advertisement

Cannot abide fruit polo's or wine gums.

We love wine gums here , not Maynards though , they are rubbish . A little factory wine gums sold by discount store are the best imho

Always have a supply of wine gums(Aldi).Slightly off topic ,but why cannot you get sarsaparilla tablets that taste anything like "when I was a lad"!

Love midget gems. Fruit polo’s I haven’t seen for years.

Skittles, sugar and e-numbers but an occasional treat along with the pink and white nougat bars I used to get at the Saturday morning cinema club at Bootle Odeon when I was a nipper.

American hard gums
Midget gems
Star burst
Skittles
Haribo
Wine gums
Sports mix

The list goes on. Can eat them until I'm unwell. I love a chewy sweet

Last edited:
We love wine gums here , not Maynards though , they are rubbish .

Our local sweet shop (owned by a chap called Jimmy Moore, who always wore a white 3/4 length doctor's type coat in the shop - and who seemed to loath children with a passion strangely enough) used to offer two varieties of Maynards - hard and soft. The soft ones are like the ones you see everywhere today, but the hard ones were darker in colour, and with a texture closer to vulcanised rubber than a jellied sweet. Your jaw muscles would be aching after working your way through the first one. For the hard-core aficionados. Lovely :)

Haven't seen them in decades - probably withdrawn on grounds of breaching many Elf'n Safety requirements I suspect.

I went through a phase in my Uni days - I would buy Wine Gums by the 7lb box. Helped revision. But my jaw ached quite a lot!

I still like them. But rarely now - and never by the box

Love midget gems. Fruit polo’s I haven’t seen for years.

Skittles, sugar and e-numbers but an occasional treat along with the pink and white nougat bars I used to get at the Saturday morning cinema club at Bootle Odeon when I was a nipper.
I wouldn't sweat the E numbers, they are all clean label these days. Things like beetroot extract and turmeric. It's a long way from the synthetic coal tar dyes of the 80s (which were harmless anyway) so unless you have an allergy to red or purple fruits or carrots you are in the clear.

I remember the glass jars full of sweets back in the day. Cola cubes, sour pluums still spring to mind, in fact I’m sure there was an article on the news last year about an old style sweet shop up for sale that only sold sweets by the paper bag.
Remember the sound of the sweets rattling on to the metal weighing scales, happy days!

Wine gums and fruit pastels as well oh and in those days Topics were the same size as Mars Bars!

Oh, got one, E132. Seems that is a coal tar job. Surprises me.

Interesting, it seems to be the blues that are a problem. Reds, yellows, oranges, easy. Colour chemistry can be tricky in these low water, high acid, long shelf life foods. It's a lot easier in short life stuff, natural stuff like beetroot extract work fine provide d the pH is stable.

Funny how Spangles died. They were just boiled sweets after all, kids bought plenty then and still do. I never understand how one brand lives and another dies.

I'm currently working in a factory producing, amongst other things, fondant fancies. The taste of 70s children's parties. Who buys them today? Somebody must, the volumes are incredible. Yet similar products have died.

Recently deceased: Maynards (and by another name; Clarnico?)) soft mints in individual wrappers. By far and away the nicest soft mints for those who are dentally challenged. No idea why they stopped making them, late last year.

My father had a newsagent/confectionery shop during my teens. My sister and I used to do midnight raids down the back stairs. I've regretted it ever since!!!!!

By far and away the most addictive confectionery for me was Thornton's toffee varieties 15+ years ago. Dental work increased at least twofold and more or less ordered the plot for the dental graveyard I have now. Stonehenge in miniature.

advertisement

Back