advertisement

Brexit next week: give me a positive effect it will have on my daily life

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. It's a valid point if someone is using electoral performance to compare Varadkar and Johnson. The average Irish voter has much more say in the composition of their government than his or her UK counterpart, and if Boris Johnson had to compete in a system that was similarly representative, the votes that his party did win would not be sufficient to make him PM without coalition - something that the Conservatives' manifesto made very, very unlikely.

This is just going of raw vote-share, without considering that because proportional systems allow voters to vote for the candidate they actually want, rather than against the one they don't, the vote tends to be spread more widely, which would have diminished both the Labour and Conservative share, to the benefit of Lib-Dem, Greens and the smaller parties.

OK its valid conversation piece, yet at same time completely irrelevant since it's not about to happen.

I do get PR, but FPTP is system we have. PR also imperfect and there are many examples.

I am going out with my veterans hockey team for cocktails. Probably wont even notice the dark hour. Unless the power drops and the tills stop working and my Uber app crashes.

I wish you all the very best for the Brave New World to come.

http://www.kinkajoubar.co.uk

Bourbon sours for me.

@tonerei, it's worth pointing out that if the UK election had been run under the Irish electoral system, Boris wouldn't even have a majority, and the UK would most likely be run by a Labour/Lib-dem coalition with confidence-and-supply support from SNP. There would also be six to ten Green Party MPs in parliament.. and probably 15-20 Brexit Party ones too.

If the UK system were the same as the Irish, in which Constitutional change has to go to referenda, we would have rejected Maastricht, not to mention Lisbon (as Lisbon wouldn't have been an issue) and we wouldn't be in this awful situation now.

OK its valid conversation piece, yet at same time completely irrelevant since it's not about to happen.

I do get PR, but FPTP is system we have. PR also imperfect and there are many examples.
We let the best be the enemy of the good when the referendum on PR was lost. And as a result we’re stuck with something far worse than we were offered.

Back to the OP, the only thing I can come up with is not paying Farage's salary or those of his rag-tag of muppets that we would never have elected to govern the UK, but somehow thought it was helpful to inflict on our partners.

The Sony Movies Action channel has just shown The Bunker, the story of Hitler's final days, starring Anthony Hopkins. That wasn't just a coincidence on Brexit day!

So who is going down to Parliament Square tonight to do the Hokey Cokey with Johnson, Tommy Robinson, Mark Francois aka Petit-Anglais, and the rest of the Brexiteer racists?

It seems like some of the most vocal Brexiteers on pfm don't even live in England, which makes them hypocritical at best.

Knees bend, arms stretch - Fart, fart, fart.

Jack

We let the best be the enemy of the good when the referendum on PR was lost. And as a result we’re stuck with something far worse than we were offered.

AV is not a proportional system; it leads to the election of a single member per constituency and offers no compensation for party vote-share across multiple constituencies, therefore cannot be proportional. It gives results which are more representative within each constituency than FPTP, but would not necessarily been any more proportional across 650 constituencies.

When the AV referendum bill was going through parliament, Caroline Lucas proposed an amendment that would have seen a PR system included in the ballot - it was voted down, principally by Tory MPs who now claim, quite disingenuously, that we have "had a referendum on PR and it was rejected" whenever the subject of PR is mentioned.

C4 News, it’s like a cross between Viz and A Clockwork Orange-

Check the sinister Oompa-loompa, he kept shuffling into the camera shot and licking his lips.

.and South Shields’ finest,

when you see this, you know we are truly fcuked.

I was however referring to those worse off and more likely to be walking around their bedsit with a duvet draped over their shoulders after a visit to the food bank.

Ah the moral high ground of humanitarianism that is the EU.

Germany[edit]
There are over 900 food banks in Germany, up from just 1 in 1993.[95] In 2014, 1.5 million people a week used food banks in Germany.[68]

France[edit]
In total, around 3.5 million people rely on food banks in France.[96] One provider, the Banque Alimentaire has over 100 branches in France, serving 200 million meals a year to 1.85 million people.[97]

God forbid if the EU were to build a wall to prevent millions of refugees flocking in from Syria and Africa.
So we shall call the payments of the 10's of millions to Turkey and Algeria, humanitarian aid..

Moral high ground or hypocrisy.

Germany[edit]
There are over 900 food banks in Germany, up from just 1 in 1993.[95] In 2014, 1.5 million people a week used food banks in Germany.[68]

France[edit]
In total, around 3.5 million people rely on food banks in France.[96] One provider, the Banque Alimentaire has over 100 branches in France, serving 200 million meals a year to 1.85 million people.[97]

God forbid if the EU were to build a wall to prevent millions of refugees flocking in from Syria and Africa.
So we shall call the payments of the 10's of millions to Turkey and Algeria, humanitarian aid..

We’re out. Celebrate with a food bank donation.

Germany[edit]

France[edit]

Re read your original post ( you know the one with bold bits suggesting remainers claiming there would be no food or medicine) you'll find that I merely replied to your presumption of great comforts enjoyed by all.

Thanks for the research tho. A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back