advertisement

Brexit next week: give me a positive effect it will have on my daily life

Status
Not open for further replies.
You lost. Gerroverit!

https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...they-lost-and-now-be-constructive-over-brexit

EPiHTiwXkAI2ZD1

What, like Major's Eurosceptic ba****ds did for all those years. Lost in '75, didn't get over it. Nor will I.

I am not suggesting Boris does anything of the sort. I am just telling you that Norway reportedly kicks ass vs the EU in fish negotiations. Forget fish for the UK so that you can allow my point to sink in. Small trade partner can do well against large trade partner.
OK, accepting the principle, where do we have potential to kick ass? Apart from financial services, whose mismanagement and preferential treatment bears some responsibility for bringing us to our present sorry state.

But they were stuffed if we stayed anyway. they voted for Hope.

Now that I get. My complaint has never been with people who voted but with snake oil salesmen selling false hope, or offering reassurance with one breath while having to trade those reassurances away with the next.

I understand why people voted for hope and positivity, shame on those peddling fantasy for their own political ends though.

OK, accepting the principle, where do we have potential to kick ass? Apart from financial services, whose mismanagement and preferential treatment bears some responsibility for bringing us to our present sorry state.

Cod War II :cool:

Talking of moving: went to a magnificent performance of Beethoven 9 by the Halle last night. Felt moved, with a fair few others, to get to my feet for the Ode to Joy. Apparently this caused some minor problems for members of the Halle Choir, some of whom spent the rest of the performance trying not to cry.
That's just the basses trying to hit that run of treble Fs in the middle section ...

I'm only happy to "get over it" should those that voted to leave agree to compensate both myself and my immediate family for any losses (directly or indirectly) attributable to leaving the EU.

I am happy to be constructive. I also retain the right to hold all of those behind the Vote Leave campaign to account every times they fail to deliver on their campaign promises.

@tonerei, it's worth pointing out that if the UK election had been run under the Irish electoral system, Boris wouldn't even have a majority, and the UK would most likely be run by a Labour/Lib-dem coalition with confidence-and-supply support from SNP. There would also be six to ten Green Party MPs in parliament.. and probably 15-20 Brexit Party ones too.

Talking of moving: went to a magnificent performance of Beethoven 9 by the Halle last night. Felt moved, with a fair few others, to get to my feet for the Ode to Joy. Apparently this caused some minor problems for members of the Halle Choir, some of whom spent the rest of the performance trying not to cry.
..there was too much of that foreign music comin in. We need more Elgar, Andrew Lloyd Weber, Land of Hope and Glory, Swan Lake and such like. I’d ban these foreign conductors an’ all.

@tonerei, it's worth pointing out that if the UK election had been run under the Irish electoral system, Boris wouldn't even have a majority, and the UK would most likely be run by a Labour/Lib-dem coalition with confidence-and-supply support from SNP. There would also be six to ten Green Party MPs in parliament.. and probably 15-20 Brexit Party ones too.

It’s not though, so that’s fatuous

The fishing thing seems straightforward: Norway actually cares about it’s fishing industry. The UK pretends to. UK fishermen were used as prawns in the Brexit debate.

It’s not though, so that’s fatuous
No. It's a valid point if someone is using electoral performance to compare Varadkar and Johnson. The average Irish voter has much more say in the composition of their government than his or her UK counterpart, and if Boris Johnson had to compete in a system that was similarly representative, the votes that his party did win would not be sufficient to make him PM without coalition - something that the Conservatives' manifesto made very, very unlikely.

This is just going of raw vote-share, without considering that because proportional systems allow voters to vote for the candidate they actually want, rather than against the one they don't, the vote tends to be spread more widely, which would have diminished both the Labour and Conservative share, to the benefit of Lib-Dem, Greens and the smaller parties.

Norway has an entirely different and more contructive negotiation approach and partnership. They also have not left most of their expertise with that partner. You are, as usual, straw clutching. You know full well how negotiation works.
Agree you may be right. But it has nowt to do with how big you are. So your point needs to go back in the bag.

..there was too much of that foreign music comin in. We need more Elgar, Andrew Lloyd Weber, Land of Hope and Glory, Swan Lake and such like. I’d ban these foreign conductors an’ all.
Yeah, innit. Mind you, that Lloyd Weber bloke, name sounds a bit forrin’. Mind you, I’ve got one of his barbecues and it’s a bit of alright.

Swan lake, weren’t that by that Russian bloke. Don’t we have something closer to home? Did Delius write about duck ponds? Or was that Constable?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back