advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make no mistake the EU should have moved with more speed. But they would have had to concede more to big pharma, and would have been roundly criticised for doing so.

Broadly, I agree with everything you wrote, except for the above. I think the EU made a terrible mistake in driving a hard bargain with the pharmaceutical companies this time around (and this from someone living in the US, who experiences pharma rapaciousness first hand). The cost of the ongoing COVID situation is absolutely immense, and, in such circumstances, paying $10 less for a pfizer/moderna or $2 less for an AZ vaccine is being penny wise and pound foolish. If it cost $100 per person to immunize the population 3 months sooner it would be a screaming bargain. The UK and US threw money at the pharma companies, and are now reaping the reward.

This was covered in "How to vaccinate the world".

Broadly, I agree with everything you wrote, except for the above. I think the EU made a terrible mistake in driving a hard bargain with the pharmaceutical companies this time around (and this from someone living in the US, who experiences pharma rapaciousness first hand). The cost of the ongoing COVID situation is absolutely immense, and, in such circumstances, paying $10 less for a pfizer/moderna or $2 less for an AZ vaccine is being penny wise and pound foolish. If it cost $100 per person to immunize the population 3 months sooner it would be a screaming bargain. The UK and US threw money at the pharma companies, and are now reaping the reward.

This was covered in "How to vaccinate the world".

I agree with you I wasn't arguing that it was right, but trust me they would have got stick for it. The disadvantage of buying on behalf of others rather than being answerable to nobody but your own population.

I agree with you I wasn't arguing that it was right, but trust me they would have got stick for it. The disadvantage of buying on behalf of others rather than being answerable to nobody but your own population.
Well done Steve, control and accountability.

A business has the right to relocate to wherever the labour is cheapest, and labour does not have the right to prevent it from doing so. There is ECJ case law on this. This represents freedom of movement of the establishment (capital) over labour (people).
You’ve obviously never tried employing people in Eastern Europe. Annual pay increases of 10% just to try and hold on to people.

For someone who is so widely travelled (and travailed) and assertively, indeed aggressively, absolutist about the righteousness of the EU, you are shockingly naive about the Euro. I suggest you do some reading, or better still, if you know any economists...
Oh well done. Reversion to your usual content free superior "all the fault of the Euro and anyone who says otherwise knows nothing" ?
Really. I thought you were better than that.

I certainly wouldn't broadcast any affiliation with the ****ing Tories to the NHS personnel administering the vaccine.

I certainly wouldn't broadcast any affiliation with the ****ing Tories to the NHS personnel administering the vaccine.

My 'Boris/Dummings/Queer-Fogg/Raab/Sunak/Shapps/Doormat/Ugli/Govey-govey cabinet of arseholes' face mask went down well at the local vaccination centre in Woodbridge!

A team manager receives praise for a positive result and the sack for failure. The key events that led to the Boris jab success were the 2016 referendum and the December 2019 GE.

And that is so blatantly NOT true of Alex de Piffle Waffle and his fawning cronies. However, I do wish AdPW had been jabbed a few )lots of) times, but with rather more 'success', the halfwit keeps getting up, albeit looking more and more tousled

Very little to do with 'team Boris' .. but he really does want you to think so.

Interesting. Who set up the UK Vaccine Task force, and to whom does its Chair and head co-ordinator, Kate Bingham, report? Ursula von der Leyen and the EC?

Interesting. Who set up the UK Vaccine Task force, and to whom does its Chair and head co-ordinator, Kate Bingham, report? Ursula von der Leyen and the EC?

To be fair that consisted of giving permission to pay anything and agree to any conditions - I would have trusted you to secure product quickly with a blank cheque and no constraints. Ursula von der Leyen should certainly have done similar.

I'm grateful that "team" Boris who was forced to go with NHS structure for distribution rather than private cronies because of the scale involved - you would hope the "world class" test and trace and PPE procurement fiascos had taught even Johnson something. His usual instinct is to double down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back