advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is this for taking back control?

Unless you mean autocratic and not democratic control...

You keep (wrongly) accusing the EU of being undemocratic? How's this for democracy?

Brexit: Anger as ministers use obscure rule to deny MPs a vote on blocking chlorinated chicken imports

An obscure rule is to be used to deny MPs a crucial vote aimed at blocking imports of chlorinated chicken and hormone-fed beef, sparking fresh fears about food quality after Brexit.
Ministers are facing fierce criticism over their tactic to defeat an attempt to give powers to a new watchdog – amid suspicions that future trade deals, particularly with the US, will water down food and animal welfare standards.
The move to prevent debate on a key amendment expected to be backed by Tory rebels in a Commons showdown on Monday has been condemned as “unbelievable” by the peer who introduced it in the Lords.
The tactic was also attacked by the Conservative chair of the Commons environment committee, who told The Independent: “The Commons is wrongly being denied a say on a technicality.”
Neil Parish added: “The government should allow a vote. These are really important matters for the future of food and farming.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ted-chicken-eu-mps-boris-johnson-b914047.html

Ah, yes, an emotive matter of which I'm well aware, Mr Cut & Paste, but a matter for our Parliament, and ultimately, our electorate.

In the meantime animal welfare and food standards in the UK on the whole comfortably exceed those of the EU. Read up about industrial Danish pork production and mortality rates amongst sows and piglets. You can take in a nice belly full of state aid while you're at it. Veal sandwiches whilst you're taking in a good old-fashioned bullfight, perhaps in Barrancos in Eastern Portugal, anyone?

I'll leave you to do the cutting and pasting.

There's no stench more rank than that of the hypocrisy of the working class loathing, fanatically pro-EU 'intellectual' left. Or I thought there wasn't.

Nothing hypocritical about pro-EU support among people who recognise that employment prospects, workers and consumer protections and standard and free movement are benefits to them. There is more than a whiff of hypocrisy from you over your faux concern for 'sovereignty' when you are happy for it to be abused at will by a UK government - including law breaking. The EU is about as un-democratic as the UK is democratic and you and your tribe certainly don't want out of the the EU to benefit worker and consumer rights. Easier exploitation is the objective along with windfalls for donors and backers. See Covid crisis for numerous examples.

Ah, yes, an emotive matter of which I'm well aware, Mr Cut & Paste, but a matter for our Parliament, and ultimately, our electorate.

In the meantime animal welfare and food standards in the UK on the whole comfortably exceed those of the EU. Read up about industrial Danish pork production and mortality rates amongst sows and piglets. You can take in a nice belly full of state aid while you're at it. Veal sandwiches whilst you're taking in a good old-fashioned bullfight, perhaps in Barrancos in Eastern Portugal, anyone?

No they don't. I work in food, as you know. The EU has done a great deal for food standards, the UK has dragged its feet.

It isn't my creed, Claire.
never said it was.

Fast-grown hyper-pumped up hormone-fuelled 40 day broilers dipped in bleach is probably one of the best things to happen to promote the vegetarian cause in a long time, but I would rather the chicks were never born to suffer in the first place.

Nice deflection.

I guess you prefer Farage and BoJo as your sources of information. I'll leave you to find them yourself... And keep on dreaming of pink fluffy unicorns in high sunny pastures.

No they don't. I work in food, as you know. The EU has done a great deal for food standards, the UK has dragged its feet.

I would agree that the UK lags behind some EU member countries (as opposed to the EU per se) in specific areas - farrowing crates for sows, caging of chickens, particularly broilers, tail-docking and tooth clipping of piglets, certain aspects of the dairy industry, and pre-stunning of animals in the instances where there are exemptions, to take some examples. There is always more that could be done. But on the whole standards in UK farming comfortably exceed EU minimum standards - and certainly the standards of many individual EU countries - and are tightly regulated.

We used to be pig farmers. I did a lot of castrating back in the day.

Yes. Unless you wish to give animals the right to vote.

Oh, dear.

From The Sunday Times....

"Dominic Cummings has told ministers to publicly keep their distance from the Trump administration."

Just in case we were in any doubt as to who we 'elected'.

And a bit more about democracy and accountability, Tory style.

"In a dramatic move, the Information Commissioner’s Office has ordered the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) to hand over the report into Exercise Cygnus, or explain its decision for refusing, by 23 October."

Let's just add that to the suppression of other reports, Russian support for Brexit, Patel's behaviour at the HO ...the list goes on.

Currently watching Jenrick admit to Marr that his constituency has received funds approved by an MP whose own constituency had funds approved by, err, Jenrick. Democracy in action.

Fast-grown hyper-pumped up hormone-fuelled 40 day broilers dipped in bleach is probably one of the best things to happen to promote the vegetarian cause in a long time, but I would rather the chicks were never born to suffer in the first place.

Yeah, it's certainly feeding into the whole veg/vegan debate, and the teenagers are receptive to the message. If you add in decent meat free alternatives for typical fast food being available in high street chains, and there does really seem to be a move away from relying on cheap meat to feed the masses. Our son recently decided to not eat chicken when out at restaurants 'as he didn't know how they had been treated', and i've a feeling he's not alone amongst his generation for questioning this stuff.

From The Sunday Times....

"Dominic Cummings has told ministers to publicly keep their distance from the Trump administration."

Just in case we were in any doubt as to who we 'elected'.

And a bit more about democracy and accountability, Tory style.

"In a dramatic move, the Information Commissioner’s Office has ordered the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) to hand over the report into Exercise Cygnus, or explain its decision for refusing, by 23 October."

Let's just add that to the suppression of other reports, Russian support for Brexit, Patel's behaviour at the HO ...the list goes on.

Currently watching Jenrick admit to Marr that his constituency has received funds approved by an MP whose own constituency had funds approved by, err, Jenrick. Democracy in action.

Didn't the willypeople vote to take back control from all those EU unelected bureaucrats?

Or perhaps it was just from foreign unelected bureaucrats...
Englanders are happy to be vassalised by Oxbridge-Etonians as long as they're Brits?

Just don't make them wear masks...

best solution to the chlorinated chicken thing is to not buy chlorinated chicken; kill the market by non-participation. In fact try and not put bits of dead animal in your mouth at all challenge 2020-2021

Unfortunately you won`t kill the market for the cheapest option by trying to convince people it`s a bad thing. Chlorine washed chicken is probably as safe as any other mass produced chicken, it`s the appalling conditions the chickens were kept in making chlorine washing a requirement that is the real evil.

I. But on the whole standards in UK farming comfortably exceed EU minimum standard
So do other EU countries.

- and certainly the standards of many individual EU countries -
And many EU countries better ours.

and are tightly regulated. - Yes, and who drove the bulk of the regulation s? Not the UK, that's why the farmers have complained so loudly over the last 30-40 years.

I'm currently earning a living from a great irony. There has been a change in EU regs around annatto, which is a natural food colouring. Our newly sovereign UK is freed of the yoke of the EU, so we are free to...adopt it wholesale. Yay sovereignty. You show 'em. Still, it's an ill wind, the work is going fine. Look out for norbixin appearing in cakes and annatto disappearing between now and January. Norbixin is a water extract of annatto.

Those appaling conditions already exist, intensive 40 day broilers are already a thing and bad enough. Pls, don’t eat meat. Bottom line price for mass-consumption means it’s default shitty. Younger people are getting wise to this.

[...]
best solution to the chlorinated chicken thing is to not buy chlorinated chicken; kill the market by non-participation. In fact try and not put bits of dead animal in your mouth at all challenge 2020-2021

However, the problem is the US. As part of their desire to level down the market in any agreement, they are pushing to prevent labelling, even to the extent that marking the provenance of produce will not be allowed. So, we'll never know whether its US chlorinated chicken or not, except maybe by price, but then, do you really trust the big supermarket to share their price savings with Joe public ?

What part of don’t eat chicken - at all are you having a problem understanding?

Stuff like chlorinated chicken is just the start, hormone reared cattle and polluted fisheries are also happening. Micro plastics and extinction level farming. Eating meat will soon be synonymous with coprophagia.

it’s a big sell for vegetarianism.

That’s stateism for you. The cult of unfettered capitalism ain’t looking too good for the majority of people rn either.

Naive. Both orders.

big difference between that and creepy ‘I show you mine why you no show me yours” type posts.
The difference is your comment is made in a disparaging manner as per your usual internet warrior persona. The comment from Andrew was a question.

What part of don’t eat chicken - at all are you having a problem understanding?
Probably the silly bit about “don’t eat chicken”

I had chicken on Thurs and will have more today, but not from a supermarket. I also eat beef, lamb and pork regularly. I won’t be giving it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back