advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2023 ‘Epic Fail’ box set edition)

EV just needs to keep repeating this little irrelevance. Despite Turnip Island now being ‘sovereign’ once again, Johnson was able to commit gross misconduct in office starting with his unlawful closure of Parliament and lying to the Queen, for three full years. The public couldn’t rid themselves of him, that task fell to his reluctant MPs many of whom owed their existence to him, after he lied *to them* just once too often.

His party just kept finding a replacement, one of whom caused a run on U.K. Govt bonds and lasted just six weeks in office. They’ve permanently devalued the pound, wrecked the economy and public services and have failed to account for £billions in public money, some of which we know went to friends and family, yet they will live out their prescribed five year reign with no ability for the public to dismiss them while they lied, partied and had their hands in the till.

And killed trading in second-hand Hi-Fi with our friends and neigbours.

I bought my EAR509Anniversay amps from Vienna (from a director of the Austrian state broadcaster), I sold a really nice phono stage to a guy in Rome and a Classe amp to a metal head guitarist in France. My Devialet came back to me in Glasgow from the factory in France via Germany within 20hrs of me paying for it over the phone.

That was before the yearned for deadline for full Brexit customs regulations. It’s killed the s/h hifi market, stuff isn’t shifting despite the low pound against the € making your FS items very attractive to a large number of buyers in the EU

Still, mustn’t grumble I got my ****ing sovereignty back, didn’t I? I’m going to play the sovereignty song on it just now.

The EU provides bigcorp with far more effective cover than Westminster. It's all about accountability, or lack of it, which is why Brussels is crawling with well remunerated industrial lobbyists, 30 odd thousand of them. I don't disagree at all with the notion that the Westminster house now needs to be put in order. One thing at a time.

Talking of environmental protections, one of the biggest sponsors of that world-class environment destroyer, the CAP, was the lobbying body for my wealthy barley-cum-shed-cum-solar Baron friend upstream, the NFU. The NFU, unsurprisingly, did not support Brexit.

In that case, why forget to mention it in your post? If your concern was brevity, you could have omitted this paragraph:

"it (antipathy to the EU) both existed and exists across the bloc. The UK wasn't even considered the most Eurosceptic nation prior to the referendum. Even Macron expressed relief that it hadn't taken place in France first"​

which does seem a tad disingenuous* and engineered to suggest the opposite.

Brexit was the result of a conscious campaign over decades by people determined to get the UK out of the EU who refused to "move on" after losing the argument. One of the main reasons it happened in the UK rather than elsewhere in Europe is simply that the Murdochs and Barclays ruled the roost in Britain. It is going to take decades of "not moving on" from Brexit to have a chance of reversing this disastrous decision.

*one of your favourite words

I have no idea what your point is?

I was responding to another poster on the topic of historic ambivalence to the EU, prior to the referendum and before thing such as immigration became such an issue, and simply pointed out in passing that such ambivalence was EU wide, my point being not only that such ambivalence was far from limited to the UK, but (though I didn't specifically articulate it) that even countries which didn't have Murdoch or Barclay papers to read harboured sometimes quite high degrees of Euroscepticism. I wasn't discussing post-brexit sentiments, bar the fact that I qualified my 'existed' with 'exists', which it does. The fact that such ambivalence has reduced across the EU (and here in the UK, as it happens) is not in any way relevant to the point that I was making, and is a quite separate conversation.

You do this quite often. Its quite 'twisty'. I don't feel that I should need to explain it, you're perfectly intelligent. You must know you're doing it?

I bought my EAR509Anniversay amps from Vienna (from a director of the Austrian state broadcaster), I sold a really nice phono stage to a guy in Rome and a Classe amp to a metal head guitarist in France. My Devialet came back to me in Glasgow from the factory in France via Germany within 20hrs of me paying for it over the phone.

That was before the yearned for deadline for full Brexit customs regulations. It’s killed the s/h hifi market, stuff isn’t shifting despite the low pound against the € making your FS items very attractive to a large number of buyers in the EU

Still, mustn’t grumble I got my ****ing sovereignty back, didn’t I? I’m going to play the sovereignty song on it just now.

Bloody annoying, but on balance, somewhat 'first world'. Even I would concede that brexit has caused some more grievous difficulties than you being able to flog or buy a hi-fi component.

I sold a CD player to someone in Australia a few years ago, and the transfer was very quick and efficient, without any problems at all. Likewise I have bought all manner of photographic equipment from Japan and never had any issues at all. Are these difficulties confined to Europe?

Bloody annoying, but on balance, somewhat 'first world'. Even I would concede that brexit has caused some more grievous difficulties than you being able to flog or buy a hi-fi component.

I sold a CD player to someone in Australia a few years ago, and the transfer was very quick and efficient, without any problems at all. Likewise I have bought all manner of photographic equipment from Japan and never had any issues at all. Are these difficulties confined to Europe?
Ah, you’re trading with the commonwealth! I suspect though that like trade in general ( best with your closest biggest customs-free partners), most of us doing hifi s/h trade were doing it with Europe. I’ve previously bought new from Japan but the meagre value of my turnip island pounds and draconian U.K. import charges knocked that permanently on the head. I’ll take your advice though and keep an eye on Gumtree in Tasmania, you never know.

I have no idea what your point is?

I was responding to another poster on the topic of historic ambivalence to the EU, prior to the referendum and before thing such as immigration became such an issue, and simply pointed out in passing that such ambivalence was EU wide, my point being not only that such ambivalence was far from limited to the UK, but (though I didn't specifically articulate it) that even countries which didn't have Murdoch or Barclay papers to read harboured sometimes quite high degrees of Euroscepticism. I wasn't discussing post-brexit sentiments, bar the fact that I qualified my 'existed' with 'exists', which it does. The fact that such ambivalence has reduced across the EU (and here in the UK, as it happens) is not in any way relevant to the point that I was making, and is a quite separate conversation.

You do this quite often. Its quite 'twisty'. I don't feel that I should need to explain it, you're perfectly intelligent. You must know you're doing it?
No problem. I'm not going to trawl through the whole string of posts to give you a blow-by-blow explanation, it gets tedious for everyone. I thought my point was obvious, but you (another perfectly intelligent bloke) say you don't see it, so maybe it wasn't expressed in the crispest way. And it certainly wasn't of crucial importance.

Hey, everyone knows English hifi (as with everything English) is world-leading so why would you want to buy any of that foreign muck anyway?
As a Remainer, I'm thinking of our long-lost friends and neighbours. Maybe I didn't get the memo.

Yeah.
We recently had an unelected King, an unelected PM and an unelected Lord Foreign Secretary (from the House of unelected law-makers) "represent" us at COP28 to discuss the most important issue facing our species. It feels good. Like nothing matters any more.
The King has no real power but he makes the occasional good speech.

Brexit was about doing more trade, not less.

Ah, you’re trading with the commonwealth! I suspect though that like trade in general ( best with your closest biggest customs-free partners), most of us doing hifi s/h trade were doing it with Europe. I’ve previously bought new from Japan but the meagre value of my turnip island pounds and draconian U.K. import charges knocked that permanently on the head. I’ll take your advice though and keep an eye on Gumtree in Tasmania, you never know.

Does turnip island have better trading arrangements with the Commonwealth than it does the EU? Is Japan a member of the Commonwealth?

Every day's a school day on pfm.

advertisement

Back