advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect (2022 remastered edition) II

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I bought my Rolex GMT-Master in December 1975, it cost me under $AU300, as there were then 3 Swiss francs to the Australian Dollar (yes! A GMT-Master cost 800 and something francs!). Now it's somewhere around 0.60 Swiss francs to the $AU.
iirc I bought a pair of JBL L110’s in 1980 for ~$500US a pair, and a Technics SU-V8 amp for ~$100US when the rate was $2.34 to £1.

It’s not $2.34 to £1 anymore.

Just joshin’ like

kpoAv8s.jpg

I think (hope) that's what Labour is going to do (bold bit). Making the positive case for closer ties, small and gentle as they may be, is probably a wiser course to take politically at this time than actively leading on Brexit, as frustrating as that is to many. It will only re-ignite the culture wars (Boris's preferred 'strategy'), and a lot of voters have more immediate concerns on their minds - basic survival, the NHS, inflation, the moral free zone in No.10, etc. Also, Labour still need to build up credibility with the electorate (long Corbyn etc). 'Centering'/elevating - but not forgetting - Brexit in the political discourse will undermine that process IMO. Recent polling suggests a lot of people are beginning to wake-up to downside benefits of Brexit, a trend that could drip drip drip all the way into the next GE (especially if it is called this year). Labour should tap into, and encourage, that trend and continue to build on the local election wins by EU-friendly parties.
This guy (Phil Moorhouse) is very good on Labour strategy. This analysis looks very plausible to me.

FT - Brexit is costing the UK £100bn a year in lost output according to the government (£40bn less revenue to The Treasury). Approx 11 years worth of EU membership.

Byline Times - 64% of people say that they would support a new EU referendum within 10 years. That includes 40% of 2016 Leave voters and 40% of 2019 Tories. 53% want to see a closer relationship. 63% of people say that the UK Government – rather than the EU – is to blame for the current trade problems between GB and Northern Ireland. 81% of people not seeing any personally seeing any benefits of Brexit. There's more interesting content on their Twitter feed.

FT - Brexit is costing the UK £100bn a year in lost output according to the government (£40bn less revenue to The Treasury). Approx 11 years worth of EU membership.

Byline Times - 64% of people say that they would support a new EU referendum within 10 years. That includes 40% of 2016 Leave voters and 40% of 2019 Tories. 53% want to see a closer relationship. 63% of people say that the UK Government – rather than the EU – is to blame for the current trade problems between GB and Northern Ireland. 81% of people not seeing any personally seeing any benefits of Brexit. There's more interesting content on their Twitter feed.
Just wow. Johnson is as everyone knows, a constitutional liar yet so many were taken in by Brexit- his career defining lie. To think, there were people posting here that the amount that could be given to the NHS by stopping payments to Brussels was real.

Just wow. Johnson is as everyone knows, a constitutional liar yet so many were taken in by Brexit- his career defining lie. To think, there were people posting here that the amount that could be given to the NHS by stopping payments to Brussels was real.

And let's not forget the amount of sterling we've already splashed on getting ready for the sunlit uplands.

Well, I suppose in a way this is a positive effect of Brexit for me personally. My summer holiday trip to the UK to visit family (first since 2019) will be somewhat less expensive since the pound is so low against the dollar ($1.19 as of today).
In the "bad old days" pre Brexit it was north of $1.50.
I appreciate that this might not be a positive for most contributors to this thread. :(

Well, I suppose in a way this is a positive effect of Brexit for me personally. My summer holiday trip to the UK to visit family (first since 2019) will be somewhat less expensive since the pound is so low against the dollar ($1.19 as of today).
In the "bad old days" pre Brexit it was north of $1.50.
I appreciate that this might not be a positive for most contributors to this thread. :(
You won't be so chilled when you have to put fuel in your UK hire car. £2 a litre for diesel, my car was nt empty and the £99 max allowance for "pay at the pump" didn't get it to full. I was about 6 litres short, which would have taken it to about £111. Yowser.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back