advertisement

BMW X1 sDrive16d xLine

Fox.

I love BMWs, but no.

Yeti Yeti Yeti all the way.

P.S. sorry to hear about Jago, just scrolled up.

Blimey I'm not metrosexual enough for a Skoda.

PS thanks man, thoroughly depressed about the whole thing, convulsed and died in my arms in the surgery. File under stuff to playback at 3am. we all have those.

FFS, these dogs don't last well. Better than goldfish/hamsters, but only just. It's terribly sad when a pet dies, I've had cats in the past and now I'm not tough enough.

Fox,

How important is ground clearance to you? You seem to prefer 2WD, which means you're not really intending to off-road your car. If that is the case, you're likely to get a better ride/drive with a 120d hatch or 320d touring. The 20d engine is a gem.

Quite important. When i return I off-road every single day. Scottish pad is 2 miles offroad and farm track camber scrapes underside of most normal cars who barrel it, it's both a blessing and a curse in that it keeps folk away, but it also keeps folk away IYKWIM. Vans, couriers, postie aside its a sloooooow drive. Zafira just about manages a scrape free entry/exit but new farmer-organised resurface recent means the boulders are back and had a Nasty roller we did not see took out a cable recently. Otherwise location is perfect, track is the oh downside.

Otherwise I'm all for low slung 2wd but never gonna happen until magical scousers with 2 miles of extra Tarmac and a road grader come along and say "hey mate, got some left over from a job... Need any Tarmac done?"

Leaving track car at end of track and sporty number for road doesn't work for us. Tried it. 4x4 or a high slung 2wd is the solution everone else here done the last 13 years I have lived here, otherwise no I never go green laning for fun anymore I used to but it's well out of my system.

Big dogs live generally shorter lves.

Are you expecting to drive this on snow? I ask because our car park used to have a lot of BMWs (until Mercedes bought us out) and most drivers who had BMWs had many problems getting to or from work, and some even had trouble getting out of the car park at work (much worse than any other make of car by a long way). Winter tyres will mitigate against this.

I read all the horror stories about "BMW must have winter tyres" before buying my M135i

admitedly last winter was not too severe but I didnt get stuck once with rwd and 320bhp

If you cant get by with 4wd and less power you shouldn't be driving in it

Bubs spot on here Fox. Everything you have described as a "want or requirement" the Yeti will fulfill in spades. Don`t think of it as a Skoda Think of it as a VW, but probably more reliable and better thought through / designed.

I don`t own one and have never owned one (yet) but needing a 4*4 myself and having done tons of research I have concluded its about the most environmentally friendly of 4*4's currently available. (Be careful when looking at adverts for them, most seem to be 2wd)

... 90miles @ 50mph, really?

I have run-flats on my 520d and recently did around 60 miles at 50 mph after a puncture. No real problems other than you do have to keep to the 50 mph limit otherwise the car wanders quite alarmingly.

Re yeti: Oh god another dealer to visit. Jesus. Not really a dealer very close by, looks ok but reviews i read all seem distinctly average with a few gushing ones (TG took,the piss out of). Losing the will to live, frankly so going to keep shortlist.... short. Yes run flats are necessary now spares are absent as standard. Pump in repair goop never really worked for me when I did need to use it.

Compsrison wise BMW has lowest fuel cost and emissions Kia has biggest trunk smallest engine but averages on engine and emissions with the Q3 recent Audi comments put me off. BMW has smallest (thoroughly mean sized) trunk. Audi has gentler suspension possibly M version can even that out. It's down to the drive... Skoda average mpg sucks compared to my short list, but they all lie...

After discussion with ms fox I am getting my own little used 2 seater (the teeny weeny penii) for myself so we are clearing out various cars we have accumulated in fact by the end of the week all but the Pajero will be towed and sold off and going back to a practical car for her and household and trip abroad etc plus a used totally stupid impractical small format runabout for me and will not be used on the track. She likes the X1 as do I so the Yeti better not live up to the few gushing and be more like the more common guarded reviews. Because I'm tired of this. Only the BMW is so far a nice experience and spunking up a wad for cars ought to be fun, not a chore.

My DNA is strangely resistant to Skoda, yes yes yes I know, they have reformed....

Are you expecting to drive this on snow? I ask because our car park used to have a lot of BMWs (until Mercedes bought us out) and most drivers who had BMWs had many problems getting to or from work, and some even had trouble getting out of the car park at work (much worse than any other make of car by a long way). Winter tyres will mitigate against this.

No, they don't, Ian, at least not on a 1-Series in Swizzieland. The wife of one of our lab folk has one and it stays in the garage in winter, when there's snow and ice around, and she takes the train.

The modern dilemma Bub mentioned in his cart thread, too much choice, too much competition too much of everything. You can read review and opinions until you run around in circles. Why are car dealerships so awful?

You own ATC 100s, which I think goes naturally with BMW ownership. Should you ever upgrade to 150s, you'll need a Cayenne, of course. Simple, really.

Me, I own ATC 25s. Skoda Citigo, I think.

You own ATC 100s, which I think goes naturally with BMW ownership. Should you ever upgrade to 150s, you'll need a Cayenne, of course. Simple, really.

150s for me would result in a severe loss of bass energy. Dual c6 subs plus quad 12" woofers and daft mutant dual 9" ers is the proper way to do it, an orgy of bass, none of this fannying about with pixie dust and 3 way gang banging.

You have 25s? When did that happen? Permanent? I thought you were horn loaded for life?

I bought the 25s in anticipation of moving the system to a smaller room. In the big room I still have for 4 days, they are not really my cup of tea, and I'm not sure that will change in the smaller room, but we will see. Lots of things to try. I may end up keeping the JBL 6332, non-horn-loaded though they be.

You have defective hearing, a defective room, a defective attitude, chronic lack of woofer surface area or chronic lacking of pixie dust attraction units, no other possibilities exist.

Back to skoda, unsure how many times I need to park a helicopter on top of one, but worth bearing in mind. Could be a deal breaker.

20d SE 5d gets a lot more you pay a bit more, I keep reading the brochure looking for the sweet spot 16d was too entry level but the more I read the more I want to get.

Wait. Wait a second. After all you've been through, don't you deserve a little something extra ?

I'll restrict myself to strongly recomending the auto-transmission. I hate auto transmissions, but the 8speed box is a big leap forward. Apart from the changes being super smooth, because it can choose between 8 ratios, the engine can operate at its optimum speed/load point.

It is particularly good when combined with a smaller, less powerfull engine.

My previous car had the 2.0D + 8sp Auto and was exceptionally good. I currently have an older model of the 318d + 6sp Auto which is not nearly as good.

Sat Nav is usefull for making re-sale easier. I generally use a portable.

I still don't understand the point of roof bars. My Tourings have all had them, but you still have to bolt the rack either to them, or to the roof mounting points.

Tinted glass for the rear windows is v.usefull for keeping the sun off the dogs.

Runflats are completely ok in my experience, and prevent you getting killed on the motorway hard shoulder.

Xenons didn't do too much for me, for some people they are a must have.

It has to be said, BMWs don't compare well with front-wheel drive competitors in terms of interior space.

I tried an x1 and thought it was pretty good, except for the ride quality in the rear seat, which was jittery.

>Tinted glass for the rear windows is v.usefull for keeping the sun off the dogs.

Bingo. Added to spec. Thats a very good point

Fox,

sorry to hear about Jago.

I've always had good luck with Subarus - may be an Outback or Forester. They seem to do more or less what you want and have plenty of space. You tend to see plenty of them in more rural settings too.

Cheer

had a test drive in a 2nd hand Honda CRV diesel yesterday, Very neat machine. But this one was just too bashed around to consider buying, otherwise would have been tempted.

advertisement

Back