advertisement

BMW X1 sDrive16d xLine

A friend's wife has the X120d auto. Lots of space for the size, if that makes sense. Very reliable (nearly two years old), expensive tyres which are no good for off road, though.

The architect across the way from me has a 2WD model. It's a nice car to ride in, but he's had a lot of expensive problems with it, ending in a major row with the garage when he refused to pay one rather hefty bill (don't know what BMW service/repair charges are like in the UK, but in Swizzieland they are horrendous). The TCS (Switzerland's AA) did a long-term test of one and more-or-less said, "Nice car, but..." They also apparently had a number of problems with it.

I notice that no BMW features in the TüV (the German testing authority) "especially reliable" list:

http://www.nordbayern.de/ressorts/s...se-autos-sind-besonders-zuverlassig-1.2559634

Having said that, I have heard of people who are perfectly happy with them. Like most cars, there seems to be an element of the luck of the draw. We bought an Opel Astra Caravan. A little while later, I found it in the ADAC (German AA) magazine with a DO NOT BUY THIS CAR recommendation. The car is approaching its 20th birthday with 328,000Km on the clock and rolls indomitably on...

P.S. The TüV statistics - the 1-series is 47th (but a lot better than the Astra!):

http://www.anusedcar.com/index.php/tuv-report-year-age/2013-4-5/307

I drove an X1 for half a day as a loaner. Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid, far too stiff a ride and visibility to the rear is a joke.

For this type of vehicle, I prefer the Skoda Yeti (yes, it's true!). No high end feeling, though.

Hm, see your point, could get a bit squinty but i Found rear viz far better than our current vaux Zafira family wagon, which also has l/r blind spots you would not believe.

So far of the BMWs short listed the xDrive 18d SE 5D
xDrive 18d Sport 5d and the xDrive 20d SE 5d

Dunno what colours yet or interior choices way to early to fix that

Audi a4 allroad maybe?

Liked the spec of the Audi q3 not yet seriously kicked its tyres yet Kia Sportage possible or for x1 money the sorento its the other choice, none of these are close to quoted x1's mpg but do they all consistently fib about that? Is there a IEEE Delta fib function I can apply? Unsure again until seriously looked at but I dislike car dealerships and have finite patience. I think Dante's purgatory is modelled on one...

Edit the more I look at it, the BMW [something] is probably the one. As long a these re not utter dogs? I have liked all so far and we want something comfy and fun to drive for a few years with good quoted gas and I don't have a lot of patience for this sort of thing.

Looks like you've got budget creep already Fox....118d to 120dSE :)

I took a look at these before deciding I needed more ponies (did see what I did there...). I thought they were pretty nice having had BMW's for about 8 years now. You need leather at least and any of the 118d and 120d's are very very good.

Beware the option list! You have been warned....I would get the prof satnav and upgraded sounds at least, oh and then there's xenons and.....you get the idea!

Jay

PS...anyone mentioned runflats yet?

Get a Dacia Duster or S/H Freelander 2.2 and use the money you've saved to buy nice things.

Freelander won't really do the euro escape, driven a few, hated them. mpg not that great too.

Yes totlly budget creep is the issue. I do want leather seats not standard in the se I tink in order for us to pick up Vegan hitch hiker chicks with and corrupt... Run flats, I just dunno... I am now used to not having a spare in the Zafira which did not even have run flats ... 90miles @ 50mph, really?

Not convinced about xenons or adaptives
Yes to upgraded sounds
Yes to iPhone interface
Yes to extra cup holders one i the middle is totally mean
Maybe roof rails, unsure now we are down to one dog
No to satnav, ours is fine we just bought a map upgrade and anyway i find google maps is better than tomtom but euro maps not upgraded yet...

20d SE 5d gets a lot more you pay a bit more, I keep reading the brochure looking for the sweet spot 16d was too entry level but the more I read the more I want to get. The brochure is a work of pure evil genius with each page turn it wants to rape me. Basterds.

I want a war over this thread, Audi drivers and BMW haters welcome.

U R Seriously going to be a bmwfan driver is it?

Not expected there, perhaps try a black Audi A3 hatchback or a small estate instead.

DS

Do I still need to take my how to drive like a cûnt driving test if I get an Audi A3 or is that just for TT flyboys?
I park like a cünt, hence considering the entry level SUV. Why take one disabled spot when the X1 looks so much better in two? Diagonally?.

Yes quite serious. Doing a lot of travel in EU, its comfy, im too young for a RV/camper and too old and cheap for a midlife crisis penis car, why not?

So far of the BMWs short listed the xDrive 18d SE 5D
xDrive 18d Sport 5d and the xDrive 20d SE 5d

Dunno what colours yet or interior choices way to early to fix that

Liked the spec of the Audi q3 not yet seriously kicked its tyres yet Kia Sportage possible or for x1 money the sorento its the other choice, none of these are close to quoted x1's mpg but do they all consistently fib about that? Is there a IEEE Delta fib function I can apply? Unsure again until seriously looked at but I dislike car dealerships and have finite patience. I think Dante's purgatory is modelled on one...

Edit the more I look at it, the BMW [something] is probably the one. As long a these re not utter dogs? I have liked all so far and we want something comfy and fun to drive for a few years with good quoted gas and I don't have a lot of patience for this sort of thing.

The Audis are well built and the 170BHP 2.0 TDI is a very good engine..married to the 4wd haldex system it is a good solution (fwd options are available).
But what shocked me when I looked at the Q3 and Q5 was the lack of space in the boot. So take a good look at that if you are planning to take hounds on long journeys.

If you like the Zafira but want something better quality, what about a VW Touran? Heaps of space, good visibility all round, really comfortable on long journeys and a good range of diesels that will get you up to 60+ mpg with the Bluemotion variant. I liked the one I had in Germany a few years ago. Doesn't put you in the Chelsea tractor club either.

The zafira was ok, it lasted its lease with no ill will. I never had all the seats in use but mpg was good. Cheap to run. Downside is its quite low for a MPV and the scottish pad has a bitch nasty track. Trendy SUVs not got tank-like clearance as my Pajero (still in woodshed working but SORNed may flog off to an enthusiast for parts) but x1 stood higher and good clearance when loaded.

Down to singular hound (Jago died last week - Autoimmune Haemolytic Anaemia very sudden, still in shock), another reason for extended road trip/eu reccie we planned it last year after the fire. 2 x hounds requires roof rails and box. Mischa the house-bear is smaller than Jago the big bear.... unsure, car also has to scale back to normal (shopping, daily runouts) use after trip.

Thinking aloud here

There is a lot to choose from and a lot of selection. I get the feeling there are no bad choices. Bottom end BMW SUV felt good after a Zafira.

Are you expecting to drive this on snow? I ask because our car park used to have a lot of BMWs (until Mercedes bought us out) and most drivers who had BMWs had many problems getting to or from work, and some even had trouble getting out of the car park at work (much worse than any other make of car by a long way). Winter tyres will mitigate against this.

Not it we can help it, I am rather liking the warmer climates. Scotland does get snow as does everywhere at this latitude but its like power cuts, something to factor in but reality rather rare. Ice, common. Rain handling more important. We did fit winter tyres this year, very good descision too.

advertisement

Back