advertisement

Blind Test Shock - Everyting sounds the same.

Here is another example, here he states that listening is better than reading about it, something I agree with, but in another thread he states please post measurements & proof, which is reading about it, he is just too contradictory & I get called a troll, it's the last thing I do on here. I post what I believe, not what can cause an argument & aggravate for the sake of it.

You are truly a saint and could be an example to each and everyone of us. I don't learn much of any use from you though whereas Julf adds to my understanding, he tends to talk about how things work as opposed to about people.

Here is another example, here he states that listening is better than reading about it, something I agree with, but in another thread he states please post measurements & proof, which is reading about it, he is just too contradictory & I get called a troll, it's the last thing I do on here. I post what I believe, not what can cause an argument & aggravate for the sake of it.

Can you please post links to postings that actually correspond to your (rather confused) claims?

I suggest you actually go back an check the facts instead of believing what you think you remember reading...

I'm sure you're sincere in your beliefs. However your posts are sometimes not the easiest to follow, and you seem not to always follow the logic of some of Julf's points. I might respectfully suggest you re-read Julf's input which over the months I've found robust, consistent, and technically insightful.

He doesn't think all speakers sound the same by the way :)

how about posting our top 10 DB tests, with anecdotes about how much money was saved by not purchasing the more expensive and identically sounding item.

Also, how they have been used to persuade manufacturers to stop defrauding the public with claims about usb cables sounding different etc.

Oh, you mean DB tests are just used as a debating tactic in internet forums, ok.

I believe that everyone hears everything differently - there are people who genuinely cannot hear differences in parts of audio reproduction (lucky them). Loudspeakers make the most difference to the sound and most people can hear those differences. Amplifiers make less of a difference and less people can hear those. Turntables even less. And when it comes to cables the majority of people don't seem to be able to hear any difference at all. That doesn't mean there are no differences and that they are not audible to some people. So it's quite illogical to say to someone who hears differences that he cant, that they dont exist.

Probably eight out of ten differences I read about on hifi forums have nothing to do with the equipment involved.

This sadly makes these boards less than reliable when it comes to using them for guidance or advice IME.

It does however make them highly entertaining and great places to make good friends.

Everything sounds the same is the most ridiculous expression I have ever heard.
Though if ones ears is full of wax everything will sound the same in a intoned way. You would be surprised by the number of people who suffer this without realizing they have a problem.
For my job my hearing is tested every year so I tend to use a cleaner on a regular basis. Many in the work force fail the hearing test. After spending a week having the wax softened then syringed out they then go on to pass the hearing test.
It might seem laughable but its a factual hearing problem .

Best to avoid syringing gave me an ear infection, you can now get your ear wax withdrawn painlessly by suction, not many GP's have the machine as it is expensive, however fortunately you can be referred to a Hospital that does.

Merlin, free advice is only worth what you paid for it.
Your bill in in the post.

In other threads I have been mentioning how all jazz sounds the same to me. After a half a lifetime of listening to Blue Notes I find nowadays I cannot tell the difference between LPs so it blends into an amorphous "jazz sounding style". I played the same side of an lp three times without even noticing. I mean, it's ok, I don't mind as everything is now new every time, but I cannot recall what I played last night except in the broadest, most general sense of it had some piano and drums and I think a saxophone, possibly trumpet and it was not one continuous track but a few, three to five I think... But anything more and I would be guessing. I like other people's music a lot but I cannot really differentiate between tracks at the moment. It does all sound the same.

You are truly a saint and could be an example to each and everyone of us. I don't learn much of any use from you though whereas Julf adds to my understanding, he tends to talk about how things work as opposed to about people.
Oh dear.

People aren't trying to stifle threads, they're just offering opinions. It wasn't clear, but that's my point.
Yes, they are stifling threads.

There are times a thread is started that is clearly asking others for their subjective opinion of 'x' versus 'y'. The same very small group of people who instantly dive in with the blind testing and abx nonsense, ARE stifling discussion in that type of thread. It would be helpful if they looked at Hydrogen Audio if the science of audio is their interest and not the enjoyment of listening to music.

I believe that everyone hears everything differently - there are people who genuinely cannot hear differences in parts of audio reproduction (lucky them). Loudspeakers make the most difference to the sound and most people can hear those differences. Amplifiers make less of a difference and less people can hear those. Turntables even less. And when it comes to cables the majority of people don't seem to be able to hear any difference at all. That doesn't mean there are no differences and that they are not audible to some people. So it's quite illogical to say to someone who hears differences that he cant, that they dont exist.

If there's less difference between turntables than amps (to your ears) then you can get a great sounding (to you) vinyl setup for peanuts.

"Lucky you".

Oh dear.

Yes, they are stifling threads.

There are times a thread is started that is clearly asking others for their subjective opinion of 'x' versus 'y'. The same very small group of people who instantly dive in with the blind testing and abx nonsense, ARE stifling discussion in that type of thread. It would be helpful if they looked at Hydrogen Audio if the science of audio is their interest and not the enjoyment of listening to music.

+1 But it is generally the newbies who haven't figured out the motley crews that operate and end up responding in innocence. They in general wise up fairly quickly and if seriously querying something move on. Maybe Tonyl runs the audio room as a service to the NHS. Deaf auld foggies can vent their spleen here rather than clog up the hospital system

There is something quite 'comfy' about these threads. Everything is entirely predictable,nothing gets settled, life drifts gently on...

If there's less difference between turntables than amps (to your ears) then you can get a great sounding (to you) vinyl setup for peanuts.

"Lucky you".

Exactly - and if you weren't able to hear differences between amplifiers you'd get a great sounding setup for even less. Many musicians are like this - couldn't much care about the system, can't hear much diffrence anyway - it's all in the music.

BIG differences Speakers, rooms, pickup cartridges and pickup arm/turntable assemblies. Weirdly engineered DACs and amps.

Small differences non-eccentrically engineered CD players, DACs and amps.

IME

Even the big differences tend to be small compared between the quality of different recordings too.

I seem to recall reading a psychology study which argued that we each hear music in a different way. So folk will never agree on which box sounds best, as said box sounds different to each set of ears. (or something along those lines).

I believe that everyone hears everything differently - there are people who genuinely cannot hear differences in parts of audio reproduction (lucky them). Loudspeakers make the most difference to the sound and most people can hear those differences. Amplifiers make less of a difference and less people can hear those. Turntables even less. And when it comes to cables the majority of people don't seem to be able to hear any difference at all. That doesn't mean there are no differences and that they are not audible to some people. So it's quite illogical to say to someone who hears differences that he cant, that they don't exist.

I find it encouraging to find people are starting to bring the concept that people are different, hear differently, the degree of difference being experienced, seek different things to the fore. Maybe in time PFM members will recognise and respect this, even incorporate it into the AUP - just because another is also into HiFi and wishing to post their view/experience on a topic does not mean they have to conform to others expectations.

How about those who believe they are stifled and wishing not to be stifled not trying to stifle others. An example that leads and inspires.

What I find strange is why those who believe everything sounds the same have any interest in being a member of a HiFi Forum.

I do not understand what the fuss is all about.

ABX or DBT does exactly what is says on the tin by removing the subjective bias.

It also murders emotional involvement and subjective enjoyment of the music, and also subjects the mind to short-term auditory memory recall in a way that it just isn't needed in nature. After around 10 to 15 seconds those test sounds just fade away from memory... It's a clunky uncomfortable test that will change how a listener perceives things in any case. Listener fatigue and failure to spot differences quickly sets in when doing ABX tests even if changes are clearly identifiable when starting the test.

As to why people might question why I used 'emotional involvement' and 'subjective enjoyment' it is because this a mental state where you're hearing the music as a whole rather than analysing the little bits or doing a test.

One area where I did find ABX testing useful was flipping between tracks with different sample rates or bitrate to see how much difference there really was between mp3, FLAC, WAV etc. Still, it was a fatiguing experience, something that the blind test advocates never talk about.

advertisement

Back