advertisement

Blind Test Shock - Everyting sounds the same.

It makes no sense that running on native Windows would allow the benefits etc... For the same reason.

I'm surprised more tweaky obsessives aren't using ASIO with dedicated hardware. This is a simple and reliable way of getting directly to the device. But it all seems completely pointless when using a USB connected device with a system supplied driver stack and API.

Paul

Ah I thought this thread was going to grow new legs with all the decades of experience measuring sound stage and how to do it for us amateurs. It is meant to be very easy but I was of the understanding this is not really possible. It would be great if this was an easy process

Please don't take this as flack (excuse pun!) - just an observation/question.

Did the chap using a Windows emulator like what he heard? It makes no sense to me that running an emulator would allow the benefits of stripped down implementation/optimised settings to allow the CPU to do its stuff optimally if an emulator is used - you're obviously technically advanced to have written this software, so I won't insult you intelligence by explaining why this is odd - but would be interested in you take.

yup, doesn't seem optimal, but then thinking also gets to the idea that everything digital sounds the same, so maybe there's something to it. Haven't heard it or tried it, just passing on some info.

It makes no sense that running on native Windows would allow the benefits etc... For the same reason.

I'm surprised more tweaky obsessives aren't using ASIO with dedicated hardware. This is a simple and reliable way of getting directly to the device. But it all seems completely pointless when using a USB connected device with a system supplied driver stack and API.

Paul

jplay uses asio, think asio is limited by the amount of copying of data that has to take place wav is interleaved, asio wants separate buffers for each channel, is that why it sounds digital ? It also runs in user mode, ks runs in kernel mode and you can write the player so no copying takes place by the player. The player still needs to tell the driver where to copy the next chunk of data from.

Agree about the usb device, driver etc, but we are where we are and I'm still finding improvements.

advertisement

Back