advertisement

Best system to go with Yamaha NS-1000's?

I'll keep looking on their site too. They've got a P3a if you fancy having a play ;-)

Can I ask what levels you were listening at when the EV woofer popped it's clogs? It wasn't those Pygmies again was it?

... I'll probably be trying out a pair of NS1000x speakers for a while. The NS1000x have the "improved" kevlar woofers.
350quid a pair with a 3 month guarantee from Audio Union. Something less BLACK would be nice, but they'll kind of match the Citation I suppose.

Blimey, that's a heck of a good price :) It'll be fun to give em a whirl. The Yams are great speakers but they really can be sensitive to what you hook em to.

The ones I'm looking at are not in particualrly great condition. There seems to be some rust/discolouration in places, but I'm assured that they play fine, and should I like them (assuming I buy the things), NS1000s are easy to have serviced or even modded :) I may well buy some spare Be drivers anyway.
Pictures of the ones I'm looking at here
An interesting site about one otaku's pair of NS100x here In Japanese, but with lots of interesting pictures.
These are 6-ohm rather than the 8-ohm of the 1000M and a little bit heavier at 42 kgs.
I think the Harmon Kardon / Accuphase amps and front end will be up to the job, but we shall see.
These really will need to work close to the rear wall (I can hear SSB's laughter), as they are large and are really quite ugly.

The ones I'm looking at are not in particualrly great condition. There seems to be some rust/discolouration in places, but I'm assured that they play fine, and should I like them (assuming I buy the things), NS1000s are easy to have serviced or even modded :) I may well buy some spare Be drivers anyway.
Pictures of the ones I'm looking at here
An interesting site about one otaku's pair of NS100x here In Japanese, but with lots of interesting pictures.
These are 6-ohm rather than the 8-ohm of the 1000M and a little bit heavier at 42 kgs.
I think the Harmon Kardon / Accuphase amps and front end will be up to the job, but we shall see.
These really will need to work close to the rear wall (I can hear SSB's laughter), as they are large and are really quite ugly.

They work a lot better close to the wall than in free space ... mids and tweeters can be had (at least for now) as can the standard NS1000M woofers, but those ones would be a different matter I think.

The carbon fibre cones are available but for a price, apparently.
The deal is done; they arrive on Thursday.
How far are your NS-1000s from the rear wall?
Something I found with the EVs was that they actually worked best fairly close to the back wall - around 30cm, basically integrating room gain to my advantage for lower frequencies, while the 12" woofs woofed from about 50hz up. This sounded good, surprisingly natural and neatly avoided some very nasty nodes just a little farther out in the room.
The EVs have similarly massive cab construction to the NS1000s, but less internal volume, and two ports.

Splendid news Joel - I look forward to hearing how they sound as you progressively move them further away from the back wall. Did you get the Krate stands thrown in at that price?

How far are your NS-1000s from the rear wall?

well they are sort of in a bay, so it varies but between 5cm and 25cm. Its worth experimenting with but to be honest I think they like it as close as they can. Its a big woofer, but its also a sealed box.

I found mine pretty bright with the Densen. I found the Densen pre (passive) and the WAD k5881 much smoother but a bit underwhelming ... I since discovered that particular combo sounds realy good when you crank it but a bit lifeless at lower volumes. Currently using the preamp section of a Sanui AU6500 integrated, which we've disconnected the power amp side, recapped and re used the 4 channel switch to bypass the tone controls. Much better at lower volumes then the Densen as passive, less bright than the Densen integrated, but gets a bit hard at high volumes. Still not quite there but close. Basically I need a decent preamp to go with the WAD. One thing I do like about the Sansui though ... tone controls and a loudness button ... if you want them and now we have a bypass, not if you don't ... why they ever went out of fashion ....... ;)

Looking forward to your report. Ugly buggers, so they probably sound quite good.
I realise now that the EVs are far too cute for their own good. The first thing most people say - before hearing them is how much more attractive they are than the Harbs. This is a very bad sign. Possibly only MEGs are uglier, but try finding a pair of those for 350 quid.

Splendid news Joel - I look forward to hearing how they sound as you progressively move them further away from the back wall. Did you get the Krate stands thrown in at that price?
My learning with the EVs was that the farther away from the wall I brought them, the worse they sounded. I will be sticking the NS-1000s on the slightly crappy JBL stands themselves perched on the gravel-filled Japan Railways boxes, so the Yams will be quite a long way off the floor. Some habits die harder than others you know :)

well they are sort of in a bay, so it varies but between 5cm and 25cm. Its worth experimenting with but to be honest I think they like it as close as they can. Its a big woofer, but its also a sealed box.
Apparently the carbon fibre woofer is a rather different beast to the original paper job, but the laws of physics are what they are, so any differences are unlikely to be huge. At 41kgs each, they're going to require some careful handling, though (and I hope these puny JBL stands can take the strain!)

Much better at lower volumes then the Densen as passive, less bright than the Densen integrated, but gets a bit hard at high volumes. Still not quite there but close.
I'm a bit concerned by the fabled harshness. Don't the L-pads help? I assume any hardening is quite subtle and does not manifest itself through hot, ssssizzzzzling essses and deep ffffffffried fffffffrickativezzzzz....

Basically I need a decent preamp to go with the WAD. One thing I do like about the Sansui though ... tone controls and a loudness button ... if you want them and now we have a bypass, not if you don't ... why they ever went out of fashion ....... ;)
They never did go out of fashion, at least not in places where people have good taste in these things ;)

I'm a bit concerned by the fabled harshness. Don't the L-pads help? I assume any hardening is quite subtle and does not manifest itself through hot, ssssizzzzzling essses and deep ffffffffried fffffffrickativezzzzz....

No they can just be a bit forward and in your face (they don't get sibilant) - but it would seem only with some electronics. tbh I don't think the Yams are harsh (there isn't a hint of it when I'm running the K5881 with the Densen in passive mode - they actually become quite lush - it just doesn't work well at low volume) ... what I think they are is utterly unforgiving of what you feed them. I have also noticed that they make it very easy to spot differences in arm, cart, turntable and fairly minor setup changes.

L Pads - the two controls on the front? A bit yes.

Dunno if i already responded to this thread...don't have the energy to check.

I've had all of the NS1000, 1000X, 1000XW, 2000 and soon the big NSX-10000's.

The NS-1000 would work extremely well with a Leben CS-300 or CS-300X. These are very dynamic EL-84 valve amps....one of the best integrated amps i have heard in a long time.

Below the Berning OTL and Shindo amps i think there are few valve amps that can touch them. They also have a nice bass boost function for low level and late night listening :)

Joel,

you know what you really want....

attachment-13.jpg

What was the name of that shop BTW?

What was the name of that shop BTW?
Refinho & Anelho (spelling) which is just over the road from "your" JBLs...
The Westlakes are fantastic, and maybe one day I'll have a pair, or something very similar, but you can't pick up a pair for 350quid, and I really would need a crane to lift them into place (160kgs each if memory serves).

No they can just be a bit forward and in your face (they don't get sibilant) - but it would seem only with some electronics.
Thanks for the info. I'm laid up at home with flu right now, so the 1000s may arrive rather sooner than originally planned. It is no fun being without music...

Yamaha 1000s are one of my all time favourite speakers.

The final development of the amps that I co-designed for Maclaren were done using a pair of big Yams in about 1984, and I have always wanted a pair ever since!

My boss had a pair in the late 80s, and has regretted getting rid of them - he went on an odyssey of many speaker changes eventually settling down with a pair of Tannoys.

Joel

I've been running a pair of Yamaha 1000m's in my main system for over 23 years. They really are very fine speakers indeed. I used to run them from a Yamaha A 1000 integrated behemoth for years and I was more than happy with the sound. Currently running Naim CDX/XPS 82 Super 250 olive. The Yamahas were well able to show up the difference between the Supoercap and the twin HiCaps on the 82.

They are really quite sensitive and will show a little Naim "tizz" through the tweeters on standby. This is not a problem in a well set up system but if you have any hum loops you will have to sort them. You will also need to replace the sprink clip speaker connections on the Yams they really are a bit naff. Not as easy as it sounds but I'll let you investigate. The crossover is a piece of work.

I have the Yams on custom bookshelves about 450mm high positioned either side of a Victorian fireplace and pushed back hard against the wall. We have the CRT TV placed in the recess of the fireplace and this arrangement really does maximise usable floorspace and keeps SWMBO happy and really has no detrimental effect on the sound. I have them on some isolating feet but I don't think they made much difference. As you can see I'm no purist I prefer to enjoy the music/movies or whatever.

No subwoofers required even for movies. Indeed I often find myself looking out the window to find what piece of offending traffic is causing the low down rumble that is often recorded on some TV programmes, sometimes I think inadvertently because the recording engineer did not hear it.

Great speakers and I really don't know what I would replace them with if they gave up the ghost. I use Harbeth HL3-ES2's on my computer recording suite and the upper range is very similar.

Enjoy the Yams

eddie

advertisement

Back