advertisement

Best system to go with Yamaha NS-1000's?

Just seen this thread. I had a pair of the M's for 10 years and loved them. I found a big improvement in removing the Xovers and cutting the boards to tri- wire them. I also re wired and removed the stuffing, but not the thick blanket on the innerwalls.

Next I built new Xovers with polyprop caps and air cored inductors. I placed the new X overs as near to my amp as possible.

All the above was very worthwhile and I would recommend it. If you left the orig xovers and built new, you could always reverse your work.

I had the front controls at -1 tr and -2 mid. Removal of these was not worthwhile.:)

God they're cool.

Sub zero :cool:

Iain,

You're a brave man! They sound so good I couldn't ever contemplate ever modding, or rather I don't have the skills or know how to make them any better, would love to hear them active though, now that would be a treat. I've tried them with Naim and Linn amps but they were all a bit harsh, now have a Class A Marantz PM95 and they are much improved.

I've tried them with Naim and Linn amps but they were all a bit harsh, now have a Class A Marantz PM95 and they are much improved.

Actually, I suspect they only really work their best with a valve amp ... :cool: I think that's what the Japanese hi-enders of the time were (and still are) in to & are therefore what the speakers were voiced with & designed to be used with.

Actually, I suspect they only really work their best with a valve amp ... :cool: I think that's what the Japanese hi-enders of the time were (and are) in to & are therefore what the speakers were voiced with & designed to be used with.

That's the plan eventually, slowly slowly catchy monkey.

That's the plan eventually, slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Yup, the journey's the thing - once you catch the blighter it's got sharp teeth and claws and is probably infested with fleas. The point is to have fun along the way !! :D

Monday...happy Monday...

NSX-10000 speakers arrive then..have i enough space? NO

To make things worse i have split with the Mr's....luckily i am ok.

Hope things get better ETM. Is there no way you can squeeze them in? They look utterly gorgeous.

Yeah there is a bit of space as always but i have to sell the Wilson Benesch Curve's that i took in exchange for the Merlin's.

Thanks for your kind words. Going to be an interesting 2007!

Something goes, something arrives. Buddhism has it's good points...
I hope the personal shit gets sorted ASAP ETM.
Anyway, back to the important stuff ;) I suspect he gap between WB and the NS10000s will not be small. Although in which direction...
As Merlin knows very well, I have a strong tendancy to repeat things ad nauseum. So sorry for saying this yet again: the NS-1000s are very good speakers indeed. There are vanishingly few speakers I can honestly say that about.
However, even small changes in placement and setup can make BIG differences to the sound. Do not just plonk these down; take the time to discover the best setup for them (still very much a work in progress for me).

Way back in the late 70's I nearly bought a new pair of NS1000's. The dealer (bless him) kept telling me they were the best speakers he'd ever heard and set up a demo using an LP12 and Naim amps (I'd never heard of Naim at the time).

The whole thing sounded great, but I ended up with a new pair of Gale 401's instead, because they worked well close to room corners (which was the only option in my bedroom) and the NS1000's did not. The 401's actually sounded very similar to the NS1000's (except the 1000's were somewhat more accurate).

The speakers I use now are James E-III's, which have the strengths of the 401's (great bass, scale, speed) but without the colouration. I think anyone who likes the NS1000's would like the E-III's and vice versa.

Mr Tibbs

Personal crisis sorted...i can fit the yammies in and they arrive monday.

Also the missus and i are back together as of 2 hrs ago.

Its rare that i am this efficient.

Yes the french missus loves a big woofer.

Everyone is looking forward to photos of my woofer and who can blame them....indeed yes it is 33cm the same as the 2000 model...only the other drivers are hand made for this model...funk knows what will happen if i zap one of them with eleventy billion watts of G&R.

I am going to enjoy playing all sorts of crap, from Dave Matthews to Aphex Twin to Corelli.

Will report when i have them...maybe Joel we can put them in a room together and let them mate. These are promising studs.

Fingers crossed the missus will be satisfied with your new improved woofers.
I am going to enjoy playing all sorts of crap, from Dave Matthews to Aphex Twin to Corelli.
Possibly the best thing about the Yamahas, and the sure sign of a Really Good Speaker, is their complete equitability in the face of whatever music is played through them at whatever volume you happen to want, assuming -a big assumption reading some of the posts in this thread - you have amplification that is up to the job.
I pulled the NS-1000s out from the wall a bit today ;)

advertisement

Back