advertisement

Best sub 5K roadster?

Yeah, whatever. Cars are like HiFi. There is no accounting for taste. ;)

Quite, your posting implied (probably not intentionally) that there was a quality issue with BMW and compared to Mercedes, there definitely isn't. That's not to say they don't have issues, anything and everything does, just some more so than others.

The Porsche Boxter takes some beating but those are quite expensive on routine maintenance and whilst generally quite reliable they can be catastrophically expensive when something goes wrong.

My sub 5k choice would be a 3.0 Z4, solid chassis, good handling, 230 bhp (around 100 more than most suggestions here) which translates to fun. Things to look for, lower arm bushes, rear springs and blocked drainage channels below the roof motor (if these block then water will kill the motor), none of these are particularly expensive fixes and as of yet, none have affected me.

If I could find a cheap but clean boxter needing a clutch for about £2.5k, I'd be tempted to buy it and do the clutch and IMS bearing, total cost should come in under £5k and be good to go for a few years.

Must admit, were I in the market for impractical cars, it is the Toyota I'd go for. I also agree they're heavily underpriced at the moment.

Must admit, were I in the market for impractical cars, it is the Toyota I'd go for. I also agree they're heavily underpriced at the moment.

It's not as impractical as the reviews say. The cubbys behind the seat are pretty useful (especially if you have the fitted luggage) and if you remove the spare the boot is useful. You need to use soft bags. I have a rack as well which may freak out some aficionados ...

Stephen

It's not as impractical as the reviews say. The cubbys behind the seat are pretty useful (especially if you have the fitted luggage) and if you remove the spare the boot is useful. You need to use soft bags. I have a rack as well which may freak out some aficionados ...

Stephen

None of them are if you only need two seats, they all have a boot (boxster has two), some of them have a fairly decent boot space (you can get a weeks luggage for two in my BMW.)

Stephen
My comment was based more on having driven one a couple of times, and about to do a deal when the economy compassed and I was out of a job. Whatever, the Toyota is anything but dull, which, sadly, competing BMWs and Mercedes are.

My comment was based more on having driven one a couple of times, and about to do a deal when the economy compassed and I was out of a job. Whatever, the Toyota is anything but dull, which, sadly, competing BMWs and Mercedes are.

All a matter of taste I suppose, mine differs. If I do get the opportunity to do my drive through France next year and pop by, I'll chuck you the keys. :D

P.S. I do quite like the Toyota and did check a couple out along with MX5s before I got the chance to buy my Z4 back. Both were great, a lot of fun to drive. I did find the interiors much more utilitarian but then they were much cheaper new. And if given the choice of an SLK and the Toyota, I'd pick the Toyota, principally because I'd be less concerned about it handing me a large bill.

My wife has a 2001 Mercedes SLK320. I bought it in 2005 and put about 30000 miles on it and she has had it since 2007. Now on 80000 and there's nothing she'd rather have. Not tempted by a new Merc, a Boxster or a 911. It's not a sports car, more a fast tourer. And great in London traffic . These can be had for well under £5K. Just check the wheel arches aren't rusted.

I'm off to Spain in my dull MX5 tomorrow. Wish me luck.

MX5s are great, wish I was driving to Spain, always wanted to do a continental drive. . . Can't complain too much because I'm off to Crete on Tuesday.

Noticed your "bought" not "brought" Linnfo......thanks:D

You're welcome:D

My wife has a 2001 Mercedes SLK320. I bought it in 2005 and put about 30000 miles on it and she has had it since 2007. Now on 80000 and there's nothing she'd rather have. Not tempted by a new Merc, a Boxster or a 911. It's not a sports car, more a fast tourer. And great in London traffic . These can be had for well under £5K. Just check the wheel arches aren't rusted.

The rust is the number one turn off for me. Me and my brother had gear box issues, I had a parasitic battery drain issue which took months and lots of money to pin down and I had the ignition system fail completely, you couldn't turn the key, that was an expensive fix.

Thanks gents. Off to look at a 2005 MR2 today assuming it is not sold. Silver with red leather. Any tips as to what to look out for?

Just make sure it has a full FSH from Toyota and there's no rust on the bodywork—mine's been sitting outside (and two years in Sweden at -30 degrees!) for 15 years and has none. The engine should rev freely when warm–you have to work it for the performance, but that's half the fun.

If it's been properly serviced, things that can cause an issue such as the subframe and brake pipes should be OK.

Check the roof folds correctly and the 'ears' tuck in. Check for tears. Check the driver's seat near the shoulder as the belt can fray.

Is it an auto box?

Saw a 2005 Z4 for £5K in a used lot on my run this morning. I wonder if I could have another roadster ...

Stephen

Thanks Stephen, if I buy it I will post a photo. It will be the fastest 0 to purchase pfm car thread!

advertisement

Back