advertisement

Best sub 5K roadster?

Buy an MX5 and fit a supercharger failing that get a boxster. I also love MR2s had a few Mk1s over the years and was serious about the newer model a few years back but could not find a good one. Did they not have an issue with the engine eating the catalytic converter? At least one i drove ( and it was the best looking one sods law ) had no power due to this issue and another had the engine light come on during a test drive.
As i recall practically zero luggage space was a major issue as i need to carry a few things for work. Ultimately i bought an MX5 its a different driving experience less go cart but still beautifully balanced and nimble. It was far more comfortable than the MR2.
The MR2 did feel lower and quicker though i think in reality they are pretty closely matched performance wise.
Having just bought a boxster I can say that it is in a different league as i guess you'd expect given the original price difference. For 5k you should be able to get an older 3.2S as long as its been cared for it will feel fresh as the day it rolled off the production line. IMS bearing issue should be ok if its lived thus far but as with anything you never really know.

Yep, and should it ever need replacement, it uses the same as the equivalent engined e46 so finding one shouldn't prove difficult.

this is true of early Z4 (M54Bxx), though later ones had the N5x magnesium blocked wonder engine... so you look to the e90 for engine parts. Still, BMW sixes don't usually give the kind of trouble that requires replacement...

Quite, your posting implied (probably not intentionally) that there was a quality issue with BMW and compared to Mercedes, there definitely isn't. That's not to say they don't have issues, anything and everything does, just some more so than others.

The Porsche Boxter takes some beating but those are quite expensive on routine maintenance and whilst generally quite reliable they can be catastrophically expensive when something goes wrong.

My sub 5k choice would be a 3.0 Z4, solid chassis, good handling, 230 bhp (around 100 more than most suggestions here) which translates to fun. Things to look for, lower arm bushes, rear springs and blocked drainage channels below the roof motor (if these block then water will kill the motor), none of these are particularly expensive fixes and as of yet, none have affected me.

Agreed! If Auto, the key thing is to get the auto serviced; new pan/filter and fluid. This sealed-for-life thing is total BS.

Congrats! I had one for twelve years (bought new)!

Even if it's a Toyota it has it's problems.

- There is a rumour that the engine suddenly can start to consume oil, and as it's a Toyota, you tend to not check it and will end up wth a blown engine.
WTF? It's an internal combustion engine with oil lubrication, you check the oil when you put fuel in. Ignore it with some notion of "it doesn't need checking" at your peril. In the same way that if you ignore putting fuel in, it will stop working!

Well I asked a mate of mine to take me for a run cos although I've had faster cars on paper I knew this needed driving differently. He is from a family of motorsports enthusiasts and has done a bit of competitive driving. Jesus wept it was a terrifying experience; I have a lot to learn. Absolutely chuffed, I simply couldn't believe how fast this thing is on twisty roads if you know how to drive it.

Well I asked a mate of mine to take me for a run cos although I've had faster cars on paper I knew this needed driving differently. He is from a family of motorsports enthusiasts and has done a bit of competitive driving. Jesus wept it was a terrifying experience; I have a lot to learn. Absolutely chuffed, I simply couldn't believe how fast this thing is on twisty roads.

It can be a white knuckle experience being a passenger to a real serious driver... mind you, I've driven some of my cars hard (quite competently) and had my mate holding on tight, he must trust me because he always gets in the car with me, I don't drive everywhere like a nutter BTW.:D

As the OP is obviously not into driver's cars -stating that the MX5 is uninteresting and looking for an automatic, a Saab 900 "bath tub" convertible would fit the bill perfectly (with token rear seas to put the shopping bags). :D

Very reliable car, and a status symbol for architects; also know to be good to fancy hairdos

Eiffel (owner of a reliable, but never dull MX5 ;))

As the OP is obviously not into driver's cars -stating that the MX5 is uninteresting and looking for an automatic, a Saab 900 "bath tub" convertible would fit the bill perfectly (with token rear seas to put the shopping bags). :D

Very reliable car, and a status symbol for architects; also know to be good to fancy hairdos

Eiffel (owner of a reliable, but never dull MX5 ;))

I think he was specifically after a drivers car, albeit auto, the MR2 definitely fits the bill, they're good cars. I drove one after owning a BMW M3 (e92), TVR griff, Porsche 911 (996 turbo) and a BMW Z4m... I didn't find it boring, I'd personally pick a Z4 instead (of an MR2 or MX5) but that has to do with the fact that I love the aesthetics and interior of a Z4, both the MR2 and MX5 are superb drivers cars and unlike a larger engined Z4 or Boxster, you can properly stretch them out regularly on our roads... which is fun.

I actually quite like the SAAB convertibles though, I took one on an extended test drive a couple of years back, my mate had it in stock and I was looking for a disabled friendly vert, lovely comfortable car and good for transporting rear seat passengers... but the chance to buy back my Z4m came up and the heart ruled the head.

Absolutely chuffed, I simply couldn't believe how fast this thing is on twisty roads if you know how to drive it.

You don't really ever need to slow down ...

I recall following a friend in a 1300cc Fiat X1/9 (75.0bhp, 0.60 in 12.7secs) in my 1500cc one (85bhp, 0.60 in 10.4secs). Could not keep up with him at all. His driving was worth an extra 10 horsepower.

Stephen

I'll just plant this here as I do miss the Exxy—lovely cars, almost all gone now.

Dscf0037.jpg

They can be great fun. I'd never driven a roadster and drove a friends mx5. It was rusty, slipping clutch but it was fun!

The X1/9 (911 backwards?) was a fun car. I'm told, as I didn't fit inside!

Didn't fit inside an MX5 either, but I bolted a Cobra racing seat to the floor on mine. Had it's merits.

Good choice buying back the z4m!

Agreed, I'd sold it to my brother because I was very poorly and couldn't drive it... but now I can. It's a bit of a pain getting in and out but it's worth it. Definitely not the most expensive car I've owned but it is my favourite, I love the way it looks and love the way it drives.

The X1/9 (911 backwards?) was a fun car. I'm told, as I didn't fit inside!

Didn't fit inside an MX5 either, but I bolted a Cobra racing seat to the floor on mine. Had it's merits.

It was brilliant actually—the Targa design was so good Porsche and Ferrari nicked it. Had a decent boot(s) too.

Friends had some modded cars with a 2L Lancia engine and even Turbo'd ones. The X1/9 didn't turn a hair. Like the Toyota MR-2 the car could have been so much more.

Stephen

Agreed, I'd sold it to my brother because I was very poorly and couldn't drive it... but now I can. It's a bit of a pain getting in and out but it's worth it. Definitely not the most expensive car I've owned but it is my favourite, I love the way it looks and love the way it drives.

I had a E36 BMW 328i combi and always fancied a Z3—but I've not heard good things about the driving experience. Love the looks—the Z4 looks a bit like Kryten's face.

Stephen

I had a E36 BMW 328i combi and always fancied a Z3—but I've not heard good things about the driving experience. Love the looks—the Z4 looks a bit like Kryten's face.

Stephen

I love both of them, the Z4 has the edge though, especially inside, it jut looks and feels more solidly built. I personally think the Z4 is a more solid handling car, they can be a harsh ride but the right tyres fixes that. Each to their own though, life would be dull if we all liked the same thing.

The other thing to note is that they can be skittish (both Z3 and Z4) if the control arm bushes are worn, not a complex or expensive fix and should only need doing after 70k plus miles so not something I'd worry about. If you drive one that does feel skittish, try and drive another one.

It was brilliant actually—the Targa design was so good Porsche and Ferrari nicked it. Had a decent boot(s) too.

Friends had some modded cars with a 2L Lancia engine and even Turbo'd ones. The X1/9 didn't turn a hair. Like the Toyota MR-2 the car could have been so much more.

Stephen

I thought Porsche had a 911 targa from about 1967? X1/9 was a 70s car?

Edit: ok, after a quick read, a very limited production Fiat 1200 had a removable roof panel in 1957..

Stephen

I think that the X1/9 was the Italian take on the The 914. ;)

They handled extremely well and gripped the road like sh*t to a blanket. The Fiat Uno turbo and Lancia delta engines fitted perfectly but then Fiat had always intended it to have a bigger, beefier engine.

I am just so chuffed with this car. I just idly thought praps I might get another roadster? I had a CB MGB in my youth. So consulted pfm and the weight was with the MR-2 so a couple of days later I bought one. My only regret is I should have spent a bit more and got a TF 300 with about 30k on the clock. Still time yet. Thanks again.

I am just so chuffed with this car. I just idly thought praps I might get another roadster? I had a CB MGB in my youth. So consulted pfm and the weight was with the MR-2 so a couple of days later I bought one. My only regret is I should have spent a bit more and got a TF 300 with about 30k on the clock. Still time yet. Thanks again.

Have fun and wave if you pass me.

Stephen

advertisement

Back