advertisement

Best sub 5K roadster?

The best autobox you'll find in a roadster <5k will be a Z4.

You might find a leggy 2.5 Boxster but the BMW would give you less stress.

Yep, and should it ever need replacement, it uses the same as the equivalent engined e46 so finding one shouldn't prove difficult.

82k miles, silky smooth 2.2 6-pot. Listed at £5495 but you could probably haggle a bit.

14845053.jpg

http://www.gcsthrapston.co.uk/used-bmw-z4-thrapston-northamptonshire-1260981

MR2 no brainer if service history, I bought mine in January with 44,000 miles on the clock with Fsh, just check the sub frame, otherwise totally reliable.

MR2 no brainer if service history, I bought mine in January with 44,000 miles on the clock with Fsh, just check the sub frame, otherwise totally reliable.

Great, just done half the negotiation, working on a 25% discount on sale price. He seems keen to sell. I'm calling 'sometime' in the morning to see if he might like to proceed.

How do I check the sub-frame?

Having followed the Boxster vs MX5 thread with interest I wondered about this:

• Must be genuinely sub 5k
  • Must be available under 100000 miles
  • Must be able to stand not being garaged
  • Must be interesting and a bit quirky, so MX 5 wonderful and practical as it is, is out.
  • Must not depreciate much if at all
  • Ideally with an automatic option
So I'm not asking for much :)

A few years ago I bought a 1983 Reliant Scimitar GTC.

It cost me £4,700
96,000 miles
It wasn't garaged. Not happy, but stood it.
Certainly interesting and quirky (four seater fibreglass convertible, only 400 made)
Sold it for £4,900 four years later
Automatic.

I'll now put on my hard hat and await the shower of bricks.

A few years ago I bought a 1983 Reliant Scimitar GTC.

It cost me £4,700
96,000 miles
It wasn't garaged. Not happy, but stood it.
Certainly interesting and quirky (four seater fibreglass convertible, only 400 made)
Sold it for £4,900 four years later
Automatic.

I'll now put on my hard hat and await the shower of bricks.

No I get that. Leaksville UK comes to mind along with garage visits. MR2 is still ahead.

Thanks Tony. I get where you are with the Crossfire but it is just too naff.
In fact this might be the fastest thread to an answer cos I've just made a mad low ball offer on the aforementioned MR2 wot didn't get a blank. We speak again in the morning and he will accept it.

Great of time of year for it. What plate?

Make sure the tyres are good of the right kind and inflated correctly. Then join the MR-2 forum.

Also make sure the spare is in there or equivelant weight.

Then you'll want to get lower springs if it doesn't have it.

That's all it needs.

Stephen

Thanks Tony. I get where you are with the Crossfire but it is just too naff.
In fact this might be the fastest thread to an answer cos I've just made a mad low ball offer on the aforementioned MR2 wot didn't get a blank. We speak again in the morning and he will accept it.

They do seem to divide opinion dont they? I've never been in one but I quite like the look - sort of diminutive American muscle car - and with the distinct advantage of not being a BMW, and you don't see too many parked on the pedestrian crossing outside the school gates.

They do seem to divide opinion dont they? I've never been in one but I quite like the look - sort of diminutive American muscle car - and with the distinct advantage of not being a BMW, and you don't see too many parked on the pedestrian crossing outside the school gates.

Why would not being a BMW be a distinct advantage?

It's ugly as sin and is based on the worst era of Mercs, just about any BMW will beat it in every respect.

P.S. I don't know about any specific issues with the crossfire but I've had a CLK from the same era, it was the least reliable car I've ever owned and loved to rust, my brother had an SLK and that was similarly poor (mostly electrical problems) and my mate had a C class coupe that rotted like mad and also had electrical issues.

I've had five BMWs and never had any problems.

The most obvious options are already in. Another oddball is the MGTF. The later ones (TFs), were apparently a good deal better and not anything like as bad as you might think.
You could also consider the CRX del sol, not actually a soft top, but the roof can be removed.

The most obvious options are already in. Another oddball is the MGTF. The later ones (TFs), were apparently a good deal better and not anything like as bad as you might think.

I liked the drive but you sit stupidly high. Compared to other roadsters, it was like being in an SUV.

Stephen

They are good fun to drive to be fair. The head gasket thing always put me off... but then the earlier Lotus Elise used the same engine and they're popular as ever.

As opposed to looking like a dog having one. ;)

Yep.

However, the OP asked for quirky. And just as many of the Mercs from that era are over most of their problems, maybe an enthusiast owned Shitting Dog in the right colour and on decent alloys would be worth a shot.

MR2 is too small for me, even as a weekend cobweb clearer.

As opposed to looking like a dog having one. ;)

Indeed, and I've not met many people who object to BMW aesthetics.

So Chrysler, they made the crossfire look like a shitting dog, then Neon isn't any prettier and the PT Loser, need I say more?

Mercs themselves are generally quite pretty (apart from the rust spots on those from the early to mid 2000s).

advertisement

Back