advertisement

Best sub 5K roadster?

MVV

pfm Member
Having followed the Boxster vs MX5 thread with interest I wondered about this:

• Must be genuinely sub 5k
  • Must be available under 100000 miles
  • Must be able to stand not being garaged
  • Must be interesting and a bit quirky, so MX 5 wonderful and practical as it is, is out.
  • Must not depreciate much if at all
  • Ideally with an automatic option
So I'm not asking for much :)

Apart from the auto option, a late mint FSH Toyota MR-2 would be well under that price.

They can only go up in price. Rarer than a Porsche and better than an 111S Elise (according to EVO!)

There is an auto box option, but it's not well reviewed.

06-mr2.jpg

Stephen

Apart from the auto option a mint FSH Toyota MR-2 would be well under that price.

They can only go up in price. Rarer than a Porsche and better than an Elise (according to Car magazine!)

Stephen

Thanks Stephen, always had a soft spot for the MR-2. What year/model should I realistically aim for?

Thanks Stephen, always had a soft spot for the MR-2. What year/model should I realistically aim for?

Post 2003 Facelift are all fine and as long as they have a FSH should be good to go. Mine has been ultra-reliable (touch wood).

Even a last special edition (above) should be under £5K—seriously undervalued for a mid engined roadster.

You'd have to spend a lot more for a bit more driving fun.

Stephen

can you sort out the oversized pictures, it's messing up the view on an ipad.

Quirky, not what I'd buy, but

Chrysler Crossfire?

Merc V6, Merc auto box (?) and I can't see anyone losing their shirt on one.

I still think it's ugly and has the stance of a terrified dog on a frozen lake, but many like 'em.

Thanks Tony. I get where you are with the Crossfire but it is just too naff.
In fact this might be the fastest thread to an answer cos I've just made a mad low ball offer on the aforementioned MR2 wot didn't get a blank. We speak again in the morning and he will accept it.

Quirky, not what I'd buy, but

Chrysler Crossfire?

Merc V6, Merc auto box (?) and I can't see anyone losing their shirt on one.

I still think it's ugly and has the stance of a terrified dog on a frozen lake, but many like 'em.

It's an SLK but with a low rent interior.

These are fun if you like the auto box.

The engine is like a tiny turbo racer. You can get them with paddles.

Good bits:
Apparently the engine sounds a bit boxer-like when you're ragging it.
Good ones will only go up in value.
Light

Bad Bits:
No room at all for stuff.
Some leak like sieves.
Thew autobox is a bit slow.

The best autobox you'll find in a roadster <5k will be a Z4.

You might find a leggy 2.5 Boxster but the BMW would give you less stress.

Good bits:
Apparently the engine sounds a bit boxer-like when you're ragging it.
Good ones will only go up in value.
Light

Bad Bits:
No room at all for stuff.
Some leak like sieves.
Thew autobox is a bit slow.

Most leak like sieves in my experience. A family member is a massive fan and I have some experience with Roadsters including a major trip across France to the SMART factory in one. They are great fun BUT they are noisy and sadly underdeveloped. This underdevelopment manifests itself in all sorts of niggly ways and you would need to be able to tolerate that to live with one. They are intolerant of poor road surfaces and that is a big issue in the UK. I wouldn't be put off by the auto box, it adds to the character in a strange way and I enjoyed that part of driving it. The engines seem over-stressed and have a correspondingly short life by modern standards. I should add that they handle beautifully and in that sense are a real 'drivers car'.

advertisement

Back