advertisement

Best sounding computer playback program

I'm using a mini pc at the moment just to play music from a HD, just had a looked at Snakeoil, all a bit complicated for me but I will ask, if this is installed into a pc, does that mean you lose Windows, I'm using an app called MusicBee at the moment and don't have the pc connected to the internet.
I haven't yet had a play with this but at first blush you won't lose Windows if you have enough space on your disk. From the web site:-
" Before We Begin
Here are some things you need know:

You need to have a working Ubuntu (or Raspbian) installed on your computer first."

Now Ubuntu will install alongside of Windows. To do this you get Windows to shrink itself to make room for Ubuntu (usually dead simple but - we'll come to that if it arises). Then boot a flavour of Ubuntu from a 'live' USB drive which you fancy - there are several but for a beginner I would suggest Linux Mint. Have a play to familiarise yourself and if happy go for the installation. Windows will be recognised and you'll select 'install alongside Windows'. You will then have a dual boot machine Windows and Ubuntu.

As always make a clone of the shrunken Windows before you start onto an external USB HDD/SSD drive. Then if you want you can always go back.

Then all you have to do is install snakeoil under Linux Mint.

Cheers,

DV

Well it's very nice of you to try and help Darth, but to start with, shrinking Windows :eek: and Ubuntu, you've already lost me. When I looked at the site I could not make head nor tail of it, might as well been in Chinese so I think I'll have to give it a miss. To do anything like that I would need someone who knows what they're doing, and at present I am out of the country, so no one I know who is that up on computers.

The beauty of Snakeoil is that it is really easy to go between LMS and MPD as well as other options. I’m using MPD 21.25 tonight and it sounds fantastic.

Well it's very nice of you to try and help Darth, but to start with, shrinking Windows :eek: and Ubuntu, you've already lost me. When I looked at the site I could not make head nor tail of it, might as well been in Chinese so I think I'll have to give it a miss. To do anything like that I would need someone who knows what they're doing, and at present I am out of the country, so no one I know who is that up on computers.
Yes you are correct. If the simple step 'shrinking Windows' and the term 'Ubuntu' is lost on you then the installation is far too complex for you. I have had a deeper look and may even have a try at some point but what holds me back is that I don't see any support for FireWire and since that is required by my DAC I wouldn't be able to test out such an installation anyway.

However to answer your original question I still (until I have had a play) believe that snakeoil can be installed alongside of Windows if need be. However it will be a complex process..........

Cheers,

DV

I

Then all you have to do is install snakeoil under Linux Mint.

Cheers,

DV

save your time, it won't run

Code:
Linux shuttle 4.19.0-16-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.181-1 (2021-03-19) x86_64

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Mon Jun  7 18:00:41 2021 from 192.168.1.105
ronnie@shuttle:~$ cd Downloads
ronnie@shuttle:~/Downloads$ ls
snakeoil-installer-1.2.0-x86_64.sh
ronnie@shuttle:~/Downloads$ sudo bash ./snakeoil-installer-1.2.0-x86_64.sh
[sudo] password for ronnie:
# Begin installation of Snakeoil 1.2.0 (Gear Isolation)
  + Checking pre-requistes... OK
    * Checking program (ip)... FOUND
    * Checking program (grep)... FOUND
    * Checking program (head)... FOUND
    * Checking program (tail)... FOUND
    * Checking program (sed)... FOUND
    * Checking program (pgrep)... FOUND
    * Checking program (sha1sum)... FOUND
    * Checking program (tar)... FOUND
    * Checking program (cat)... FOUND
    * Checking program (mktemp)... FOUND
    * Checking program (cut)... FOUND
    * Checking program (xargs)... FOUND
  + System identified as: Linuxmint
  + This distro is not supported yet. Install aborted.
# Install aborted with errors!
ronnie@shuttle:~/Downloads$

ronnie

Code:

ronnie
If you log a query on Snakeoil they are really helpful. There are quite a few of us in Australia on it. I had some help as well and found it runs very reliably once installed.

If you log a query on Snakeoil they are really helpful. There are quite a few of us in Australia on it. I had some help as well and found it runs very reliably once installed.
Yea, I get that....but

It supposed to be Free to try, but requires registration.

It's supposed to download via wget ...but doesn't

The required OS is not detailed correctly.

I have tried four different OS and I'm still not there.

It's not reassuring.

It is most likely that people have found it easier to update from a previous install than make a fresh one (I'm guessing here)

I'm not feeling inclined to help the dev out by being beta fodder. I don't object to making a donation if I think it worthwhile but he seems to want want one for extras, and I can't even try it out.

I think I'll pass.

Happy for you though :)

ronnie

In my opinion, for Mac OS, it's HQPlayer upconverting to DSD into a NOS DAC.

It also improves measured performance.

Adobe Audition. But it is VERY user unfriendly, to the extent that you can't just use it as a player at all... you have to process and store an album you wish to listen to and this can take 15 mins or so and then you can't listen to anything but this album until you clear and process something else. Really "hairshirt" to say the least!
Foobar etc doesn't seem to sound quite as good as playing the actual CD but this software pretty much cures this... but it's such a PITA to use it's easier to just find the CD and put it in the CD player!!

Code:

ronnie
Many thanks for this feedback you have saved me the time. I also note your other helpful comments so thanks for that as well.

One less itch to scratch.

Cheers,

DV

Yea, I get that....but

It supposed to be Free to try, but requires registration.

It's supposed to download via wget ...but doesn't

The required OS is not detailed correctly.

I have tried four different OS and I'm still not there.

It's not reassuring.

It is most likely that people have found it easier to update from a previous install than make a fresh one (I'm guessing here)

I'm not feeling inclined to help the dev out by being beta fodder. I don't object to making a donation if I think it worthwhile but he seems to want want one for extras, and I can't even try it out.

I think I'll pass.

Happy for you though :)

ronnie
I just had a look and it definitely looks more complicated than when I set it up over a year ago. I also started with a new ssd drive so I didn’t have to create a partition. I was very happy as I would have had to bin my old Antipodes if I couldn’t get it working. The donation was a pleasure (once I had it running) given the sound quality.

There are other programs like jriver that are very good and not expensive.

I've tried a whole bunch of music players on W10 and my favourite is MusicBee, which is free. It's easily configured for bitperfect playback and amazing for tagging. The only problem is, it does SO much It can take a while to find your way around it.

Out of interest, I just tried loading foobar and it fed everything to my DAC at 48 khz.

I'm using MusicBee as well, found it to sound more natural than Foobar2000. I haven't messed with the configuration of the screen, so just using it as it came, but one question, if you turn on and don't have your dac and amplifier on, does it change the output setting in MusicBee, it does on mine. Having had numerous problems over the last 6 months with my system, that's why I've ended up with MusicBee, and then switched on the pc, then the dac and amp, only to find there was no sound I thought not again, but managed to figure the answer out fairly quickly.

JRive offer a free version of their software they call Media Jukebox. It is version 14 of their software. Still has a lot of the important functionality. Might be a bit easier to get going with than the current version since there will be fewer bells and whistles.

https://jriver.com/mj/

Audivarna for me, but only cos it autoswitches sample rate, if I didn't need that I'd stick to itunes or whatever its called today. Never heard any on mac make a difference to sound.

advertisement

Back