advertisement

Best sounding computer playback program

It might. And that would be worthy of exploration if the opinion was to be tested.

However, if, when questioned I confirmed I was talking about a standard billiard ball, where would that lead us with regards my opinion?

That you are doing a handstand in your lounge (or more likely knowing you, magic mushrooms)

You can’t get better advice than the above. Even though a good trimmed down OS like Openelec/Linux definitely sounds significantly better, you’ll get similar large gains in SQ by using a dedicated music server, which don’t have to be expensive compared to CD replay....especially if you get one made. £750 will get a real high end sounding machine, £2k will get you something that won’t be beaten at any price in digital replay...

Computers and usb transfer inherently contain every aspect of noise you don’t want in your music chain and are the worst possible environment for producing good sound. A good music server addresses noise at every point in the chain of hardware and software...
Along with noise reduction, good reclocking is key...

If you don’t connect your server to your hi-fi it can’t affect the sound, so I’m struggling to see why you need to spend £2k on it.

There is a difference between Foobar and other players though..
Foobar can play in every pc, however old and slow it is, Jriver, or Roon are a bit of power hogs, and even though their demands are only a joke for modern pcs, a lot of people use old dedicated computers for audio.
I remember years ago, to play some heavy gaming with foo playing in the background, it was not possible with jriver..

Just the fact that is the smoothest to run, if there was a sofware with the best audio quality it should be foobar2000.
With that said, they sound pretty much the same to me, still not as good as the simple plastic disc inside a cd player..
JRiver may be modifying the way that Windows allocates threads. Real time performance requires that a program cannot just take control of a core for a long time and block other programs. The snag is that reducing the system tick to a shorter time has a big hit on overall performance

0s and 1s. Noise filtered input to your dac, sufficient buffer in the dac anything before the dac is moot.

I'm curious what dacs people are using where they can hear a difference from a clock swap in a pc device further down the line.

JRiver may be modifying the way that Windows allocates threads. Real time performance requires that a program cannot just take control of a core for a long time and block other programs. The snag is that reducing the system tick to a shorter time has a big hit on overall performance
There is no requirement for real time performance when playing back computer music. The amount of work necessary to get a few bytes to a port every now and again is trivial. When I had J River on a low powered laptop and used device monitor to see how much cpu time was being used it was a couple or so percent, and more of that was device monitor than JRMC. My DAC has more latency, for a very good reason, than Windows 10 running J River.

I found this searching for Snakeoil which is a free Linux based program developed by some Perth guys down under. I would highly recommend it.

I have an old Antipodes DS reference which is a 386 based motherboard (ancient) with a SOtM sound card. The sound I’m getting is better than the original DS pre change to Snakeoil.

I have used it with LMS, MPD and Roon.

https://www.snakeoil-os.net/

I found this searching for Snakeoil which is a free Linux based program developed by some Perth guys down under. I would highly recommend it.

I have an old Antipodes DS reference which is a 386 based motherboard (ancient) with a SOtM sound card. The sound I’m getting is better than the original DS pre change to Snakeoil.

I'm using a mini pc at the moment just to play music from a HD, just had a looked at Snakeoil, all a bit complicated for me but I will ask, if this is installed into a pc, does that mean you lose Windows, I'm using an app called MusicBee at the moment and don't have the pc connected to the internet.

I heard a system recently that floored me - PC (via usb) to mutec reclocker to topping dx 7 pro dac, into a belles amp. The topping d90 is apparently a better dac again.

I have always thought it came from Korea (agent kith), but no matter.

I tried to install it several months ago but balked at the "free" download that required registration..

Seing it mentioned again, I registered.

There are a lot of instructions for download and installation, it makes MoOde and Volumio a piece of cake.

Anyway, I went for the raspberry pi version (not sure which version of raspberrpi PI OS I was supposed to use, I tried both the Lite Desktop and the proper Lite, without desktop.).

No dice, it does not complete the install process. Stops after some downloading and installing and just sits there, doing nothing :rolleyes:.

Not a good impression:(

ronnie

I have always thought it came from Korea (agent kith), but no matter.

I tried to install it several months ago but balked at the "free" download that required registration..

Seing it mentioned again, I registered.

There are a lot of instructions for download and installation, it makes MoOde and Volumio a piece of cake.

Anyway, I went for the raspberry pi version (not sure which version of raspberrpi PI OS I was supposed to use, I tried both the Lite Desktop and the proper Lite, without desktop.).

No dice, it does not complete the install process. Stops after some downloading and installing and just sits there, doing nothing :rolleyes:.

Not a good impression:(

ronnie
Hi Ronnie,

I also had some problems getting it up and running as I had zero Linux knowledge. If you post a query on the website Agent Kith is available and responds fairly quickly. I found this to be very helpful (and necessary) in my case. Also given that it is free (voluntary donation unlocks a really user friendly screen) it is exceptional service.

There are many happy users in Australia and IMO and my system it made a huge improvement.

I'm using a mini pc at the moment just to play music from a HD, just had a looked at Snakeoil, all a bit complicated for me but I will ask, if this is installed into a pc, does that mean you lose Windows, I'm using an app called MusicBee at the moment and don't have the pc connected to the internet.
I think you do lose windows as it is Linux based. In my case I control the LMS program using iPeng on my iPad over my home network. The Antipodes is headless and if I need to access the system I use another computer on the network.

advertisement

Back