advertisement

Best sounding computer playback program

JOHN VAN BAVEL

pfm Member
For replaying FLAC files from my computer there are lots of program options ==I would like to use the best sounding one , but dont need lots of bells and whistles. Suggestions please.

Computer is bog standard Toshiba laptop , 2tb memory Windows 10 . Flac files obtained by burning my cd s with DB Poweramp and my lp s by playing them through computer into WAV files and then converting those WAV files into FLAC . All stored in separate "music" file on hard drive . I dont have a DAC yet but contenders are chord Mojo or one of the Schitt multibit models . Amp is Lavardin IS Special .

I haven't tried many programs since I switched from MediaMonkey to JRiver and its play from memory feature. That was a major jump in playback quality for me. I use that program and kernel streaming.

The only drawback with JRiver is its video features that I never ever use.

If your willing to spend money then roon. If not install Asset UPNP (from dbpoweramp) and use an UPNP app on a tablet. Which IMHO is a much better way of interfacing with your music collection.

Assuming you're running Windows on your PC. You need to use software which allows you to bypass the standard Windows sounds app. The problem being that by default Windows insists on up & down sampling the data, which results in an awful sounding data stream. Suitable software, which includes Foobar (free) and JRiver (£50 I think), and an ASIO driver allows you to output a bit perfect data stream to your DAC.
I use Foobar and a Hugo2 DAC, and it all sounds wonderful.

Equivalent for Linux is to set playout to go direct to the ALSA device you wish to use. e.g. if using something like VLC or Audacious, set this as the playout device it uses.

I've been using JRiver and Foobar… both are very good, with a good set of features and extensions, for instance to edit and manage tags. Both can also be configured in many different ways to get the look and feel you like. Here is what my Foobar screen looks like when selecting classical music while playing a song by the Wailin' Jennys:

48371840842_f089269820_c.jpg

(Information overload for some, paradise for others!)

For best quality, one needs to set the output to ASIO or WASAPI, which give the same results.

Last edited:
ASIO is a blind alley unless your device comes with specific drivers, so in a hi-fi context unlikely. ASIO4ALL is a extra layer between standard Windows device interfaces and an ASIO interface, it should be avoided unless you know you need it. Keep things as simple as possible.

All replay software will sound the same unless it is somehow engineered to mess with the audio. The key is to get 'bit perfect' which is easy with (for example) Foobar2000. Don't let Windows use your output device as 'default' and choose a WASAPI device, a keyword to notice in options is 'exclusive'. As I said, Foobar2000 makes it easy and is free, so the obvious place to start. It's good at playlists and indexing too.

The JRiver database is particular appealing if you have a lot of your own content to juggle. Imagine iTunes but 100 times more responsive

Last edited:
Properly configured (bit perfect, exclusive mode), with no variables such as resampling or volume normalisation, they all sound the same.

I do need to bite my tongue when people are comparing the sonic qualities of software outputting identical data, but there you go...

I've been using JRiver and Foobar… both are very good, with a good set of features and extensions, for instance to edit and manage tags. Both can also be configured in many different ways to get the look and feel you like. Here is what my Foobar screen looks like when selecting classical music when playing a song by the Wailin' Jennys:

48371840842_f089269820_c.jpg

(Information overload for some, paradise for others!)

For best quality, one needs to set the output to ASIO or WASAPI, which give the same results.

Me: Sees screen shot...... reaches for another CD.... watches the drawer gently slide shut...... Ahhh!!

advertisement

Back