advertisement

Best 3D sounding CD player / source

For 3D soundstage - Consonance CD 2.2 Linear (TDA1543 + valve). Jim from Audiolincs demonstrated this CD player in my home when he was in business some years back, superb acoustics (matched with a Consonance Cyber 10 Signature 2A3 valve amp and Triange Comete speakers at the time) - he insisted in using his own interconnects, a pair of Analysis Plus Solo Crystals I believe.

Never taught. My degree was in Classics.

Ah! Maybe there's a house name sign stating 'Dun Roman' (sorry, but it's all I can come up with at this late hour). :D

It crops up with a large helping of pretension.

Yes, occasionally it's affectation, but whereas some Latin derived nouns have shed their Roman plural origins whilst technically retaining the Latin plural (e.g. stadium=stadiums or stadia), forums, I believe, has been around for as long as I have (which is a long time).

Thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge over the last week, to be honest I was expecting more recommendations for Valved CD players / Valved preamps but it is also chip dependant which was news to me.
I would like to add that I built a new house 3 years ago and I set out the living room to match the recommended Golden Ratio's detailed in many acoustic design manuals, I also have the speakers firing down the room for better or worse....
I am going to start off with a Rotel RCD-971 that uses the PCM63 DAC chip after winning an e bay auction, delivery should be next week and I will see where that will take me initially, hopefully I can get some magic to happen in one of my systems.....
I am still open to further recommendations and advice, I may eventually even require room correction and cheaper speakers ;)

Thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge over the last week, to be honest I was expecting more recommendations for Valved CD players / Valved preamps but it is also chip dependant which was news to me.
I would like to add that I built a new house 3 years ago and I set out the living room to match the recommended Golden Ratio's detailed in many acoustic design manuals, I also have the speakers firing down the room for better or worse....
I am going to start off with a Rotel RCD-971 that uses the PCM63 DAC chip after winning an e bay auction, delivery should be next week and I will see where that will take me initially, hopefully I can get some magic to happen in one of my systems.....
I am still open to further recommendations and advice, I may eventually even require room correction and cheaper speakers ;)
Sounds like a nice opening gambit.Hope you get to your own personal nirvana.

For 3D soundstage - Consonance CD 2.2 Linear (TDA1543 + valve). Jim from Audiolincs demonstrated this CD player in my home when he was in business some years back, superb acoustics (matched with a Consonance Cyber 10 Signature 2A3 valve amp and Triange Comete speakers at the time) - he insisted in using his own interconnects, a pair of Analysis Plus Solo Crystals I believe.
Ah I remember Jim well, real gent , I bought quite a bit of stuff from him

To be honest I was expecting more recommendations for Valved CD players ...

Possibly because not a lot of people have them; nor are there many models out there.

Such attention to detail. I wonder if this also applied to the electrics. With the exception of some (usually I.B. or stand-mount) speakers, firing down the room has far far better potential for imaging, soundstage and positioning. For ESLs and rear-ported, m/coils, mandatory, i.m.o. Greater likelihood of allowing a few feet behind one's listening position too; an often overlooked sonic improvement.

Possibly because not a lot of people have them; nor are there many models out there.

Such attention to detail. I wonder if this also applied to the electrics. With the exception of some (usually I.B. or stand-mount) speakers, firing down the room has far far better potential for imaging, soundstage and positioning. For ESLs and rear-ported, m/coils, mandatory, i.m.o. Greater likelihood of allowing a few feet behind one's listening position too; an often overlooked sonic improvement.

Yes I put in a dedicated circuit and seperate earth to the sockets feeding the hifi / active speakers, I do have a large TV on one side which may not be helping things and a pair of those "bright" leather sofas :)
I do move my listening position away from the rear wall....

Yes I put in a dedicated circuit and separate earth to the sockets feeding the hifi / active speakers, I do have a large TV on one side which may not be helping things and a pair of those "bright" leather sofas :).

Hopefully separate c.u., RCBOs and multiple 6/10mm cables as well. (I jest as that's a bit o.t.t. but is what I've got as a legasy from when I I had Naim for a generation!!!!). Can't see a prob. with the TV if it's out of firing range. I used to have my big CRT to the side, but my 40" sits between the big ESLs now. My 7' sofa is leather and is anything BUT bright. Floor covering matters more, i.m.o. Are they big actives (ATCs)? Not sure if these are I.B. or ported.

advertisement

Back