advertisement

Best 3D sounding CD player / source

ARCAM ARCAM ARCAM!!!

He says having never owned any of their products. Oh the fun of fora.
While on that subject I've just taken delivery of a rphono and finding that a bit special too. It's a great match for my OC9.
Not everything they do is totally great though. Ive had one or two less inspiring offerings.
I use Naim and Yamaha as well.

Back to the OP. Yep 3D soundstage is wonderful on 1950s / 60s jazz that I have found. I'm not always that bothered with some other stuff though.

While on that subject I've just taken delivery of a rphono and finding that a bit special too. It's a great match for my OC9.
Not everything they do is totally great though. Ive had one or two less inspiring offerings.
I use Naim and Yamaha as well.

Back to the OP. Yep 3D soundstage is wonderful on 1950s / 60s jazz that I have found. I'm not always that bothered with some other stuff though.
Listened to Stan Getz Focus the other day. Great first track with excellent 3 D quality.I find the same with these jazz recordings from that era.

With classical concerts, lots.
Yes, and I want that from my hi-fi and recordings. Listen to Cantate Domino, a classic dem disc for that. Quite spectacular. Two mikes, a good ReVox machine and you’re in the venue.
No 3D from rock I’m afraid. All fabricated and fake.

Quite a while back I listened to a dealer's high end CDP and Smart 845 monoblocks. We played some excellent Blue Note jazz from earlier times and the 3 dimensional holography was such that I've not heard since.
But when we played Ride's indie rock it just sounded horrible. The system did not suit it at all.
I'm now sitting here listening to the Rotel 965 again. It does work well on some stuff.
Each to his own fish as they say in France.

Arcam seem to have an unfair reputation for being a little unexciting and boring.Well built and worthy. Like Volvo used to be or maybe still are. They make some very nice products.
Agreed, I’ve had quite a few Arcam products, I think the Alpha 7CD and Alpha 7r amp I had were perhaps a little on the safe/polite side. The Alpha 8r had all the smoothness I’d the 7r but with more detail and energy, and the Alpha 9 amp and CD player were much more lively, genuinely excellent, entertaining products... my favourite Arcam product though, was my Alpha 5+, that was a superb CD player and could never be accused of being unexciting or boring. Also, I have an Arcam IrDAC sat between my iMac and a Linn Majik and Q acoustics 3010s used as a near field desktop system... it’s not the last word in speed or dynamics but it does do detail and soundstage really well, I’m in no rush to change it. I do like Arcam.

Agreed, I’ve had quite a few Arcam products, I think the Alpha 7CD and Alpha 7r amp I had were perhaps a little on the safe/polite side. The Alpha 8r had all the smoothness I’d the 7r but with more detail and energy, and the Alpha 9 amp and CD player were much more lively, genuinely excellent, entertaining products... my favourite Arcam product though, was my Alpha 5+, that was a superb CD player and could never be accused of being unexciting or boring. Also, I have an Arcam IrDAC sat between my iMac and a Linn Majik and Q acoustics 3010s used as a near field desktop system... it’s not the last word in speed or dynamics but it does do detail and soundstage really well, I’m in no rush to change it. I do like Arcam.
Heard the phono stage was excellent and have always heard good things about the IRDac.

The main problem with Arcam was how cheap they looked back in the 90s.
Some cheap looking kit sounds great because the work goes in on the innards. Old CA kit, Creek and Nad sounded better than their looks and build. Some is built well but looks distinctly agricultural.

Heard the phono stage was excellent and have always heard good things about the IRDac.
I’ve yet to hear the phono stage, but yes, I’ve heard a lot of good reports.

A friend of mine is selling an FMJ A19, that’s a really nice piece of kit too, big, powerful and well balanced sound, and it really looks the part too in black/dark grey.

Some cheap looking kit sounds great because the work goes in on the innards. Old CA kit, Creek and Nad sounded better than their looks and build. Some is built well but looks distinctly agricultural.
I don’t doubt it but people buy with eyes & ears.

The main problem with Arcam was how cheap they looked back in the 90s.

I don’t doubt it but people buy with eyes & ears.
I quite liked it, particularly the later Alpha kit, with the swoopy face panels... I remember being an enthusiastic 15 year old sat in the dealership dem room, listening to (and looking at) all the kit I’d read about in the magazines... I’d worked my ass off delivering newspapers early in the morning and again in the evenings seven days a week (okay Sundays were just mornings, but have you ever picked up a Sunday newspaper?), I’d got just over grand saved, and it was going on a nice HIFI, and it went on Arcam and Rega kit, it didn’t look cheap then, it looked like awesomeness to me, and I couldn’t wait for my stuff to be delivered. It’ll always hold a special place with me. I’ll never forget the first time I unveiled it to my mates though, one of them was not impressed... “where’s all the buttons and lights?” he asked, I was gutted... but then later on he bought a 1.6 Subaru Impreza with a full WRX body kit and a neon ground lighting kit and I absolutely annihilated him in my diesel VW Golf (remapped to 200BHP he didn’t stand a chance), friends witnessed it, I had the last laugh.:D

Sorry OP for going off topic, I have a habit of going off on anecdotal tangents.

Bloody hell my first part time job purchase was a sony walkman / discman, the difference between tapes and the shiny disc.
I used to caddy at a very well to do golf course when I was young and one day I fell in love with a BMW 8 series dash as I put the clubs away, off I went to college and 10 years later I bought a 7 series just to live that dream!!

Yes, and I want that from my hi-fi and recordings. Listen to Cantate Domino, a classic dem disc for that. Quite spectacular. Two mikes, a good ReVox machine and you’re in the venue.
No 3D from rock I’m afraid. All fabricated and fake.
Cowboy Junkies, the Trinity Sessions.

I’d got just over grand saved, and it was going on a nice HIFI, and it went on Arcam and Rega kit, it didn’t look cheap then, it looked like awesomeness to me, and I couldn’t wait for my stuff to be delivered.

My first system was Linn Axis/Akito/K5, Arcam Delta 70.2 (later 170.3/BB3) CD, Delta 80 tuner and Delta 60 amp, with Linn Index 2s. Loved it. Often think about recreating it...

Cheers

Iain.

My first system was Linn Axis/Akito/K5, Arcam Delta 70.2 (later 170.3/BB3) CD, Delta 80 tuner and Delta 60 amp, with Linn Index 2s. Loved it. Often think about recreating it...

Bet it would sound excellent too.

Never heard of Cowboy Junkies.

Bet it would sound excellent too.

Never heard of Cowboy Junkies.
OK, you could check them out on a streaming service, but "Trinity Sessions" was recorded in a chapel with particularly good accoustic so you may not get the full "Hi-Fi 3D" experience.

advertisement

Back