advertisement

Best 3D sounding CD player / source

greygoose

pfm Member
Just interested to hear recommendations for 3D / Holographic CD player or transport / DAC, I know this will be system dependant but looking for guidance.

What’s your budget and is it running as a transport, what sort of gear is in the rest of your system ? No point recommend a high end esoteric cdp (or equivalent) for a system that can’t draw on its capabilities.

I havea a few options re systems, main system is a chord dac/modwright pre and ATC asl 50s.
I also have ProAC D18 which can do 3d / holographic soundstage, demo was with a modest music fidelity cd player many years ago.
I also have a HP4 Modified headphone amp / HD800'S so should be able to draw some capabilities, I recently listened to Esotheris cdp at Dublin hifishow, was good but with rooms hard to know what is can offers, not holographic on the day.

Have a listen to a proper old school R2R ladder DAC. Imo the BB pcm63 is probably the best. The imaging of these old dacs has always surprised me.

Check out a Theta Pro VA if you can find one.

I just read a review, "Always a champion when it comes to conveying three dimensions"
As you said if I can find one....

Have a listen to a proper old school R2R ladder DAC. Imo the BB pcm63 is probably the best. The imaging of these old dacs has always surprised me.

Check out a Theta Pro VA if you can find one.
Funny you say that. I have a Linn Numerik (I’ve had a few of them), the early ones came with a pair of socketed PCM63 chips, the majority of them have PCM1702 chips on little adapter boards that just plug into the chip sockets. There’s not a vast difference between the two chips, both sound superb, very natural, open and detailed, great imaging, the PCM1702s are perhaps a little brighter but it is subtle, they actually sold them as an upgrade kit. I love the way they sound, they’ve seen off much more modern DACs. The different power supplies make more difference than the chips. My Numerik is an early one (serial number below 150) but has had both the PCM1702 (Nuki upgrade) and a slimline brilliant PSU... and a full recap. I’d have to spend a lot to better it... of course, the Rega ISIS I mentioned above is better... but it does cost a lot.

In absolute terms CD players and especially DACs do sound a bit flat.I have tried heaps of them over the last 10 years and most are like that.
The old Sony CDP 715 or CDP 715E is a standout CD player for 3D imaging.It is not perfect and can sound very slightly lacking in bass power and a touch bright in the wrong system but is remarkably clear and open sounding.You can buy one of them very cheap.Other than that the Accuphase CD players and DACs are excellent.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/sony-cdp-715e-is-it-a-classic-yet.134693/

Funny you say that. I have a Linn Numerik (I’ve had a few of them), the early ones came with a pair of socketed PCM63 chips, the majority of them have PCM1702 chips on little adapter boards that just plug into the chip sockets. There’s not a vast difference between the two chips, both sound superb, very natural, open and detailed, great imaging, the PCM1702s are perhaps a little brighter but it is subtle, they actually sold them as an upgrade kit. I love the way they sound, they’ve seen off much more modern DACs. The different power supplies make more difference than the chips. My Numerik is an early one (serial number below 150) but has had both the PCM1702 (Nuki upgrade) and a slimline brilliant PSU... and a full recap. I’d have to spend a lot to better it... of course, the Rega ISIS I mentioned above is better... but it does cost a lot.

Yes I like the PCM 1702 based CD players and DACs too.
I have an Accuphase DC 61 DAC which uses 12 PCM 1702 in their multiple multi bit design and sounds lovely.
I also own a Krell KAV 300CD player which has been converted into a USB DAC and that uses PCM 1702s too -along with a massive fully discrete output stage.
Both those DACs have seen off any modern players/DACs I have tried.
Although the Sony CDP 715 I mentioned matches them for 3D imaging.Maybe is even slightly better than them in that area but does not sound as refined as the Accuphase or as fleshed out as the Krell.

Yes I like the PCM 1702 based CD players and DACs too.
I have an Accuphase DC 61 DAC which uses 12 PCM 1702 in their multiple multi bit design and sounds lovely.
I also own a Krell KAV 300CD player which has been converted into a USB DAC and that uses PCM 1702s too -along with a massive fully discrete output stage.
Both those DACs have seen off any modern players/DACs I have tried.
Although the Sony CDP 715 I mentioned matches them for 3D imaging.Maybe is even slightly better than them in that area but does not sound as refined as the Accuphase or as fleshed out as the Krell.
Yes, the Numerik uses a fully discrete output stage too, the PCB is rather densely populated to say the least. These DACs weren’t cheap new, but it’s easy to see why when you open one up.

PS, I do have a soft spot for vintage Sony gear!

Sorry, but I think the original question is a bit limited. In my experience you have to think at system level, source first is BS.

Having said that, for me a NOS player/ DAC and an extremly accurate clock with as close to zero jitter/ interference as you can get will have you on the right track.

A decent iMac with Audirvana, a supra low rad optical cable and a JVC 1010TN will get you there, but you could destroy all of that good potential with rubbish speakers.

Metrum Octave is another very good DAC that can produce a fantastic soundstage (in the right system).

Certain valve amps have loads of even order harmonics, which give the illusion of a massive 'walk in' soundstage. Concordant's and most ARC pre amps would be a good place to look.

Sorry, but I think the original question is a bit limited. In my experience you have to think at system level, source first is BS.

Having said that, for me a NOS player/ DAC and an extremly accurate clock with as close to zero jitter/ interference as you can get will have you on the right track.

A decent iMac with Audirvana, a supra low rad optical cable and a JVC 1010TN will get you there, but you could destroy all of that good potential with rubbish speakers.

Metrum Octave is another very good DAC that can produce a fantastic soundstage (in the right system).

Certain valve amps have loads of even order harmonics, which give the illusion of a massive 'walk in' soundstage. Concordant's and most ARC pre amps would be a good place to look.
OP has ATC speakers so source is the key here surely?

note you have a modwright pre , i have 2 modwright modded jolida dacs which are rather good .

as for transports , the moon and ps audio spring to mind . I am rather curious though why the chap selling this ps audio transport is advertising for a decent transport !!!

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/more...ve_Transport&p=cdplayer&prod_id=80806&offset=

if i had 1800 quid i would be over to wigston in a jiffy for this minter moon

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/more...oon_Neo_260D&p=cdplayer&prod_id=80620&offset=

advertisement

Back