advertisement

Best 3D sounding CD player / source

Why ? Under ABX you cannot tell the difference between CD and MP3 at 64kbps. Do you sell this useless bit of kit that will not make a difference due to all Dacs sounding the same ? :rolleyes:

Edgar has demonstrated the BACCH system in Munich and also at a UK show, it is hugely impressive how stereo really should sound.
http://bacch.com/

Keith

When I was looking for a new CD player the best natural sound and 3d imaging came from a Naim CD5x which I bought. I am mainly vinyl so it was nice to find a cd player that presented in a similar fashion.

It replaced a Marantz CD63 KI Signature and I tried it against a Meridian, Ayre and Naim CDX2.

Haven't added any power supplies to it.

When I was looking for a new CD player the best natural sound and 3d imaging came from a Naim CD5x which I bought. I am mainly vinyl so it was nice to find a cd player that presented in a similar fashion.

It replaced a Marantz CD63 KI Signature and I tried it against a Meridian, Ayre and Naim CDX2.

Haven't added any power supplies to it.
I listened to the Naim with ATC speakers in a hifi shop in the NE.Very in the room sound.Tight with a full tone.I think that is probably a good suggestion.

Edgar has demonstrated the BACCH system in Munich and also at a UK show, it is hugely impressive how stereo really should sound.
http://bacch.com/

Keith

How can it, when you keep telling us all digital sounds the same :confused:

Seriously now though, I have found 44.1 with a properly designed Dac, has got depth, width and separation without having to apply any "correction"

Perhaps just actually read what it can do before making any more thoughtless posts.

I’ve just skimmed the website (it is very light on detail). It looks to be an FX device similar to say Roland Q-Sound or the technologies used to make little TV soundbars sound “wide”. It is clearly adding additional ‘flavour’ and ‘interpretation’ to the source material, which I thought was the polar opposite of your whole tub-thumping ‘reproduce the signal and nothing more’ ideology.

Q sound was awful.

As with any other studio tool its just a tool, its up to the artist/producer to find a need for it and use it well. I’d happily use it on electronica and other entirely studio-created music, though absolutely not on a string quartet! To be honest the only examples of its use I can bring to mind are Sting’s Dream Of The Blue Turtles and some Madonna (Vogue etc), neither of which are really my ‘thing’, but seem well liked recording/mastering wise. I’ve never played with it myself.

Ah, I never realised it had gone that far down-market. It was a high-end studio rack FX unit when I heard of it! You’d never stick a whole mix through it, just pan a synth arpeggio or whatever all over the place to give the track some movement.

I’ve just skimmed the website (it is very light on detail). It looks to be an FX device similar to say Roland Q-Sound or the technologies used to make little TV soundbars sound “wide”. It is clearly adding additional ‘flavour’ and ‘interpretation’ to the source material, which I thought was the polar opposite of your whole tub-thumping ‘reproduce the signal and nothing more’ ideology.
None of those, essentially the left channel is only heard in your left ear and not later and quieter in your right and vice versa.
There is a bit more information on the Theoretica site.
https://www.theoretica.us/about.html

Keith

The best 3D sounding CD player I have owned was an Audiomeca Damnation SE CDT and Elixir DAC , but that's quite time ago, the best 3D sounding sources I have heard or owned have been analogue so far.

I met a COI minister once and he told me that Audiomeca's digital products had all names given to the Devil, Damnation, Keops, Mephisto, Obbsession, Elixir, etc, given that Pierre Lurné had designed analogue products previously perhaps his naming of the digital products was a bit tounge in cheek.

Its just marketing. Where is the white paper? Where is the actual detail of what is being manipulated? It is clearly an FX unit IMO.
Edgar and Martijn were to share a room at this years Munich Hi-End but sadly.. perhaps next year.
The system isn’t without its drawbacks, a relatively narrow window of acceptance and it is somewhat dependent on the recording but it can be spectacular, a couple of customers use it and there is a discussion thread on ASR if you are interested.
Hopefully soon the tech will be built into loudspeakers which to me makes more sense.
Keith

Just interested to hear recommendations for 3D / Holographic CD player or transport / DAC, I know this will be system dependant but looking for guidance.
No recommendations here, but that is really what hi-fi is all about for me.
Any decent hi-fi can play music of course, but 3D imaging is what makes it realistic beyond anything else for me.

As with any other studio tool its just a tool, its up to the artist/producer to find a need for it and use it well. I’d happily use it on electronica and other entirely studio-created music, though absolutely not on a string quartet! To be honest the only examples of its use I can bring to mind are Sting’s Dream Of The Blue Turtles and some Madonna (Vogue etc), neither of which are really my ‘thing’, but seem well liked recording/mastering wise. I’ve never played with it myself.

Roger Waters : Amused to Death used Qsound to good effect, dogs barking outside, the horse and carriage going along the road way, way behind the speakers and of course the phantom jet overhead and Ferrari F50

advertisement

Back