advertisement

Beatles - Remastered

I can't afford the whole set either, and anyway the sets are all sold out right now. I'm not enough of a Beatles fan (at least I didn't think I was...), so I just picked a few albums I know and really like: Abbey Road, White Album and Let it Be are pretty awesome. In particular Paul's bass a revelation: Supple yet ever so satisfyingly heavy.
I want you is a truly, truly stunning track that will sound *really* good over your Tannoys. Incredible also the way it sets up Here comes the sun. Musique concrete...
The power here is, well, words fail.

Is that Holy Mother of F*ck Good or Holy Mother of F*ck bad?
Good. Though I'm listening for the first time in a long time and through a system that is quantifiably better than any I've had in the past.

The really f***ing annoying thing is that they could have done it all in one, i.e. put both the stereo and mono mixes of the first handful of albums (as they have in the mono box) and just the stereo of the later ones.

Yes, it does smack of trying to extract the maximum dosh from the fans. When buying digital remasters I'm used to getting some sort of bonus to acknowledge the fact that I've bought the stuff before. For example, with Jethro Tull and Deep Purple remasters there are always extra tracks recorded during the original sessions but left off because of space, or because they were chosen as singles. In the case of the Machine Head remaster we got 2 versions of the album - a straight remaster, and a remixed remaster (which improves on the original imo). For the price they are charging for stuff that has been selling for over 40 years they could have made the first albums doubles with mono and stereo versions, rather than pricing them separately.

The really f***ing annoying thing is that they could have done it all in one, i.e. put both the stereo and mono mixes of the first handful of albums (as they have in the mono box) and just the stereo of the later ones.

Yebbut there's money to be made, sadly...

I think I'll go for the stereos, can't justify both either.

Has there been anything new in pop music since 1969? it all seems to be here already.

"Yebbut there's money to be made, sadly..."

As I drove to work this morning, local radio said Paul stood to make $1bn (yes, a billlion) from this reissue...

"Heather is kicking herself - and that hurts a LOT!" :D

Tony,

Can't you buy the remastered mono box set then the few albums you want in remastered stereo as single CDs, or are the new discs available only in box sets?

Joe

Ian,

Yebbut there's money to be made, sadly...
Paramount is notorious for this -- first release the original Star Trek on VHS, then release it again on DVD using the crappy, faded and scratched unrestored film, then release a restored version on DVD with some mediocre CGI, no doubt be followed by a proper fully restored Blue-Ray version, with and without great/mediocre CGI.

Almost makes me want to become a pirate. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Joe

OTOH, Elvin Jones would have taken them to a higher level. They are slighly stuck in the mother groove.

Tony,

Can't you buy the remastered mono box set then the few albums you want in remastered stereo as single CDs, or are the new discs available only in box sets?

Joe

That's what I'm contemplating doing. The Mono's are only available as a box set. I can then add the non-mono albums by buying the seperately available remastered stereo versions.

I agree we are being totally exploited here by EMI (shame on them). I wonder how much input into this format decision Macca and Ringo had?

Stuart

I wonder if buying the mono set first, ripping, then 'changing my mind' and exchanging for the stereo set and a bit of cash back would work.

You've got to be pissed, mental, rich or a combination of all three to own both sets. Arguably two and three are the same thing anyway, and both often regularly include the first IME.

Stuart,

That's what I'm contemplating doing. The Mono's are only available as a box set. I can then add the non-mono albums by buying the seperately available remastered stereo versions.
Good to know. I've definitely blown my pocket cabbage for music with the mono box set purchase, so I'll add the few new stereo releases I'd like sometime later, assuming these aren't also limited-run productions.

Big record company execs... bastards, the lot of them, for screwing the fans during a nasty recession.

Joe

I'm gonna stick my 2nd pressing mono With The Beatles on later and laugh in the face of all this reissue bollox. Muhahahahaha!

And then I might have a sneaky look at what you are all banging on about.

I very nearly bought the mono box set, but sanity prevailed. There's three students in the family now and them tuition fees are crippling!

In any case I've got all the albums except Let It Be on vinyl, and though a couple of them need replacing because of wear and one (Beatles for Sale) is a dodgy Italian pressing, there's no real need to have the whole lot all over again, so I'll probably just buy three to replace the knackered ones.

Unless I change my mind again.

Rubber Soul sounds better than Revolver to these ears.
Revolver being a tad bright and lacking the fuller bottom end of Rubber Soul.

Thanks Joe, it was a pretty decent sounding record anyway ... Well my 70s reissue sounds pretty good anyway.

I hadn't realised the monos were box set only. That's a bit sour. Are the rumoured vinyl releases rumoured to be mono or stereo, and will they be available separately if mono or are EMI planning the same highway robbery on the black stuff?

I doubt I'd buy all of them as I already have them all on vinyl and CD, but if they genuinely sound significantly better and they are the monos then some of them ... If they are available. White Album first probably.

The only thing that worries me is that if the rumour is wrong or they release the stereo versions, and we don't find out for definite before the mono boxes are gone then that'll be it for me so far as mono versions are concerned. I'd be annoyed.

Joe,

I've spent way more than I should have, but I live so cheaply day-to-day (take the bus to work, pack a lunch, eat low on the food chain, etc.) that I have justified my prodigality.*

Joe

* Actually, not quite. I need to work a little longer to convince myself that $240 for 10 CDs was a sane buy.

Joe,

I've spent way more than I should have, but I live so cheaply day-to-day (take the bus to work, pack a lunch, eat low on the food chain, etc.) that I have justified my prodigality.*

Joe

* Actually, not quite. I need to work a little longer to convince myself that $240 for 10 CDs was a sane buy.

If you call it an 'investment' it doesn't sound so bad. And if it's a limited edition, it may actually prove to be an investment.

Me, I've got three lots of tuition fees to find (BA, MA & Phd) between now and October, so buying anything other than food will be difficult (fortunately I've stocked up on shoes, otherwise I'd be going barefoot).

advertisement

Back