advertisement

Beatles - Remastered

andyoz

pfm Member
Will the re-issue of the Beatles remastered catalogue go down as the last great sale of CD's (in their physical form)?

Is it true that you still can't get The Beatles on iTines..

It seems to be very well timed by EMI as they try to dig themselves out of a big hole. :rolleyes:

Is it true that you still can't get The Beatles on iTines..

I think the Apple vs. Apple thing is still going on. Apple (the computer people) have pretty conclusively infringed in Apple's (the record label) core business, i.e. music retail, with iTunes. I don't quite understand why it's taking so long to be honest, I'd have thought the Apple (the record label) case was pretty straightforward.

Tony.

PS anyone know what the state of play for Beatles vinyl is? I really hope the old rumour that Classic Records may do it is true, I'd buy a full set if that was the case.

Last I saw was 180 gm full release 14/11/09 for $25 each. Not had much sleep this weekend listening to the CD re-masters. Such fun & soooooooooooooooo emotional for someone like me who was a teenager back then.
Well, my heart went "boom,"
When I crossed that room,
And I held her hand in mine...

Is the vinyl mono, stereo or both? Ideally I'd like up to Revolver in mono and Sgt Pepper onwards in stereo, but that's just being picky!

Tony.

I was talking to a guy this week that used to do financials at Mute Records.

He said EMI's buyout of Mute in 2002 was a woefully timed (for EMI). EMI bought Mute on the back of massive sales from Moby's Play, etc. and those sales fell off a cliff after the deal was done. They still had Depeche Mode but for Mute it was a case of rats deserting the sinking ship.

It's a ripoff, and that bugs me. I think I'll wait.

'Love' was a DVD-A/CD bundle for the price of a CD. Why can't I have reasonable value 96k/24 of the proper stuff?

Paul

I've sourced a, ahem, 'advance' copy of The Beatles and I can confirm it's rather decent. Whether it's improvement enough over the MFSLs, Blue Boxes, original pressings, Dr Ebbett's, etc., remains to be seen as I've not had a lot of time to listen and now I'm ampless for a few days...

Now, are they releasing these on vinyl, did someone say??? :D

There is a quite extraordinary amount of forum activity on this topic over in the music room at Steve Hoffman's forum. Some interesting info there, but it takes some digging to find due to the sheer quantity.

Tony.

God - am I the only person who owns nothing by this lot and intend to remain immune to the overblown hype?

People have been making jokes about "having to buy the White Album on yet another format" for years - now the joke is you "have to buy it on the same format you probably already have it on".

I think the joke is on you and has been for many years.

The Take That of their era.

Some interesting info there, but it takes some digging to find due to the sheer quantity.

Tony.

Bloody hell. Discursive lot aren't they. Any chance of an executive summary?

(The other half and myself must be bullseye of the target demographic but are resisting ... so far)

God - am I the only person who owns nothing by this lot and intend to remain immune to the overblown hype?

People have been making jokes about "having to buy the White Album on yet another format" for years - now the joke is you "have to buy it on the same format you probably already have it on".

I think the joke is on you and has been for many years.

The Beatles are my favourite band/artist, who is yours?

Don't be daft. What you mean is that you don't like them. That's all. Their place in music's development is huge.

I don't personally like Dylan (in terms of performance - his voice grates), nor do I care for Elvis Presley, but for me to deny their talent, influence and stature would be equally as stupid.

The sheer scale and quality of Beatles output in what was, after all, a ridiculously short period - is simply awesome. For you to dismiss it in such fashion says more about you than them, imo.

They achieved what they did in a world that had yet to become a slave to "hype" I can assure you.

Steve

The thing is not to take any notice of silly statements ,i don't give a monkey's what some folks say about the pre fab four ' i love em and nothing will change that.

The CD set is now available in stereo or mono if you desire but when will the vinyl be available and will it be stereo or mono or what ?

The Hoffman stuff is interesting. To summarise what I've learnt so far:

The stereo masters have received post production through a limiter, the monos haven't. The limiting is apparently pretty subtle though.

Both stereo and mono are weightier / bassier than the 1987 CDs, which is probably a good thing as the latter sound tinny compared to good original vinyl (they apparently were cut flat, which is not how a master is usually meant to be heard - the final balancing is usually applied at the cut stage and can be significant).

The mono mixes of the first few albums also include the 1960s stereo mixes.

The stereo mixes of the first few albums also include the 1987 stereo mixes.

Tape cuts, splice clicks etc have beed edited out. This obviously is / is not heresy.

Most are reporting significant extra clarity. I'd love to hear them, but I'm not convinced I'm prepared to drop £200 on a CD box set so I'll wait and see what the vinyl brings.

Tony.

(who's Beatles collection is mainly silver-black 70s stereo pressings, so should be pretty easy to beat)

Any copy has got to sound better than The Beatles Box (the one that looks like a crate). My dad purchased it years ago and its in excellent condition but sounds terrible.

advertisement

Back