advertisement

BBMF Spitfire crash

Very sad news.
Totally agree.

I do wish that these fantastic old aeroplanes were grounded for good. By now there is more than enough film of them doing their stuff, and there is a certain inevitability that now and in future they will come back down in a bad way. One dead RAF pilot is more than enough justification for this ban on flying.

An un-necessary flight results in an un-necessary death - never mind the the actual cause. These are old machines and no amount of loving care from the ground crew can guarantee that some ancient part will not fail with fatal consequences. Worse still is the the potential for an un-interested person on the ground being killed.

Just tu'pence worth from an old git.

Beast wishes from George

Totally agree.

I do wish that these fantastic old aeroplanes were grounded for good. By now there is more than enough film of them doing their stuff, and there is a certain inevitability that now and in future they will come back down in a bad way. One dead RAF pilot is more than enough justification for this ban on flying.

An un-necessary flight results in an un-necessary death - never mind the the actual cause. These are old machines and no amount of loving care from the ground crew can guarantee that some ancient part will not fail with fatal consequences. Worse still is the the potential for an un-interested person on the ground being killed.

Just tu'pence worth from an old git.

Beast wishes from George
Ok George. And what you’re asking for is an end to all flying, driving, cycling… running and walking? All DIY. I could go on.

George makes a sensible point. There must be a time when they become liabilities, with their parts getting so old. Just like all the old farts on pfm & their hips, drooling, & leaky 'downstairs' dribbles.

Capt

Very sad news, and my sympathies go not only to the friends and family of the pilot, but also to the crew who looked after the plane. I have no doubt they will be devastated.

However I completely disagree that this means such planes should be grounded. The recent Boeing 737 incidents show that modern technology, design and build processes are no guarantee of safety or reliability.

Most importantly, I’d bet any money the late pilot would have agreed with me.

We have no idea what happened and should not assume the problem was with the plane (e.g. Shoreham). Sh*t happens, and this is really sad news.

RIP Mark Long. Died doing what he loved doing.

George makes a sensible point. There must be a time when they become liabilities, with their parts getting so old. Just like all the old farts on pfm & their hips, drooling, & leaky 'downstairs' dribbles.

Capt
Not if they are properly maintained there isn't. Commercial aircraft remain in service for decades and do thousands of hours every year. Certain parts come off every so many hours and are renewed regardless. It's not like me and my old car that I simply drive and service, hope for the best and rely on the AA to recover it it fails. Antiques like this do a few afternoons a year and can be maintained properly in between. Once again, they should have service items that come off every so long and are replaced regardless. Nobody is poking a part worn bearing and saying "Hmm. Probably be OK if you're careful."

B-52s built 60 years ago are still bombing people and expected to be in active service at 100.
The BBMF aircraft will be much more carefully maintained.

But hey, let’s ban old aircraft, especially old aircraft that are properly maintained. Properly inspected. Have unserviceable parts replaced. Are stripped and inspected over winter. Are flown by some of the best pilots around.
Your conclusion may be fine but, 1500 car drivers per private pilot ... But I agree all deaths are unacceptable.

Perhaps more relevant, the figure I was given when I was flying is that helicopters are 10x higher risk than single engine fixed wing.

@George J

Have you been to a warbird airshow in the last few years?
I have never been to an airshow, but have seen Concord, the Vulcan, the BBFM Hurricane, Spitfire and Lancaster, various DC3s, an Airbus 380 among many other notable aeroplanes in the sky over head ... here in Herefordshire and also in Norway. Never seen a Lightning! Nor a Mosquito! We used to get an Osprey fly over from time to time as well, but they are currently grounded, I believe.

I was both sad and in another way happy when the Vulcan was retired from flying.

Best wishes from George

advertisement

Back