advertisement

BBMF Spitfire crash

I have never been to an airshow, but have seen Concord, the Vulcan, the BBFM Hurricane, Spitfire and Lancaster, various DC3s, an Airbus 380 among many other notable aeroplanes in the sky over head ... here in Herefordshire and also in Norway. Never seen a Lightning! Nor a Mosquito! We used to get an Osprey fly over from time to time as well, but they are currently grounded, I believe.

I was both sad and in another way happy when the Vulcan was retired from flying.

Best wishes from George
The thrill that many people derive from both flying and watching, and of course hearing, those aircraft being used is something we should enjoy and allow to continue.

The world is already a long way down the path of bland greyness to the extent that I didn’t go to the Masters Historic meeting at Brands Hatch yesterday, as the spectator experience has been ruined for me over the years. To stuff these old aircraft into bland, soulless museums would be almost criminal. But, of course, that’s. It where most would go. They’d be bought by our rich overlords in America and either flown enthusiastically there, or be put into pointless long term storage by Kermit Weekes.
We’ve already lost so many historic aircraft over the last 20 years to North America, it makes me want to scream.

If you don’t want to die, don’t get concieved. If you are born, live life.

Well, get a flying suit then. You will enjoy yourself and not bother ayone else or harm the environment.

The whole universe will end at some point anyway.
The only way humans can have no effect on the planet is to not be here.
Sitting around doing nothing is a choice, I suppose, but it doesn’t appeal to me. And that’s partly because even sat in a house doing nothing, I’m still having an impact on the wellbeing of the planet.
And anything that annoys Mick P is worth supporting ;)

the US is trying to brink back supersonic transport, even supersonic private jets. These make a Spitfire look like a moped in fuel consumption.
Multiple passenger transportation cannot be compared to one person's fun.
Many cities, even in oil-land US, have banned cars much more recent than a Spitfire.

I believe in running historical artefacts as long as it is possible. The story they have to tell is told far better functioning and in context. This goes for everything from steam engines, mills, looms, cars, computers, aircraft etc etc. There is nothing more boring than a static exhibit that could be restored and running.

Running a well maintained vintage aircraft is likely no more dangerous than a motorbike on typically busy modern roads, yet anyone can do that, and many choose to. I’ve really no issue with it. No one is conscripting pilots, those that volunteer will fully understand the risk factors. I find it disappointing that so much aviation is now no longer considered airworthy, e.g. younger generations will never get to see a Starfighter, Lightning, Vulcan or whatever. Keep as much history flying as possible. I’m wary of the politics of some of it, e.g. how the far-right have subverted tools of anti-fascism into icons of nationalism, but that’s another discussion. I hope this tragedy has no lasting impact of the rest of the flight.

All my favourite museums are full of functioning running stuff.

How many is many? A handful of plane spotters? And certainly a generational thing.
Generational? Really? Certainly? Really?

At ANY airshow, you’ll see little kids’ faces light up when they first hear a Spitfire, Mustang, Lancaster, Hellcat etc being given the beans. I think you’re either extremely hard of hearing, or bereft of being able to appreciate real engines.

Whatever you do, don’t go to Santa Pid to watch Top Fuel dragsters shaking the continental shelf… you might break out into a grimace!

I think you’re either extremely hard of hearing
I have excellent hearing, which is why I would like to see recreational flight restricted and jetski + recreational power boat banned from beaches.

Electrical F1s would be a dream come true.

Well, if you’re a miserable ol git who wants the world to be blander than Bland Jack McBland, yes.
Not that old mind you, only half a century old. And I would rather not have one person's selfish pleasure to disturb other people's peace and quiet.

Multiple passenger transportation cannot be compared to one person's fun.
Many cities, even in oil-land US, have banned cars much more recent than a Spitfire.
So a supersonic private jet so that a billionaire can commute a bit quicker, while burning more fuel in a day than you do in a few years?

Very sad indeed, I love history of any type, we should cling on to these things as long as we can whilst looking to the future.

So a supersonic private jet so that a billionaire can commute a bit quicker, while burning more fuel in a day than you do in a few years?
Private jets should be banned, I though you meant long-distance commercial passenger travel.

Firstly, a very sad loss of a person and a rare MkIX Spitfire.
Additionally, there is the thorny topic of Conservation vs Preservation.
To keep vintage aircraft certified airworthy, they may require non-original parts, as originals no longer exist.
There will be some aviation enthusiasts & historians who would rather keep a hull 100% historically authentically preserved in a roped off museum display, & others who would rather see it fly all be it with some non-original components on it.
The impact of seeing a flying WW2 aircraft can have on a young kid can often be enough to spark a life-long interest in history & aviation. More so I would think than seeing them in a museum setting, even a superb one such as Duxford IWM.
Growing up in Essex, when I realised there was so much aviation history on my doorstep it sparked a lifelong interest in finding the now disused airfields of East Anglia, as well as trying to understand just how so many aircraft were scrapped, dismantled such that now there are hardly any examples left anywhere.
Mosquitos, Typhoons, Tempests, B26‘s, B29’s, P47’s & many others.
Yes, it’s a “minority interest”. But then so is sitting down & listening to a record on a turntable.

Not that old mind you, only half a century old. And I would rather not have one person's selfish pleasure to disturb other people's peace and quiet.
The crash was right next to the base at Coningsby. A military airfield for a long long time.

The reason these aircraft fly is to give pleasure to many. The pilot, although enjoying it, is doing it as a part of his job. He has a routine to follow, rules to obey, and massive responsibility.

advertisement

Back