advertisement

BBMF Spitfire crash

Consider the remarkable developments in aviation since the Wright Flyer and 50 years later in 1953 when the official speed record was over 750mph.

In August 2010 part of the BBMF took up residence at North Weald for a few days. I can't recall why, but they were 'touring' the south of the country, and NW gave them less flight time to and from base - I think Merlin engines require a complete overhaul every 500 hours. These photographs show a small aspect of the care and attention lavished upon their precious charges - a group of technicians touching up minor blemishes to the leading edge of a propeller. They told me that the prop blades are made of laminated wood, and any moisture that can get in will eventually lead to failure.

zSG7LE.jpg

2QAgT5.jpg

v4xizu.jpg

dCBnCd.jpg

It was marvellous to have open access to the aircraft on the flightline, everything was extremely relaxed. In fact I was co-opted into helping push them into their hangar one evening, which felt oddly thrilling. I don't suppose a Piper Cherokee would have given the same emotional buzz.

I remember once being at Manchester Southside (which dates this story) when the Yeovilton Sea Fury stopped by for a day or two. It was displaying at Barton but couldn't operate from there because it's too small. The pilot, John Beattie, needed somebody to remove the chocks once he'd finished his engine run-up checks. I volunteered, and was very carefully briefed on how to approach the aircraft without getting minced by the prop, what hand signals he'd use, and so-on. It was a visceral experience being that close to a Centaurus being run-up, one I'll never forget.

They told me that the prop blades are made of laminated wood, and any moisture that can get in will eventually lead to failure.
At the 2018 RIAT there was a planned mass flypast of 50 aircraft including the BBMF. The BBMF aircraft were warming up ready then they returned to there parking spaces. The one big shower of the day was about to hit Fairford. We were told over the tannoy that they always tried to avoid flying in rain to preserve the propellors.

These aircraft are maintained to a standard that could not have been achieved in war-time service.

That entire flypast was cancelled as the shower cells made it impossible for them to form up safely. Unlike at a recent pop gig where the leading artist had been arrested on her way to Manchester, there was no dissent among the fans, just a communal shrugging of shoulders.

Terrible shame about this crash. But even the best maintained and trained fleet can experience disaster, such as Concorde which was a bizarre set of circumstances. As mentioned, risk is part of military and civil flying and I'd be surprised if many pilots would walk away given the chance of mishap.

i thought they might have grounded all spitfires but seems Rolls Royce heritage flight are flying their spitfire and mustang at cosford tommorow

advertisement

Back