advertisement

Bargain Box Sets

Tony says -

images

:D

OK, then "The Complete Prestige Recordings" 3-disc set of Monk looks tempting at $16-

"Monk recorded for Prestige as a leader and sideman between October 1952 (after leaving Blue Note) and December 1954 (before bolting for Riverside). Prestige's initial LPs sliced and diced these sessions, but they're here in chronological order, all 33 memorable tracks on 3 CDs! Drummer Art Blakey joins in on Bye-Ya and Monk's Dream ; Max Roach beats the skins on Trinkle Trinkle; Reflections , and Bemsha Swing , and bassist Percy Heath visits for Nutty; Work , and Blue Monk . Triumphant!"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004UETR/?tag=pinkfishmedia-20

edit: shoot, I have 2 out of 3 of these on vinyl - here are the three albums:

Thelonious Monk Trio (Prestige 7027), 1952–4
Monk (Prestige 7053) recorded 1953-4
Thelonious Monk and Sonny Rollins (Prestige 7075), recorded 1953-4

A Sony Rollins 5 CD set seems a bit of a bargain.

Original Album Classis

The price of this boxset rattles up and down all over the place. Current it is £10. It can £30. Anyway, it is sublime. The music is concise and beautifully played. The recording is superbly realised. The audience bordering on rude. Buy this before it is deleted and be satisfied that the woman who yaps through some amazing music probably died years ago....

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The Bill Evans At Village Vanguard box linked in Martin's post above is simply incredible value at a tenner! One of my most played CDs, an amazing recording of an amazing performance.

And while I'm thinking of it....this is a classic boxset that charts the development of funk. It also includes many of the count-ins to the records and they alone are pretty memorable.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The Bill Evans At Village Vanguard box linked in Martin's post above is simply incredible value at a tenner! One of my most played CDs, an amazing recording of an amazing performance.

Totally agree, some of the finest music commited to disc

This Original Album Classics box collects Sonny Rollin's classic RCA stuff and is both legit and utterly superb. Anyone who doesn't have a copy of The Bridge and Sonny Meets Hawk should buy it immediately. THAT'S RIGHT NOW! Just essential stuff.

Great, if expensive, thread! Got the Simon & Garfunkel, Sunny Rollin and Bill Evans sets and am very tempted by the Vogue Vintage Jazz... Thanks a lot!

Just received Donny Hathaway Original Album Series 5 CD set and playing Donny Hathaway Live from this box set now, really nice sound great vocalist and superb musicians.

advertisement

Back