advertisement

Bargain Box Sets

I was looking at the "The Complete Album Collection" - Bob Dylan
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F6Y3FKW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Looks like quite a few albums have been re-mastered for this collection, currently @ £143.50 on Amazon. Bargin?

I only have about 7 of his albums with the last being "Tempest" which gets lot's of plays at the moment.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'll no doubt get shot as a heretic, but IMO you can 'do' Dylan with the Mono Box (which is a truly lovely thing and sounds superb) and a copy of Blood On The Tracks!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Got the Sonny Rollins this morning.

Fabulous. Thanks for the tips.

there is a new Giulini centenary offer available on amazon, A wonderful conductor, three different CD collections, the London Years offers 17 cds for £33

I can recommend the Chicago Years with four CDs for just over a tenner including a marvellous Beethoven 7th Symphony

John

Some of the smaller 3xCD Original Album Classics boxes are excellent, e.g. this Gil Scott-Heron. Everyone needs that one!

I'll no doubt get shot as a heretic, but IMO you can 'do' Dylan with the Mono Box (which is a truly lovely thing and sounds superb) and a copy of Blood On The Tracks!
Hi Tony, givern me second thoughts now and the reviews of the "Mono" all seems to pint towards the Mono being better then the make then stereo versions. I already have "blood on the tracks" and "blonde on blonde" both stereo from 2003.

Was he's 70's and 80's period not so favourable? so it's better getting the Mono and cherry picking his more recent efforts?

Was he's 70's and 80's period not so favourable? so it's better getting the Mono and cherry picking his more recent efforts?

No one can answer that one but you as there are countless fans of all periods of his work - my earlier posts was intended in a somewhat light-hearted / facetious way!

I'm lucky as my favourite Dylan is pretty much all in the Mono Box. The edgy 60s folk and early electric stuff is where it's at from my perspective, though I've also got Nashville Skyline (vinyl), Blood On The Tracks (CD) and Planet Waves (vinyl). I'm not quite sure why I've got Planet Waves as I don't think I've played it for about 25 years, I can't remember much about it. Must dig it out for a spin.

I'm not quite sure why I've got Planet Waves as I don't think I've played it for about 25 years, I can't remember much about it.

Me neither, though I do remember the NME review (possibly by Nick Kent) which included words to the effect of 'This album should really be called "Dylan Waves Two Fingers At His Fans"'.

I'm far from convinced that one is legit! Probably best not to buy jazz by the kg/ft...

When you say "not legit" - what do you mean ?

Surely a company the size of Amazon will cover themselves by ensuring that anything sold via their website does not infringe copyright or is not stolen etc.

When you say "not legit" - what do you mean ?

There is a loophole in EU copyright where after 50 years any spiv with the inclination can pirate and sell music. An awful lot of jazz and classical stuff out there at the moment is basically poor quality pirated CD copies or even vinyl needledrops. My advice is to research before buying and stick to the labels who own the copyright or license it with permission.

There is nothing stopping you or I releasing a pirated copy of Kind Of Blue or whatever. It really is a free for all.

There is a loophole in EU copyright where after 50 years any spiv with the inclination can pirate and sell music. An awful lot of jazz and classical stuff out there at the moment is basically poor quality pirated CD copies or even vinyl needledrops. My advice is to research before buying and stick to the labels who own the copyright or license it with permission.

There is nothing stopping you or I releasing a pirated copy of Kind Of Blue or whatever. It really is a free for all.

OK I take your point - I believe the 50 rule applies to everything and is in UK law as well as EU. I also believe that in the US, the cut off is 75 years.

For instance, I believe you can download any Charles Dickens novel onto your ebook if you so wish because of the 50 year rule.

So forgetting about the issue of quality, does this mean that at least it is not illegal which is how I would define as "not legit".

How do you check which labels own the copyright or reproduction license ?

So forgetting about the issue of quality, does this mean that at least it is not illegal which is how I would define as "not legit".

For me 'not legit' means it has no direct link back to the master tape, i.e. it is of an entirely unpredictable quality and is exceptionally unlikely to be of the quality of the product from the company that does have the rights and artist's (or estate thereof) permission.

How do you check which labels own the copyright or reproduction license ?

You have to know your onions / do your research. It is usually possible to establish what label any given tracks or period of an artist's catalogue was released on, and from there you find out who owns that copyright today, e.g. if we are talking about Kind Of Blue then that was released on Columbia in the US so that equates to CBS/Sony. I've heard some utterly dreadful sounding examples of these pirates so it really is a case of 'buyer beware'. I hope sites like pfm help folk avoid being ripped-off and I'll admit it's a bit of a soapbox of mine (I won't stock them as I think they are utter crap).

advertisement

Back