advertisement

Bargain Box Sets

basically poor quality pirated CD copies or even vinyl needledrops.

The music equivalent of car boot DVD's. I still have one, given to me over 10 years ago, where someone walks in front of the video camera lens used to copy off screen!

Tony, I was under no illusions as to its legitimacy. It was purely a quantitative value judgement. I'm still impressed. 100!

It's remarkable how cheaply I've been able to get a classical library having only recently taken the plunge.

The Decca Boxes and the Mercury ones are crazy value and I now have an eon of listening to do - all for just over £1 an album.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This is rather good, especially the versions of Gurre-Lieder and Moses und Aron. There are some unusual pieces too. It was my most played music in November.

The cover art is nowt to get excited about though, 12 identical pictures of Pierre looking dapper in a 70's kind of way.

The cover art is nowt to get excited about though, 12 identical pictures of Pierre looking dapper in a 70's kind of way.

Very true. For some reason when I open the box I can't help thinking about the Morecambe and Wise Andre Previn (Mr Preview) 1971 "all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order" sketch.

To me it is still great music though, and one hell of a bargain despite the lack of a booklet and decent artwork.

I try to avoid Amazon these days if possible because of their failure to pay any tax in the UK, and often use the Sainsbury's site. They can be cheaper than Amazon and the service is excellent. Of course the choice is not as extensive.

PS Oh dear! From February 'Sainsbury’s Entertainment to become an entirely on demand website'....

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before but every home should have
Simon & Garfunkel's Collection on their shelves, especially at £18 for all five albums and the Central Park DVD.

The recording sound really fresh - particularly Sound of Silence. There's also a number of bonus demo tracks tacked onto the end of each LP. A steal.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back