advertisement

AVI's new floorstanders and subs or three way in two boxes as it may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that Mescalito!

You are exactly right except that there are hundreds of posts (many removed by mods) that state quite clearly that they better much much more expensive gear.

The record is £30,000, but it was Naim! :(

Ashley, your fanbois are just as capable of hyperbole as any other brand of fanboi.

They are good, but not that good.

Chris

Last time i demo'd the 9's with sub was at Bartletts a few months ago. It took a £3400 Cyrus/Dynaudio system to beat them.

IIRC system was Cyrus Steam-XP/X-Power/PSX-R & Dynaudio F140's

I agree they're good value and always said that! but they do not appeal to people who want more than the next step up from a Richer Sounds or Bose Lifestyle system.

I think that is the root of your problem with them, Spacey. They are the antithesis of the hi-fi hobbyists idea of fun. A real fire & forget system as opposed to one which the owner has to spend many hours fiddling with to get the percieved (and most often imaginary) last 0.001% improvement.

Chris

The 25's now, I'd give them house room when you sell them on. And you know you will :D

But the big 100' and 150's, pure arse.

Ps aren't the ADM 40's cool in the cherry?

I think my ATC coffins are far more attractive than the ADM40's :D
6675470671_6c371516ff_z.jpg

I think that is the root of your problem with them, Spacey. They are the antithesis of the hi-fi hobbyists idea of fun. A real fire & forget system as opposed to one which the owner has to spend many hours fiddling with to get the percieved (and most often imaginary) last 0.001% improvement.

Chris

Chris, the only difference in them and my system is the DAC/Pre isn't built in. I don't fiddle, tweek or look for tiny adjustments. I play music - simples.

Look :)

left.jpg
room.jpg

No I've not heard AVI.

Do I have a dislike for AVI ? not really. I don't really give much of a shit about them to be honest. But I love reading what the deluded old codger writes on forums before pulling it to pieces.

Your multiple posts and venom indicate otherwise.

Just chill dood.

And listen before slating. Odd concept for some I know but...just sayin like...

I think my ATC coffins are far more attractive than the ADM40's :D

Hehe :D

I shall always have VERY fond memories of my times with the 100A's. The whole may well have been better than the sum of the parts back then (all three drivers and the actives crossovers have seen major improvements since my 1993 examples - with solid handles on the amp packs), but they were darned good all the same..

The main criticism of ADM9's has been a certain "smallness" and possible blandness of fine details? I believe. The first thing should be dealt with using a sub, which many-most apparently now go out with and the second one with the latest drivers and crossover revisions just about to go into main production. The 40's have such well received drivers they'd probably do the "filigree detail" thang straight from the off.

By the way, both models have straightforward analogue inputs. set them for best overall gain depending on the external preamp used and you have just what many here are asking for - an analogue version! The chipsets in the digital side cost very little anyway so there'd be little saving in removing them and I VERY much doubt they'd have any affect on the analogue side at all - martin proved he was good at "digital" more than twenty years ago now (the AVI DAC with TDA 1541A chips is sought after now and the early twin PCM63? CD players even better from personal experience...

I'd better shut up and crawl back under my stone before I'm accused of being an AVI shill - heaven forbid :D

Chris, the only difference in them and my system is the DAC/Pre isn't built in. I don't fiddle, tweek or look for tiny adjustments. I play music - simples.

Look :)

left.jpg
room.jpg

I wasn't accusing you of being a tweaker, Spacey. I was making a general comment that ADM9s are not a hobbyist system.

Chris

More than somewhat ironically these AVI products would have sold multiple times on this thread alone had Ash been willing to consider a pro/minimalist audiophile version without the 'lifestyle system' integration DAC / pre frippery. There is unquestionably a market here for such a speaker. What I'd really love to see would be something like the high-end Scanspeak drivers in a beautifully finished ADM9 sized box with a high-end minimalist active amp pack and no gimmicks. I'd happily pay circa £2k-2.5k for that.

Plus one again. And more for the same in ADM40 guise.

Last time i demo'd the 9's with sub was at Bartletts a few months ago. It took a £3400 Cyrus/Dynaudio system to beat them.

IIRC system was Cyrus Steam-XP/X-Power/PSX-R & Dynaudio F140's

Hmmm. Spacey, I'm not Ashley's greatest fan but that's mainly due to his extreme pro Apple views that would have everyone replace their laptop and/or desktop computer with an iPhone and an Apple TV despite better being available elsewhere for less ....... but that's another debate.

When it comes to his speakers I thought exactly the same as many on here when listening to his claims, and whilst those claims may still be a little over enthusiastic at times there is no denying that the speakers make most traditional hifi look (sound!) silly.

I have not heard the combo you speak about above but I would be very surprised if after living with both for a month or so you did not choose the ADMs. My brother owns some and after borrowing his for 2 weeks I wanted active speakers. I ended up with some Mackie HR624's, a speaker Ashley will admit is actually very good, but after doing a head to head the ADMs still proved to be slightly better overall.

The big surprise was that the £700 Mackies were hooked up to the pre-outs of my Yamamha Cinema Amp (total preamp / amp / speaker cost £1050) and they walked all over the Naim / Proac setup that I had before (twice the price).

And if you like listening at high levels that gap gets bigger still. Turn up the ADMs to silly volumes and they remain clear and controlled. Turn up those Dynaudios to the same level and .... bang!

By the way, both models have straightforward analogue inputs. set them for best overall gain depending on the external preamp used and you have just what many here are asking for - an analogue version! The chipsets in the digital side cost very little anyway so there'd be little saving in removing them and I VERY much doubt they'd have any affect on the analogue side at all - martin proved he was good at "digital" more than twenty years ago now (the AVI DAC with TDA 1541A chips is sought after now and the early twin PCM63? CD players even better from personal experience...

This misses at least part of my point. I consider myself to be a green, careful and fairly well informed audio buyer. I try only to buy things I (at least plan) to own for a very long time. Yes, I love the idea of active speakers, as considering the drivers, cabinet, crossover and power amps as a single unit is highly logical, but I'd far prefer to choose a design that has as little built-in obsolescence or unnecessary complexity as possible, especially when it is of no practical use to me. There are certain eggs I do not wish to place in a single basket, and anything to do with digital audio or computing is right at the very top of that list as it's such a moving target. I simply do not want such things in a loudspeaker.

That picture illustrates one of the biggest hurdles for actives. You need a power cord per speaker, as well as a a cable from the data source to the master speaker and another cable from the master speaker to the slave unit. So two cables per speakers instead of one as with passives.

Since AVI are Apple fans, why not integrate an Airport or whatever it's called and stream the data wirelessly, as on the Dynaudio Xeo line?

are they still on the floor?!

They are on concrete slabs with the front of the speakers lifted up an inch with a couple of blocks of some anti vibration material.

I need to find suitable stands(suggestions welcome), but I'm out of work at the moment so will have to make do.
The only stands I've found that might be suitable are sound anchor's. Expensive.

I had scm50's on stands before these, and they sound very similar. These obviously go louder and have more heft, but, even without stands they sound good.

That picture illustrates one of the biggest hurdles for actives. You need a power cord per speaker, as well as a a cable from the data source to the master speaker and another cable from the master speaker to the slave unit. So two cables per speakers instead of one as with passives.

Since AVI are Apple fans, why not integrate an Airport or whatever it's called and stream the data wirelessly, as on the Dynaudio Xeo line?

My actives have two cables and that could be reduced to one if I used a four conductor cable.

mnnI need to find suitable stands(suggestions welcome), but I'm out of work at the moment so will have to make do.
The only stands I've found that might be suitable are sound anchor's. Expensive.

I've had good results with breeze blocks, my daughter has even carpeted them.
Nice modular system you can play around with until it's just right then sort the aesthetics.
You can usually liberate a few from skips if there's any building projects nearby.

I've had good results with breeze blocks, my daughter has even carpeted them.
Nice modular system you can play around with until it's just right then sort the aesthetics.
You can usually liberate a few from skips if there's any building projects nearby.

Yeah, i might look into something like that. They only need to come up about 8 or 9inch's, so the height of one block might be about right.

Cheers
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back