advertisement

AVI's new floorstanders and subs or three way in two boxes as it may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody wants large boxes and most people aren't used to them, so when they hear them, they sound closed in and wrong. You can also hear reflections from the sides.

All you need is a good Smart TV and a Pair of ADMs and your system is complete. I have an Apple TV as well, but modern TVs and 3D BD players stream as does the PS3.

You can get rid of all the old clutter and control everything from an iPad (or android thingy). It's all I do now.

These large boxes are about the size of an 8" standmount -with it's stand. A TV, a Squeezebox, with hidden HTPC, DAC and power amp complete the system. No tweeking, no messing, no clutter and all controlled from an 11.5" laptop which sits next to me on the sofa. I could control it by any number of devices.

These floorstadners are a little bigger than the ADM40, but run down to -3dB at 28Hz, so no sub needed. Two boxes instead of three, and the bass is true stereo.

IMG_1683.JPG

But it's a big room.

If you want a closer look at the system, look here

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1669299#post1669299

Thats what gets me about all the foo regarding smaller standmounts; once on a stand they don't take up anymore space than a modern floorstander (see pic above :))... but you'd need to add a sub to the 'little'uns' to get the same performance - whats the point, more clutter!!

I seem to manage ok with my big speakers, no box boom from them, but then they aren't made from flat sheets in an attempt to cut costs to the absolute bone like the AVI stuff obviously is.

I even manage to squeeze two dacs into my set-up and a PC source, so I'm bang up to date. Of course the Tv lives in another room entirely- as it bloody well should in any self respecting music lovers house.

Plus you'd need to run multiple lengthy digital and analogue interconnects across the floor to the speaker with the inputs on the back, e.g. from your phono stage, tuner, computer, Skybox or whatever, all; of which may not be anywhere near the speaker. Maybe one day someone will invent a neat little box that could be placed on a shelf that could take lots of line inputs and switch them to to a user-variable output? We could call it, for want of a better word, a 'pre-amp'. I can see a big market for them.

Everything but your computer is a legacy source and real-world customers don't have those anymore. Get with the program!

Uh-oh, I just remembered - real-world AVi customers may have a computer, a Skybox and an Ipod dock. Hmmm ... a few more cables going to one of the speakers could disturb domestic harmony ... nah, the speakers stand next to the big-screen TV anyway, so the cables will be hidden by whatever table the TV sits on. Phew.

But wait, that will be true for the little ones, but AVI now want to sell an aspirational product which may appeal to people who have heard that putting speakers right next to large reflecting surfaces can make them sound ... bright (good thing no-one's ever said that about the existing product) and confused.

Oh the conundrum ...

ADM40's are not big speakers, they have an internal volume of just 18L. The rest is all to hide the electronics, which must be substantial considering the external dimensions.

. . . they don't take up anymore space than a modern floorstander (see pic above :)) . . .

<cough> The MB Quarts (see pic above) are over 25 years old; but, at the time and on the German market where I bought them they were market leaders.

They are very fine pieces of furniture and still give me much pleasure.

I agree with Dave Rance - a loudspeaker should not bling-bling but hide - visually and acoustically. On that score I have no issue with AVIs styling. I just wish the active studio monitors that are very similar in concept had such grown up taste, and came with optional grills.

But Spacy also is right - my floorstanders dont take up any more space than a moderately sized standmount.

You can see the top elevation here, in the bottom right corner of the picture.

IMG_1685.JPG

Absolute crock! Show me proof?

That would be a 252/300&PSU/CDS3-XPS2/Ovator 600's kind of ball park, and still have change.

Well if you analyse that system, all but the Ovator 600s can be replaced by Cambridge Audio (or NAD if you like) products from Richer Sounds and the sounds emanating from the Ovators would be pretty much unchanged. Don't misunderstand me, its all lovely looking and superbly built kit, but there are no sonic advantaged to owning it over CA, NAD or Marantz.

The Ovator has strong performance characteristics, the rest doesn't.

What people forget when looking at a product such as the ADM9x is that the electronics are designed to be good enough for the job. Splashing £20k on 'better' electronics won't make them sound any better. That's the key to the value.

To pick up on Tony's point earlier, a super tweaked audiophile ADM with 'better' amps and crossover would likely drive a few more sales from forumites, but they'll be paying more money for a product which sounds no better than the standard version. Granted, Ash will likely sell a few boxes to members here, but this isn't his market and to target it would smack of compromising principles.

When will folk realise that the ADM is a high quality mainstream product, and that pfm (and many other audiophile forums) do not represent the mainstream.
I think Ash could have done a better job of promoting the product here without doubt, but it was never going to fit for reasons I've been over before.

Rob,

When will folk realise that the ADM is a high quality mainstream product, and that pfm (and many other audiophile forums) do not represent the mainstream.
I think most people here realized exactly that the first time Ash posted. And I'd argue that most of the rows over AVI stem from a few very vocal ADM enthusiasts not understanding what pfm is about.

Joe

Spacey

The bloke who spent the £30,000 on Naim has joined the AVI Club on Facebook, so if you wanted to check, you could join and ask him.

Some bloke turned up to today and gave me a book called the A List of Fallacious Arguments. He's peeing himself with laughter at this enlightened discussion and thought it might help me to contribute better.

Ash

Rob,

I think most people here realized exactly that the first time Ash posted. And I'd argue that most of the rows over AVI stem from a few very vocal ADM enthusiasts not understanding what pfm is about.

Joe

Me included!

Spacey

The bloke who spent the £30,000 on Naim has joined the AVI Club on Facebook, so if you wanted to check, you could join and ask him.

Some bloke turned up to today and gave me a book called the A List of Fallacious Arguments. He's peeing himself with laughter at this enlightened discussion and thought it might help me to contribute better.

Ash

Or simply some tena lady, then, when he hears a proper system AVi's nu'groupie's ready for when he shits himself.... Your statement is nothing more than worthless, you've not provided any evidence of who this person is..............The only way a pair of ADM9's could've sounded better is if he'd forgot to plug his £30K Naim system into the mains, or fogotten how to use it after having a lobotomy. :p

I think Ash could have done a better job of promoting the product here without doubt, but it was never going to fit for reasons I've been over before.

Sorry Rob but your wrong, They were easily bettered (including the sub) by a £3400 passive Cyrus/Dynaudio system. The 9's have some serious flaws and are mediocre domestic actives at best. They are not special - IMO. I've tried them 3 times now, each time i was ready to buy (for my 11 year old daughter, a birthday present) and i left thinking that just didn't sound like a £2K system.

Ash,

Me included!
I hope you now understand that this is a Star Trek/Buffy chat forum, with a bit of audio thrown in to keep the content fresh and exciting.

Joe

Sorry Rob but your wrong, They were easily bettered (including the sub) by a £3400 passive Cyrus/Dynaudio system. The 9's have some serious flaws and are mediocre domestic actives at best. They are not special - IMO. I've tried them 3 times now, each time i was ready to buy (for my 11 year old daughter, a birthday present) and i left thinking that just didn't sound like a £2K system.

i don't agree with this....the speakettes are in the top 10% of active monitors at about £1200/£1500 easily maybe higher.....i think you are being unfair on them.

they don't get close to 3 way active atc's though.

It has to be pointed out that ATC have changed/improved their midrange dome since that ZeroGain discussion. Current measurements show it to be free from the distortion spike that was said to blemish its performance.

I need to qualify this as I may have misunderstood a remark by the source of the above information. It appears the ATC midrange dome design was not changed since 2006 (when the ZG discussion I alluded to above started) but that production methods were improved, and that this resulted in improved sound. I don't actually know if the 4.5 kHz resonance that was mentioned on ZG was influenced by this or not.

However, when I look at distortion measurements of ATC 3-way speakers, I don't see anything at 4.5 kHz, so if the resonance still exists, it seems to be made irrelevant by the crossover.

My thanks to darrenyeats for pointing out that my initial comment may have been misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back