advertisement

AVI's new floorstanders and subs or three way in two boxes as it may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the plinths. they remind me of Proac

It's the general so average 3ft tall thin typical floorstander that bothers me.

They lack a lust factor. They just look dull. Maybe in a different wood finish I might change my mind but if I'd seen them in a store I'd probably think they'd be around the £300-500 mark. Quad 21L look more expensive and they're £600ish ?
So those amp packs cost what , £1200 each.. you can buy PMC/Bryston amp packs for less.

arthur, you do know Ashley won't give you any discount, no matter how nice you are about his speakers ... :D

ATC SCM speakers have no style therefore are ubber stylish.

How can anyone decide to part with the thick end of 6 grand when there is no easily accessible demo, no home trials, and not even a clue to the following:
1. RMS power of amplifiers
2. DAC spec (sampling rates, bit depth)
3. Does the DAC slave to the incoming clock, or is it always the master with a fixed sample rate?
4. Frequency response of system. So far, only "-6dB @ 47Hz", which is 1/4 the power of the referecne frequency.
5. Noise figures of digital and analogue inputs
6. Frequency response of analogue input
etc. etc. Considering that AVI are the "kings of objectivism/measurements", they are expecting potential customers to take a rather large punt on this.
I'll pass I think. At least until some data is available and I've heard a pair in a realistic environment, instead of the organised glorification from the visitors from the AVI cult/forum.
Cheers,
Mort

arthur, you do know Ashley won't give you any discount, no matter how nice you are about his speakers ... :D

ATC SCM speakers have no style therefore are ubber stylish.

The 25's now, I'd give them house room when you sell them on. And you know you will :D

But the big 100' and 150's, pure arse.

Ps aren't the ADM 40's cool in the cherry?

How can anyone decide to part with the thick end of 6 grand when there is no easily accessible demo, no home trials, and not even a clue to the following:
1. RMS power of amplifiers
2. DAC spec (sampling rates, bit depth)
3. Does the DAC slave to the incoming clock, or is it always the master with a fixed sample rate?
4. Frequency response of system. So far, only "-6dB @ 47Hz", which is 1/4 the power of the referecne frequency.
5. Noise figures of digital and analogue inputs
6. Frequency response of analogue input
etc. etc. Considering that AVI are the "kings of objectivism/measurements", they are expecting potential customers to take a rather large punt on this.
I'll pass I think. At least until some data is available and I've heard a pair in a realistic environment, instead of the organised glorification from the visitors from the AVI cult/forum.
Cheers,
Mort

It doesn't matter. They're only going to sell to the same people who bought the ADM9s. I bet ebay is full of them the moment the 40s are released..

Then the next AVI move will how they've bent the laws of physics and managed to make a 3-way which sounds even better than their previously best speaker. Rinse and repeat

It doesn't matter. They're only going to sell to the same people who bought the ADM9s. I bet ebay is full of them the moment the 40s are released..

Then the next AVI move will how they've bent the laws of physics and managed to make a 3-way which sounds even better than their previously best speaker. Rinse and repeat

AVI threads dumped on by people who've never owned or heard an AVI speaker :rolleyes:

Rinse and repeat.

And repeat

And repeat...

AVI threads dumped on by people who've never owned or heard an AVI speaker :rolleyes:

Rinse and repeat.

And repeat

And repeat...

They make very good loudspeakers.
I've owned Neutrons and thought them very good, and heard ADM9s which were also fine. Not quite the last loudspeaker system you'd ever buy as was sometimes implied, but very good nonetheless.

I'm sure the 40 will also be excellent. Martin Grindrod knows how to make a very good loudspeaker, and his amplifiers have also been excellent performers.

Of course we could do with more transparency over the specs and measurements, and there is too much spin at times for sure. But put that alongside the meaningless twaddle which inflates many audio threads and suddenly it doesn't seem so bad after all :D

Good luck to them.

They look....what's the word....ah yes: Legacy.
Same as everyone else's 2 way box. If these truly are the future and saviour, they should come with hoverboard plinths and jetboot ports

They make very good loudspeakers.
I've owned Neutrons and thought them very good, and heard ADM9s which were also fine. Not quite the last loudspeaker system you'd ever buy as was sometimes implied, but very good nonetheless.

I'm sure the 40 will also be excellent. Martin Grindrod knows how to make a very good loudspeaker, and his amplifiers have also been excellent performers.

Of course we could do with more transparency over the specs and measurements, and there is too much spin at times for sure. But put that alongside the meaningless twaddle which inflates many audio threads and suddenly it doesn't seem so bad after all :D

Good luck to them.

:D Indeed Rob.

Everything I've owned by AVI has been top notch. And this is an excellent internet resource for them; so long may the haters continue.

As for the twaddle, it is nothing but eye-poppingly extraordinary.

I remember you saying Raj, I was referring, with that post, to marc303.

What do you think of these then?

http://www.avihifi.eu/WebRoot/Store.../E611/FE3C/1782/849A/C0A8/29B9/24C3/adm40.jpg

No I've not heard AVI. When I was in the market for new speakers about a year ago I mistakenly joined HDD forum thinking it was a hi fi forum for people who mainly use computers as sources with active speakers..
When the collective AVI cult realised they couldn't brainwash me into buying ADM9s blind, their head honcho told me he wouldn't sell me them anyway. He then continued as usual to spout his complete bullshit , contradicting himself many times in the process, about why I was making a huge mistake looking for a 3-way active speaker and not a 2-way and sub, all backed up by the collective drones he has there. It was borderline internet bullying and an insult to my intelligence.

Do I have a dislike for AVI ? not really. I don't really give much of a shit about them to be honest. But I love reading what the deluded old codger writes on forums before pulling it to pieces.

<moderating>

I've no objections to people expressing opinion or picking apart product claims etc, but please can we steer clear of the personal insult / name-calling etc. It's just not required.

The bottom line for me is this - Martin Grindrod is an accomplished electronics designer and has done some excellent products over the years which have generally shown themselves to be reliable and consistent ("the" CD player aside and that was a mechanical issue and early S2000 failures were usually transformers I recall).

Where speakers are concerned, AVI could be accused of taking too much of a "measurement rules" approach. However, this approach never stopped the likes of Quad and Radford making some wonderful products in the past.

In this case, and like the above revered manufacturers of old, AVI tried baffle-step and found the pros of NOT using it outweighed the possibly slightly leaner tones thus produced. As it is, the response as specified for the ADM9 (within +/- 2db from 80 - 20k+) is still a good result and enables the speakers to be used close to walls, as often found in UK domestic environments. I believe the ADM40 has an 18L enclosuer contained within the carcass as a whole. Increasing this volume to the 42L apparently suggested as the max for this driver may well mess up the bass and future sub integration for all I know.

As for the amps, there has been some "spin" produced on the specs IMO (and Ash and I have clashed most vociferously on this aspect of the ADM9 "promotion" as he will attest to), but the end result is that there is a pretty honest claim of 108db continuous across the bandwidth, so whatever the "actual" continuous rating of the internal amps really is, they seem to do the job ok without drawing huge attention to themselves.

The DAC CHIPS may well all measure the same, but obviously it's the analogue stage after which can change things, together with the supply, as I've found regarding the ubiquitous and humble 5532 Op Amp so often used. get the bloody supply wrong/inadequate even for this and you can easily hear the result I've found. Ash types the way he speaks - rapid fire - and maybe the exact meaning doesn't come across. Both models have analogue inputs for those who wish to use an external preamp able to drive the long interconnects needed, bypassing the digital inputs. Optical was recommended for AVI's because Ash suggested that some computers put all sorts out of their electrical connections, not just the digits needed, and an optical connection electrically isolates one from t'other...

So, doing speakers AVI's way tends to throw all response and final listening demands on the drivers used, rather than any "antsy-art" in crossover design-tuning, especially with their now discontinued passive models. I currently have some Pro Nines which I just cannot currently get on with, so lean is their presentation. I previously had some N5's which were, to me, even worse (like refined Kans IMO). I did however, like the Neutron 4's and ancestors very much and should add that the removal of "baffle step" was probably carried out on the old Positron floor-stander they did back in the 90's. They could get away with this because the main driver was so well behaved. I personally prefer the current "BBC derived" way of doing things, finding the artfully tweaked Harbeth range very much to my liking, although I appreciate that ADM lovers may not like the fuller presentation. What I DON'T agree with is the accusation that ALL passive speakers boom and that the warmth of the current Harbeth range is all distortion (it most certainly isn't IMO).

One of the driver reviews linked to from early in this thread was of a descendant of the Vifa wood-chip coned unit used in the Pro-Nine and IIRC, much of their findings are audible to a slight extent. The units used in the ADM40 must have made Martin's job far easier, since they appear to be excellent in their own right, needing just basic and sensible LR crossover slopes to work properly together.

Finally the cabinets - the fact that they look bland to some is probably the best thing they could be, since they're not intended to shout how wonderful the owner is with his latest bling-box. They'll just sit in the room, doing their job, and hopefully for many years, without ever really drawing attention to themselves, as a multi box alternative would. -7db at 47Hz is enough extension for most people I think.

I don't agree with the exaggerated spin put on these products, but neither do I like to see the personal attacks either. None of this ever does the actual designer any favours. A shame in a way that he tends to avoid forums - sensible chap :D

As for me, I'll stick with me piles of vintage boxes and smile at those lusting over ATC actives. been there, done it and am still happy with what I have currently. The owner of the 100A's I once owned and loved passed away a few weeks ago, so I doubt I'll ever hear them again now.....

P.S. Why am I doing this? I just don't like to see otherwise good products run down just because some individuals have "issues" with Ashley, that's all... At least the drivers on the 40's should be available for many years to come with any luck since they're offered to all and not just custom ones.

If you're interested in the Scan Speak Illuminator in a standmounter, here are two kits, both with the beryllium tweeter, the first in a closed box

nada.jpg

blurb via google translate:
A s part of the compact box-Specials (Klang + Ton 4/2011) was to create a high-end project with high-quality chassis. Holger Barske Christian Gather and chose this from the Danish manufacturer ScanSpeak Illuminator the series.

The tweeter is the beryllium tweeter diaphragm D3004/664000 used, the bass is provided by the 18WU-4741T00.

The case is closed, thus obtaining very low bass frequencies, as if the box was equipped with a larger volume and two back to back mounted HP70. But high-end speakers do not have to be deep bass masters. Especially in small spaces deep bass often causes problems, which man perceives as a rumble. Seen in the closed housing is a very appropriate choice of sound and sound editors.

The case is made with 38 mm thick oak front flap. Without loss of sound can also glue two 19 mm MDF boards together. Inside the box stainless steel screws are tightened to stabilize opposite walls. This also works with MDF boards, if not stainless steel screws are available.

The crossover consists of a 18 dB / octave high pass in front of the tweeter. In series with the woofer is a coil in parallel a series resonant circuit and an impedance correction circuit (LC).

The frequency response is flat, going from a slight dip in the midrange apart. The nonlinear distortion is very low, the decay constants is excellent.

An excerpt from the Klang + Ton review

... "This dome solves incredibly on well, following each signal to the smallest branches, plays sound purely incomprehensible, and remains so metal uncharacteristically gentle that you would like to buy directly or a couple. No question, this tweeter marks the currently feasible. In this level playing only the best films, and even with these, the Dane lays smoothly with its vast broadband and very low distortion, if you have your whole life long been in search of the ultimate dome.! your very next stop: the bass range is the accuracy. how I was in the choice of the closed housing envisaged. powerful, contoured dry, well acoustically transparent and free from self-imposed additions to the music signal also dynamically reached the 18er out very neatly, by the lower slope-drive were strongly and is easily adapted to the limit of its lifting capability. Thanks to the optimized drive, it remains very low distortion, so that must be heard with this box is almost out loud. How loud sounds you fall, but only if you go for a coffee and tap in after two minutes of rest the back listening room is. There then raging bear, and you ask yourself seriously whether in between was a right-handed mate with mischief there, or whether one is really responsible for this volume. In the same vein as the ends meet, the center of the frequency spectrum : uncompromising resolution, excellent speech intelligibility and details galore draw from the fact that Nada is merely a Zweiwegler at work here occurs entirely in the background, this box set in all frequency ranges to the point ".. ...

parts and crossover run to around 1,500 quid

or from the German Scan Speak importer in bass reflex form

Illu18_klein.jpg

who says that the cloth version of the tweeter works practically as well and costs significantly less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back