advertisement

Audiophiles and Snake Oil...

Because they can actually hear a difference.

But i dont understand, why is the green pen or any other previous trail relevant. that's like saying the same answer to everything is 'fish'
Hi,
It is because of the glaring contradiction.

The CD green pen was shown to make a difference to the bit error of the data stream, people thought they could hear a difference, yet now, CD green pens are labelled as foo, and we do not see the claims of people using them.

The fanciful power cables, special fuses, isolating pads on equipment, special shelves, or exotic speaker cables etc. have no basis in science, yet people claim they hear differences.

So we have something that has been shown to make a difference (CD green pens) that audio people regard as foo, and we have products that make no difference (only marketing claims) and audio people believe it.

Is it possible that if something is marketed, then there will be enough gullibles to believe the inferred claims and who act with group self delusion, and if something is not marketed (CD green pen) that people forget that it can make a difference and then later regard it as foo ?

There is only so much you can charge for a green pen, but when it comes to cables, fuses, equipment shelves, isolation pads etc., with all their various slight differences across the product range, then you can charge an awful lot of money for them for very little capital investment.

Regards,
Shadders.

Agreed, no need to be gullible. But that doesn’t mean it’s all black and white. Differences that can not be exactly explained do truly exist.

The problem with green pens is it’s difficult to market magic ink. Cables, largely unseen innards; you can market what the hell you like, and make them look pretty, or serious, or whatever.

My green pen still works! (As in produces a green liquid).

I saw the claim for reduced bit error but no proof of it, even back then, the opposite was true as regards BLER. I also vaguely remember some graphs showing tiny jitter reductions, but no proof of audibility.

If it worked cds would have green edges.

I recall at least one CD player that used a blue LED to bathe its CD bay with blue light (YBA I think) and another that did the same with green (that might even have been Naim).

Actually, now I engage my memory, I think Naim claimed to use a finish inside the CD playing bay that reduced/stopped reflected light.

Not your best analogy, since a circle and a sphere will be told apart by anyone with functioning binocular vision.
Well, that may depend on the lighting, the distance, the colour, whether it is moving or stationary and, if moving, how quickly perhaps? Things that might be thought of as second order factors, but which may directly affect the perception of the object. So, not unlike noise, phase relationships, timing, perhaps, in an audio signal.

Well yes, Brexit threads are Off Topic's equivalent of cable threads. To be fair, I don't think many participants seriously expect to convert their opponents, but perhaps a little mutual understanding may be achieved?

advertisement

Back