advertisement

Audiolab 9000 CDT users feedback

Good deal!

Looks superb in that finish!

It's not that great. Primare isn't that popular in the UK for some reason. Used values are not great. Nintronics have an ex dem for a £1395 and I'm sure they'd do a deal. Plus you'd get a proper warranty. I tried a DD35 and it just wasn't very good. I had a 6000CDT on hand at the time, which I marginally preferred on a sq basis. The Primare was a much nicer 'thing' though. Both pale next to a Moon 260DT. For a great performing budget CD transport then take a look at the Tascam CD 200. I think that might well use the same mechanism at the Audiolab?

Haven't tried a 9000 myself, but I'd fully expect it to better a DD35. If you buy a 9000 from Richer you get a 6 year warranty as standard. No contest against a used 3 year old DD35 with no warranty, for less money, imo.

I don't know if your have already upgraded your Pontus 2 to the 1.4 code but the bass presentation has substantially improved via my CDT 9000. It is quite something

ah thats interesting . the primare remote looks a lot better than the moon . be interesting to compare the primare against it . certainly loads of primare at cranage yesterday

Another transport has just arrived from Cambridge Audio. The Evo CD at £1000.
An alternative to the 9000cdt no doubt.

As far as I can see that can only be used with other Cambridge. Seems like an odd decision, maybe a more universal transport is in the pipeline.

Still mystified by the marketing strategy of offering a range of transports followed by various manufacturers, Audiolab, Project, and now apparently Cambridge for example, given what must be a relatively tiny niche market for the devices. Are they simply playing on our upgraditis? Do the players in a range differ by so little that it costs very little to manufacture a range?

Yeah, it’s a niche within a niche if the transport only plugs into two products, a la Cambridge.

Still mystified by the marketing strategy of offering a range of transports followed by various manufacturers, Audiolab, Project, and now apparently Cambridge for example, given what must be a relatively tiny niche market for the devices. Are they simply playing on our upgraditis? Do the players in a range differ by so little that it costs very little to manufacture a range?
cd is still big in some markets , marantz keep bringing out stuff for a good reason

I'm now selling my Melco and going back to cd's.

I've done everything to get rips to be better but even going back to a 20 year old basic Sony dvd has proven to me that spinning the discs still gives significantly better sound. Now pulling the plug on a Primare or Audiolab.

So glad I continued to buy cd's.

Im very interested in the DD35 but hardly any info anywhere.

Cd's are definitely gaining ground again, at least with me!

Annoyingly, like on the 9000CDT, the DD35 one has coaxial rca output (never cared for toslink)... the problem is that at €2300 euros it should at least have a AES/EBU output.

Annoyingly, like on the 9000CDT, the DD35 one has coaxial rca output (never cared for toslink)... the problem is that at €2300 euros it should at least have a AES/EBU output.
Agreed. The Pro-Ject RS2T does but I can’t get passed it's looks.

Lack of dedicated control buttons and a decent selection of outputs (BNC, AES/EBU and I2S) make it a fail for me.

I still really like my Jay's Audio CDT2 mk3, connected via I2S-over-HDMI to my Venus II. I can't really fault the combo, although the Jay's is a large top-loader and means I have to have a dual rack arrangement. I'm considering selling it, depending on whether the DMP-A6-into-VII closes the gap enough. But I still like the routine of cueing up a disc, and the fact that I invariably don't flip between tracks (it has a remote but I try not to use it).

it's a nice dilemma to have :)

Agreed. The Pro-Ject RS2T does but I can’t get passed it's looks.
It should sound great but I can’t get passed it’s mini size and the high price.

Lack of dedicated control buttons and a decent selection of outputs (BNC, AES/EBU and I2S) make it a fail for me.
That mirrors my initial thoughts, and the lack of the STOP button it is the only real flaw... but the sound is really amazing, a the price is more than right.
...the performance I am getting out off the coaxial output (with the Audioquest Video Z) makes me forget my preference for the AES/EBU. Still, I wish I had a Kimber D-60 illuminati coaxial cable...

Quick technical question
https://www.audiolab.co.uk/9000cdt/
the cdt9000 digital output is stated at

500 +/-50mVpp

having to temporarily use a marantz 6007 as a transport at the moment and the specs say the digital output

https://manuals.marantz.com/cd6007/eu/en/OBAOSYqwgclbuv.php

is 0.5 Vp-p / 75 Ω/ohms

thick question , does that mean the marantz output is less because running it into my dac/pre means i have to turn the vol knob pretty high to achieve higher volumes
no point buying the cdt 9000 if its output not enough

advertisement

Back