advertisement

Audiolab 9000 CDT users feedback

naka

pfm Member
A couple of months after the 9000 CDT launch there isn’t any reviews on it... I wonder why, since it appears to be a high performance CD transport, although it has only a coaxial SPDIF

Does anyone care to share any thoughts or experiences?

1685473927052-png.123611

I have one. I use it as a basis for my headphone system. It plays into a Chord Hugo tt2.
Interconnect cable by Mark Grant.
I wanted a tray loader or top loader and it seems to work quietly and seamlessly with the aid of the remote.
The sound I suppose is controlled by the dac but the eventual balance through the Empyreans seems warm,relaxed and not overly analytical. The front screen can be turned off but I like the whirling cd image and Hugo’s coloured balls.So shallow!
Well constructed and neat.
I thought about jays audio cd but that was about a further £1000. more at the time.
After 6 months still pleased with the purchase

after watching that youtube video blind testing from Harley [ pearl acoustics ] one gets the impression many transports sound the same

the audiophile man has to justify his wages i guess and mentioned this when compared to a heed transport

The Heed offered the better bass response in absolute terms but, like earlier models, the 9000CDT provided the better tonal balance. So the 9000CDT bass was here in abundance. The 9000CDT is certainly not bass light. There’s plenty here in the lower frequencies but the bass integrates itself into the mids and treble very well indeed so that that each frequency type easily slots into each other.

certainly is very tempting to try one

after watching that youtube video blind testing from Harley [ pearl acoustics ] one gets the impression many transports sound the same

the audiophile man has to justify his wages i guess and mentioned this when compared to a heed transport

The Heed offered the better bass response in absolute terms but, like earlier models, the 9000CDT provided the better tonal balance. So the 9000CDT bass was here in abundance. The 9000CDT is certainly not bass light. There’s plenty here in the lower frequencies but the bass integrates itself into the mids and treble very well indeed so that that each frequency type easily slots into each other.

certainly is very tempting to try one

As an Audiolab amplifier user that pretty much sums up the current Audiolab sound. Superbly balanced.

ah . didnt see that . does this 9000 have any drive noise ?

the problem with buying one is selling your old cd player ... they are not easy to sell

I have one. I use it as a basis for my headphone system. It plays into a Chord Hugo tt2.
Interconnect cable by Mark Grant.
I wanted a tray loader or top loader and it seems to work quietly and seamlessly with the aid of the remote.
The sound I suppose is controlled by the dac but the eventual balance through the Empyreans seems warm,relaxed and not overly analytical. The front screen can be turned off but I like the whirling cd image and Hugo’s coloured balls.So shallow!
Well constructed and neat.
I thought about jays audio cd but that was about a further £1000. more at the time.
After 6 months still pleased with the purchase

Thanks for sharing.

Because I have a large CD collection (+5000 and still growing) I also thought about the Jay’s Audio but still it is too much money, even if I have a Denafrips Pontus II and could take advantage from the I2S connection.

The Atoll DR200 Signature is the other contender: it uses the same TEAC cd drive as the 9000CDT and has a AES/EBU output.

My current CD transport is the very competent Cambridge CXC but I want better :)

I've had mine for a couple of months now, previously using a Marantz CD6005 as a transport into a Qutest. The Audiolab really does sound better despite the "all transports sound the same" brigade. Much better sound stage and sense of depth. Really happy with it and will probably use it until it breaks.

I've had mine for a couple of months now, previously using a Marantz CD6005 as a transport into a Qutest. The Audiolab really does sound better despite the "all transports sound the same" brigade. Much better sound stage and sense of depth. Really happy with it and will probably use it until it breaks.

The lack of play / stop / next track on the front fascia looks really annoying to me

I'm using one with a Chord TT2. Use rather old Chord Reference digital ic. The red double barrelled one.
Absolutely superb pair , and so they should be of course. Got the 9000 new but out box unit big discount from a local dealer. 5 year warranty included.
Both replaced a much loved Cds3 I'd had for many years.
Playing now. Into a Nac52 , Chord 1200c, Dynaudio Evoke 30s. So good. No thoughts of an Mscaler. No need. Maybe in a year or three.
Only issue is that digital phono out socket on the Audiolab is not a more robust high quality one. Thats disappointing. The Chord Ic is a pretty hefty thing.

Last edited:
I have the Audiolab 7000 CD transport and equally no reviews ..a lot cheaper but so far I am really pleased with mine .. assuming the 9000 CD transport is better.

I'm using one with a Chord TT2. Use rather old Chord Reference digital ic. The red double barrelled one.
Absolutely superb pair , and so they should be of course. Got the 9000 new but out box unit big discount from a local dealer. 5 year warranty included.
Both replaced a much loved Cds3 I'd had for many years.
Playing now. Into a Nac52 , Chord 1200c, Dynaudio Evoke 30s. So good. No thoughts of an Mscaler. No need. Maybe in a year or three.
Only issue is that digital phono out socket on the Audiolab is not a more robust high quality one. Thats disappointing. The Chord Ic is a pretty hefty thing.

Yes, I agreed. A high quality rca plug is so cheap to implement and helps a lot with heavier cables. Why choose otherwise?

Well, it is done: just ordered a black 9000CDT without testing it. A special offer of tax free made me jump to the purchase. It was an substantial 18% cut from the retail price.
Let’s hope that:
1 - it is significantly better than the CXC
2 - works flawlessly
3 - I like the display and commands

The decision came after much investigation about it, and (although it was made to be the natural partner to the 9000 series integrated amp) it appears to be a carefully done component, made to extract the best from CD at a reasonable price point. The TEAC audio drive and the build quality were also strong point in favor.

But the Atoll DR200 Signature could also been the one...

"Listening to the gloriously bonkers Future Sound of the UK 3; easily the best Ministry of Sound CD ever released and one I’ve never got around to ripping, with the CDT running into the reference Chord duo, the performance is utterly outstanding. The CDT looks and feels and behaves at a level that would allow it to rub shoulders with pricier components than the 7000A and be completely at home" AVforum

That's why it's a short review :D.

advertisement

Back