advertisement

Audiolab 9000 CDT users feedback

Well, it is done: just ordered a black 9000CDT without testing it. A special offer of tax free made me jump to the purchase. It was an substantial 18% cut from the retail price.
Let’s hope that:
1 - it is significantly better than the CXC
2 - works flawlessly
3 - I like the display and commands

The decision came after much investigation about it, and (although it was made to be the natural partner to the 9000 series integrated amp) it appears to be a carefully done component, made to extract the best from CD at a reasonable price point. The TEAC audio drive and the build quality were also strong point in favor.

But the Atoll DR200 Signature could also been the one...

Enjoy, Audiolab seem to have their digital products very well sorted.

I did hear an Atoll based system recently and thought it was amazing, never heard them before but was very impressed. Very engaging

Atoll gear is not on the radar much here in the UK which is a shame. I have the IN300 amp which really is a magnificent piece of kit. When I can get round to it I plan on have a listen to their cd players.

Atoll gear is not on the radar much here in the UK which is a shame. I have the IN300 amp which really is a magnificent piece of kit. When I can get round to it I plan on have a listen to their cd players.

They have a new distributor apparently which should help that situation.

I heard the IN100 Signature and matching CD player and thought it sounded very engaging, I preferred it to the Rega Saturn / Elicit combo that was also being tried, which is already a great combo.

Last edited:
The 9000CDT arrived on Friday but just opened yesterday in the evening.

As for first impressions, my mind usually is set on the minus points of a audio component and are most about user experience:
- the packaging is only ok, as could be a little more robust with thicker foam protection foam.
- the remote is light, with a cheap plastic on the bottom part. It will not survive from too much drops. The Cambridge CXC for example has a much better built remote. The labeling on the keys is poor (for my aging eyes) and the overall feeling not great.
- the display... well it really could be much better. I really don’t care about the animation aspect of displays on audiophile products. The lower dimmed setting is still too bright and the time information could be much bigger, and the disc picture is totally irrelevant. In fact Audiolab could offer various options of display arrangements and we could choose from the menu. There is a “turn off” option and that is the good thing about it. This is not a display for audiophiles but for the lifestyle users.

And then I put a CD in:
Amazing feel of the drawer movement (thanks TEAC) and all is very quiet an robust, so in the end, still considering the minus mentioned above (that could be corrected) it is really impressive for this price point... especially when I also got a special weekend 18% discount on the price of all sealed units, which resulted in a 1070 euros affair. Great price.
As for the sound... I will take some time to do all comparisons, so stay tuned :)

Oh, and there is not a STOP button or function on the front plate...just only on the remote!!! This is just stupid.
If the 9000CDT user interface can be improved by firmware upgrade, then do it asap, and do it right... please :)

Yup. No stop button. Ridiculous. That and the average cheapo phono digital out socket.
I got the display on auto off after 30 seconds.
On the upside the 9000cdt and Chord tt2 together sound fantastic. And so they should really.
So overall, well happy here.

How is it on hybrid SACD Discs? It was either here or the SH forum that I read the new 7000CDT can’t play the cd layer of hybrid SACD's

First impressions on sound quality:
- more detail and separation
- better soundstage, greater depth
- much more “meat on the bones” on vocals and instruments
- more natural sound with a sense of improved timing
- huge natural bass
- superb balance and clarity, the voices standout from the mix in a total engaging way, with their own tridimensional space.

This is exactly (or more) than I expected, a real improvement over the CXC. The build is very good, the price is right, and the minus aspects can be solved with a firmware update.
Very highly recommended.

The idea that bits are bits and some low budget dvd player is enough is to me totally wrong. The CXC is very competent (for the original price) but the 9000 CDT shows that a superior machine can perform better, “extracting” more from the discs and serving the DAC with more fidelity to the signal.

Note: comparing with the Cambridge CXC, using the amazing Opera-Consonance Audio DAC16 (TDA1543) dac connected with an Audioquest Video Z digital cable.

In a few weeks, I will move to the Denafrips Pontus II

Another day only to increase my satisfaction regarding the 9000CDT:
- the way it digs the bass lines from the CDs is unreal
- so much more presence from voices, especially on recordings of live events
- amazing balance
- here we have that palpable quality to the sound picture that was missed from the early days of CDs
- increased sense of fatigue free listening

This makes me think that probably more advanced CD transports can be offered, since the DACs evolution is now well documented... said he, while listening to a TDA1543 based DAC :)

The CXC, while competent, has a very opaque sound... and a bit boring, not for serious listening...

For the longest time I was using an Arcam DV29 for playing my CDs after my arcam CD23 died and it did not let me down. I did get a musical fidelty M6 cd when money allowed and when I sold all my hifi due to funding a wedding the DV29 remained. I recently got the 9000cdt and it is excellent like you say. i do like the size of the display but the layout is not exactlly great. I felt the packaging was fine for the cost of the unit compared to other uk based brands but its not a patch on some other brands. The remote is basic. functions are there but it is cheap feeling. same remote comes with the 9000a. Basic IAG clone. I got my wife the Leak 230 amp last moth and guess what. yep same remote pretty much just leak not Audiolab

The CXC is really good for the money, so do you want to spend more money? If not, enjoy the CXC.

For the longest time I was using an Arcam DV29 for playing my CDs after my arcam CD23 died and it did not let me down. I did get a musical fidelty M6 cd when money allowed and when I sold all my hifi due to funding a wedding the DV29 remained. I recently got the 9000cdt and it is excellent like you say. i do like the size of the display but the layout is not exactlly great. I felt the packaging was fine for the cost of the unit compared to other uk based brands but its not a patch on some other brands. The remote is basic. functions are there but it is cheap feeling. same remote comes with the 9000a. Basic IAG clone. I got my wife the Leak 230 amp last moth and guess what. yep same remote pretty much just leak not Audiolab

It is the same remote from the 6000 series too.

The 9000CDT arrived on Friday but just opened yesterday in the evening.

As for first impressions, my mind usually is set on the minus points of a audio component and are most about user experience:
- the packaging is only ok, as could be a little more robust with thicker foam protection foam.
- the remote is light, with a cheap plastic on the bottom part. It will not survive from too much drops. The Cambridge CXC for example has a much better built remote. The labeling on the keys is poor (for my aging eyes) and the overall feeling not great.
- the display... well it really could be much better. I really don’t care about the animation aspect of displays on audiophile products. The lower dimmed setting is still too bright and the time information could be much bigger, and the disc picture is totally irrelevant. In fact Audiolab could offer various options of display arrangements and we could choose from the menu. There is a “turn off” option and that is the good thing about it. This is not a display for audiophiles but for the lifestyle users.

And then I put a CD in:
Amazing feel of the drawer movement (thanks TEAC) and all is very quiet an robust, so in the end, still considering the minus mentioned above (that could be corrected) it is really impressive for this price point... especially when I also got a special weekend 18% discount on the price of all sealed units, which resulted in a 1070 euros affair. Great price.
As for the sound... I will take some time to do all comparisons, so stay tuned :)

great write up. i use a marantz sa8005 which has a superb remote . there is a superb moon 260d cd transport in some classifieds but too expensive atr the moment . good to read your thoughts on this one which i would like to compare with the marantz sometime

great write up. i use a marantz sa8005 which has a superb remote . there is a superb moon 260d cd transport in some classifieds but too expensive atr the moment . good to read your thoughts on this one which i would like to compare with the marantz sometime

The great Moon 260DT was on my radar especially when a second hand deal caught my attention on the national market... but in the end I choose to buy the 9000CDT for the less money and with no mileage whatsoever. Repairing faulty CD transports could be expensive.
According to my time with the 9000CDT I have no regrets at all :)

advertisement

Back