advertisement

Audio Innovations Valve amps

I currently have a zero feedback triode one using 6sn7gt's - it has far too much gain for this setup, so I've just bought my first TVC - a second hand promitheus. (The TVC was another tip from David Wright. )

Hi chaps,
Newbie here looking for some tips / advice on output tubes.

I recently picked up a s500 after owning a s300 for the last 15 years. It came with sovtek 5881's which are a little harsh for my liking. I'd like to try some Mullard EL34's but they’re stupidly expensive. A techie I know suggested KT77's as a drop in replacement and there are JJ and Genalex reissues out there which I could try. I've got a mixture of vintage Mullard and Telefunkens in the phono, preamp and phase inverter stages and I love the smooth and rich tones that those valves produce.

Anyone had experience of the KT77's (can they drop right in ?) or similar recent production EL34's, or are there other vintage brands I should consider ?

Thanks in advance

I have experience of GEC KT77s and also JJ KT77s, as well as various EL34s. The GEC Gold Lion Kt77s are said to be the best tubes ever made (by William Johnson, President of Audio Research). All KT77s are 'drop in' direct replacements for EL34s. In my opinion, no EL34 comes anywhere a KT77. I would never consider usiing an EL34 again. I can highly recommend the JJ KT77s. There is not much difference between them and the Gold Lion GEC KT77s. I haven't tried the Genelux.

I note that you like 'smooth, rich' sound of your current valves: therefore you might not like KT77s: they are more accurate and more dynamic than EL34s. The best thing is for you to hear a set first.

I currently have a zero feedback triode one using 6sn7gt's - it has far too much gain for this setup, so I've just bought my first TVC - a second hand promitheus. (The TVC was another tip from David Wright. )

Well it'll be quiet. My problem with using TVC's with high input sensitivity power amps is just that they require you to use the TVC in positions where they are doing alot of attenuating ie where the transformers are transforming alot. In my experience, TVC's work progressively less well the more they transform (attenuate)

Thanks for the reply eguth,
I like dynamic and accurate (I'm a decca cartridge fanatic;) so may give the JJ's a try. Just heard a few bad reports on the quality control issues with them. They're pretty cheapish compared to the Genalex reissues though.

Cheers

Well, I've never tried a TVC before. A second hand promitheus is dirt cheap (£190) so I should be able to sell it for about the same if it doesn't suit this setup.
I'll give a review when my AI amps come back - I'll try the pre-amp versus the TVC.
It's taking a long time to get the amps back from Mr Wright - there are issues with the supply of Mundorf foil caps at the moment, so I'm still waiting patiently.
Craig

i have an s500 waiting at home, delivered today, i think it is an early one as it has the 16 ohm taps and the RCA conns on the side ( unless all of them had that??)

i think i have asked this question before ( but cant find it!) but can the 5881 be dropped straight in instead of the 34's, no mods? had a s700 go pop with the 34's in before i got chance to hear it so I am thinking of getting the 5881s before I start.

aslo out of the 34 and 5881 installed in an s500 which has the most grippy sound in the lower registers?

Hi folks - does anyone know anything about "Audio Innovations" old valve amps from the late 80's and 90's? They had a perspex acrylic top and the valves sat behind. I think they were the 500 and 700 series, but I'm not sure.

Are they a possible good used buy for a first dalliance with glowing tubes?

Any experiences would be welcome!

BY

2482759900_3b0e30f17d_o.jpg

I remember back in the late 80's going to some weird terraced house in Brighton and listening to a Voyd reference with an auidonote MC, Audio Innovations monoblocks and preamp and some huge speakers (i think they were impulse).

Impressive sound but it was no Linn Sondek that's for sure !

I remember back in the late 80's going to some weird terraced house in Brighton and listening to a Voyd reference with an auidonote MC, Audio Innovations monoblocks and preamp and some huge speakers (i think they were impulse).

Impressive sound but it was no Linn Sondek that's for sure !

I should hope not. A Voyd Ref would stomp all over an LP12.

:D It's like travelling back in time to when dinosaurs walked the earth. Amazing.

Bourney, you should be able fit the russian 5881's (matched pairs) directly into a Series 500 without adjustment.

This kind with the flat disc base are affordable & extremely robust.
http://www.wiwitubes.com/pic/tube/PAN5881~6l6wgc.jpg

They might be branded Sovtek, Chelmer or whatever.

It's a cracking amp. When used with suitably sensitive loudspeakers, more than a match for any of the Naits IMO (XS included). But hey, what would I know - i'm into the pipe n' slippers soft valve sound LOL.

i have an s500 waiting at home, delivered today, i think it is an early one as it has the 16 ohm taps and the RCA conns on the side ( unless all of them had that??)

i think i have asked this question before ( but cant find it!) but can the 5881 be dropped straight in instead of the 34's, no mods? had a s700 go pop with the 34's in before i got chance to hear it so I am thinking of getting the 5881s before I start.

aslo out of the 34 and 5881 installed in an s500 which has the most grippy sound in the lower registers?

My s500 (mk2) came with the sovtek 5881's which had been run for around 8 years so yes I'm sure that they can drop right in on the mk1 model you have.
If you have the budget (around £120 a quad) give the Gold Lion KT77's re-issues a try. I've had them for a few weeks now and they've really started to open up and are a fantastic sounding alternative to vintage and often mega expensive EL34's. They easily out shine the sovtek 5881's and have been steady as a rock in my amp. They are really well made and it's good to see a quality new production valve with great tone, space and dynamics. I tried the JJ KT77's which are ok (quality control issues imo) but the GL's beat them ears down ))
Another to try are the russian military 6P3S-E available for around £18.00 quad on ebay. I've had them running too with no problems, and for the price they are a sonic bargain. Really smooth and open but not quite as dynamic as the GL KT77's.

Hope this helps.

Walking down under the bridge into the North Lanes In Brighton about '87 a beautiful AI amplifier in the window of a little shop on the left of the street, and I was woooed into the world of Audio Innovations. Years later, a writer coming into my flat in Manchester referred to the "male jewellry" which sadly I didn't have the quick (or even slow) rebuttal to. But I stayed with these beautiful amplifiers until two years ago and still miss the best of them - the First Audio power amp. So, seek one out, especially perhaps the First Audio and enjoy the sound of an amplifier that is "up there" with the very best. Being 'up there' you will become aware of the 'down there' sides too. Valves are readily available but expensive (Watford Valves is superb), and they will worry you about once or twice a year. But commit yourself and you will have a fantastic system. End of essay .... bye

advertisement

Back