advertisement

Audio Innovations Valve amps

hi, Craig,
happy to hear the 2nds work :)
of the annoying hum, many times the cause of it is the very short AN-S input cable's location relative to the mains transformer. try first moving it as far from the mains trafo (and as close to the oputput one) as you can - originally there was a plastic strap fitted to keep the cable in place -, in most cases it prefectly cured the problem - even tough it was just some cm's (you know how improtant these cm's can OTHERWISE be ;) ) cheers :)

Thanks Coltrane. The cable was indeed diverted (deliberately) towards the mains transformer:

editMedia.jsp

So I moved them to a more neutral position - I don't know how hot that big ceramic resistor will get, so I steered clear of that too.

editMedia.jsp

The noise is still there though. Its most pronounced when listening to the phono input on my preamp, in which case the hum gets louder as I turn up the volume. On all the line level inputs, the noise is less, and stays constant whatever I do with the volume knob.

None of this noise was there with my trusty old Stereo 20, even with the wick turned up. Can the SAA really be meant to be this noisy? I read somewhere that DHT designs mean you have to live with a little noise. This is more than a little though.

Thank you for your help so far Gents. Its surprisung, and really fantastic to find this level of knowledge and assistance.

Any more suggestions before I contact Mr Wright?

Craig

i'm sorry i could be of no help this time :( then you should really get in touch with D.Wright as suggested by puresound (actually the links don't work saying 'status has expired...')

Hello guys !

Can someone tell me what OTRs were used in AI700,800mk3,Classic25 ?
I need to know their primary impedance (Ra-a).

thanks,
Leslie

Hi, pure sound,
I am using L1 and AI 1000mk3 for 14years after I bought them in London and feel replacement of some parts is necessary. I would appreciate it very much if you kindly e-mail me schematics for both amplifiers. Thanks.

Sorry, hijacking threads by a new user, but so far I have had no luck locating a schematic for my AI S1000 mk3 monoblocs and wondered if I could beg, borrow or buy the schematics if they are still available?

I love my mk3's a great deal and am slowly working on them to locate the reason for why the Border Patrol guys seem to think all EL34s are inherently prone to internal short circuits when other amps so obviously work fine with them. Blowing of the resistors seems to be common and I'm determined to find the real root cause. I'm finding overvolt caps and poor power supply (again overvolt) caps that won't be helping but it would be a real advantage to have the schematics.

Results will obviously be posted here by way of thanks.

Steve.

PS, if anyone is interested, my system comprises:
Logitech Squeezebox Duet - Audio Innovations S1000 mk3 monoblocs - Kef 104/2 Speakers - BT025 Conditioner (4amp)
In the pipeline: Home build valve DAC - Home build valve pre-amp - iPod Classic conversion to optical output (close to completion but on hold)

Hello,

I've my AI 1000 mk3 for about 17 years, without any problems, but this year I've a lot of problems with them :(.

Here in Portugal a friend, an old AI distributer (Francisco from Luz e Som), talk me about the Border Patrol Kits.

I don't want to change the valves (like they say) :), but the other things ?

I'm using by now Electric Harmonix EL34 (the last ones was the JJ), I prefer the EH.
And for ECC82 and 83 the TEONEX MULLARD (I need to change them to) any suggestions because i can't find them any more :(:(:( ?

AIKEF is it possible to send me the schematic for my AI S1000 mk3 monoblocs.

Thanks

pm me your email address & I'll send the schematics.

From the new production valves I like the Sovtek 12AX7LPS and the JJ ECC803. And the JJ ECC802 to replace the 82's.

The EH EL34's are very similar to the Sovtek EL34's that the amplifiers were originally sold with and are a good choice.

Say hello to Francisco.

rgs

Guy

tomaneporto

Here is a link that's not easily found regarding a guy called David Wright, he's in the UK and apparently does still work on AI amplifiers.

http://www.borderpatrol.net/aiind.htm

HOWEVER, I would highly recommend asking Guy (pure sound) if he considers David to be worthy as I happen to be able to trust what Guy says! Base your decision on that.

It's a shame you have been experiencing problems with your mk3s, but, as we know, as these amps are really a very simple design, there isn't much that will go wrong with them that cannot be fixed, if anything!

Good luck my friend, keep us informed as to how you get on?

Steve

pm me your email address & I'll send the schematics.

From the new production valves I like the Sovtek 12AX7LPS and the JJ ECC803. And the JJ ECC802 to replace the 82's.

The EH EL34's are very similar to the Sovtek EL34's that the amplifiers were originally sold with and are a good choice.

Say hello to Francisco.

rgs

Guy

I Guy, thank you very much I PM my email.

You know Francisco ? Wonderful, I’ll tell him.

I'll get the JJ ECC802 and 803 (where can I buy them ?).

What do you think about the Border Patrol Power Supply ?

rgs,

Tomane

tomaneporto

Here is a link that's not easily found regarding a guy called David Wright, he's in the UK and apparently does still work on AI amplifiers.

http://www.borderpatrol.net/aiind.htm

HOWEVER, I would highly recommend asking Guy (pure sound) if he considers David to be worthy as I happen to be able to trust what Guy says! Base your decision on that.

It's a shame you have been experiencing problems with your mk3s, but, as we know, as these amps are really a very simple design, there isn't much that will go wrong with them that cannot be fixed, if anything!

Good luck my friend, keep us informed as to how you get on?

Steve

I Steve, thanks for the BP link, I think I will tried only the Power Supply from BP (let see what Guy says about that), because is one of the problems I had with one AMP.

thank you for preciouse help

rgs

Tomane

The question was asked whether Mr Wright comes recommended? Well, I spoke to him last week about my newly acquired 2nd Audios, and I must say I was very impressed by his depth of knowledge, by the amount of time he spent discussing the various mods and options open to me, and by his obvious affection for these amps. I am definitely going to send mine to him for a full service ( he explained that all the caps and rectifiers will be replaced, and he will investigate my noise problems if they still exist).

He also had time for a general chat about valve choices, and turned me on to the idea of TVC pre-amps as an ideal match for the highly sensitive AI's. A really nice guy.

I will give you a proper opinion when the work's been done. There's a delay because he went on his hols last week, and isn't back until 7/6/10. (That's when I'm going to post them off to him.) So don't expect an instant response if you email him before the 7th - he isn't there.

Craig

Pure sound,

I received today the normal (don´t bought the gold ones) JJ ecc802 and 803.
I'll burn them for about 4 days, after that I'll say something.

Regarding to the PSU I’d talk with Franciso, they know the people from "Pauca Sed Bona", so I'm waiting for the answer from him.

One more time thank you very much for your precious help.

rgs.

Tomane

A total of 5 hours spent on my S1000 pair this weekend.
All the Italian made plastic valve sockets on the EL34 were replaced with Beltons as did the ECC82 & 83 sockets, all had seen better days. I almost had to force the valves into them, amazing fit!
A pair of overvolt caps (C16 I believe) were replaced just for safety's sake and the coupling caps were replaced by eight Obligatto Premium 630 volt jobs.
Finally eight new Fat Bottle 6CA7EH went in alngside 4 new ECC82 and 4 new ECC82.

Result?

Already, it's taken the amps from the faithful 8 year old Golden Retreiver that never puts a foot wrong and is always 100% faithful to the same Golden Retriever, only a three month old waggy-tailed bundle of life and joy.

I shall hold off a decent report until the new valves have had chance to burn in for 50 hours or so, but if this is a sign of things to come.....wow!

advertisement

Back