advertisement

Audio Innovations Valve amps

Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying to your very informative answer to my query.
Dear "AudioAI", thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. The job is done and WOW! it is so good to hear my "Special Edition" working AT LAST!.
I couldn't even listen to my "AI Series 200" pre-amp as it doesn't have a headphone socket but, my fifty-one year old Wharfdale Linton II, that I bought in 1972, are rocking.........THANK YOU!!!!!

First post guys and this thread has a brain melting amount of technical information within, i tried to pretend i was following it; but I'm out of my depth for sure. I have a pair of AI Mono block Amps: 500 i believe and the last work undertaken was Border Patrol in 2016. One has stopped working without fuss: just no sound and no sign of power (the lead is still powered). I'm in central/west Scotland and would like to have the unit back functioning as a minimum. I'm seeking recommendations and i can't find the people I see mentioned in earlier (possibly outdated) earlier replies to this thread. can you help? thanks

Hi, I can help and am in Wimbledon. But it's probably as simple as the fuse inside the Border Patrol power supply unit
David

Did they do a monobloc 500 ? Thought it was Series 1000, 1st or 2 nd’s

no 500 monos - however, AI produced a limited number of 800 monos before making the 1st Audio, etc. later, as well. I, thus, assume the OP's units are these precious 800s

The 10th anniversary edition utilised some better components and a heavily silver plated circuit board and Audionote silver wiring from the inputs to pcb. If I recall the 3 centre front valves are ECC83s and the outer two are ECC82.

AI made 2 'official' mono amps. The first were the Series 1000 using parallel push-pull EL34s (4 per amplifier) for 50W per channel. There was the original version, a Mk2 and a Mk3

The other were the Second Audio amplifiers which utilised, at first 6B4G and later 2A3 power triodes again in a parallel push-pull configuration. Input circuitry changed a couple of times too although these amps were never denoted as Mk2 or Mk3.

While the stereo First Audio amplifier was being developed, the company did also make perhaps 25 pairs of mono amps based on the old, stainless steel Series 800 metalwork. These used a pair of 6B4G in push-pull to give 7.5W output, the power transformer from a Series 300 and Savage (Devizes) output transformers. Some were sold in the UK, most were sold in Denmark via PQ's 4 AudioConsult shops.

Like these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14522964...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Not read the whole thread do my apologies if I duplicate, I had a series 500, perspex lid integrated in the early 90s, sounded fantastic when it worked, luckily I knew a valve wizard to fix it when it went wrong, which was often. RIP Mr Turrell

Hi everyone, new to this forum.

Just like some information on the AI L200 pre amp what valves are used.
Below should be a picture of the pre amp.

There are only four valves.
Starting from the left is a 12AX7WX sovtek valve
The front one of the middle pair is a ECC83 Telefunken.
The one at the back is also a ECC83 12AX7 Mullard.
The far right is a 12AU7WA cv4003 ( could be a brimar brand ?)

Does anyone know if this is correct? Should the ECC83’s be a matched pair ?
I’ve been using this preamp for the last 18 months will very good sounds.
The System is L200pre, quad 306 power, speakers are markaudio cesti B’s
The main source is vinyl, funk firm LSD turntable fitted with a koetsu black cartridge, then a hagerman valve phone stage.

Would like to look into tube rolling on this pre, if anyone has any advice.

Thanks Steve

It's a Series 200 Pre which was normally just an MM phono stage but this one has the additional MC stage (the ECC83 to the left). btw 12AX7 is an ECC83.

The valves are in the correct positions. All the valves would benefit from being matched internally ie they are double triodes and each triode element could do with having the same gain as its other half. Also the gain of the two 'middle' valves could do with being matched to one another.

But if you're using a Hagerman phono stage into one of the 200's line inputs, you don't need to switch it on as the line inputs & attenuation are entirely passive. Maybe try your Koetsu straight into it (powered up of course) with the phono input switched to MC and see how you get on.

Re tube rolling, vintage Mullard or Telefunken valves are very nice but very expensive. Of new production valves I'd recommend the Slovakia made JJ ECC803 and ECC802 Gold Pin variety

advertisement

Back