advertisement

Audio aesthetics disasters : what were they thinking.

The thing about the Gyrodec is that it has to be seen when spinning. A JPG is just a bit meh - has to be a GIF

PS : hands off the Beolab 5. It's a masterpiece of design. I've often thought about making a DIY pair

OK, I'll put my neck on the chopping block... I have never gotten on with the Gyrodec, looks-wise, even though for some it's the pinnacle of audio design:

GyroDec+gallery+-+6-1920w.jpg
I don’t like it either, the spinning gold bits would induce migraine

Beoplay-A9-2.jpg

These B&O speakers looks like someone has bought a flat pac coffee table from IKEA and somehow managed to assemble it a bit wrong.

Then I wonder if it's advertised as 'wireless'?

I'm a great fan of form following function.

m-22.JPG

But I have yet to figure out why the input and speaker terminals are located in the front of the amp, rather than the back.

Not ugly at all in my estimation. Just purposeful.

Perfect for the box-swappers among us.

I'm a great fan of form following function.

m-22.JPG

But I have yet to figure out why the input and speaker terminals are located in the front of the amp, rather than the back.

Not ugly at all in my estimation. Just purposeful.

Not sure the form follows the function, more the parts it’s made from, a potato peelers form follows it’s function but I don’t think an amplifier does.

Not sure the form follows the function, more the parts it’s made from, a potato peelers form follows it’s function but I don’t think an amplifier does.
To the extent that there is zero bling with the M-22, I'd say its form follows function more so than many other amplifiers. However, it does have a rather clever design, which is to locate the four 33,000uF storage caps outside, and well away from the heat of always-on transistors.

Funny how we're all different. The Gyrodec for me is the most beautiful audio design ever created and even though I had an LP12 for many years (bland and boring design wise) I always hankered after one. I own one now, but have Orbe'd the platter so it's lost the spinning weights, audio needs must though :D

In terms of hideous there are plenty to go at, but I was looking at the pics thread the other day and saw plenty of posts loving the Nagra pre-amp in there.... looked at it and nearly fell off my chair, it's utterly awful in every way. I know this won't make me popular, but I tell it like I see it:

3KM1rPC.jpg

As you say, " funny how we're all different" , one mans bland and boring can be another's understated and classic.

I would tend towards the view that the Nagra is moderately ugly. It's much easier to make oversized stuff ugly, so this is quite an achievement.
OTOH it's still a long way behind Chord stuff, even though it bears some resemblance.

advertisement

Back