advertisement

Audio aesthetics disasters : what were they thinking.

AV8

pfm Member
Following on from the SME6 design disaster I'd like to nominate this :

Absolute horror show.

dims

I’d like to nominate every blingy over-sized CNC machined amp/DAC/CD and faceted painted MDF speaker on the planet. Every time Stereophile lands on the doormat I’m just left astonished by how far things have moved from the timeless aesthetic purity of the best of the ‘50s through to ‘70s. Nothing silver looks as anythung like good as a ‘70s Marantz or Pioneer, nothing small-footprint or minimal looks as clean and perfectly designed as a Braun, Quad, Tandberg, B&O etc, and even the companies that could make cool looking statement kit such as Audio Research, McIntosh etc have dropped the ball with little beyond ostentation and vulgarity these days. But the speakers are the worst! I guess the whole painted MDF thing started with Wilson, but they are far from the bottom, there are some quite staggeringly ugly things out there these days to my eyes. We seem to have learned nothing from mid-century modernism, minimalism etc. Modern hi-fi needs aesthetic designers. Desperately.

I like the Kraken design, not so much the mk2 silver with bling gold knobs. The mk1 green industrial look more to my liking.

Tim de Paravacini makes great gear, but they shouldn't let him anywhere near the Letraset. The average piece of EAR equipment seems to use about 6 different fonts, and none of them elegant.

868_copy.jpg

But Chord win the "Is it an amp or an air conditioner?" contest. Terrible blingy design that makes literally no sense.

Ultima-Pre-Angle-900x675.jpg

To be honest it's difficult to pick one ugly brand, all of the above are awful as I find the vast majority are nowadays, I'm guessing that they're designed to appeal to a certain demographic, those with money and poor taste

I’m trying to figure out whether a lot of the real high end bling stuff is so loud/ugly/brightly illuminated because it needs to be noticed in some godawful Trump/Putin-style gold oligarch palace. Much of it would never look ok in a typical living room, and I say that as someone with massive 1960s Lockwood studio monitors in a typical three-bed Victorian terrace!

I’m trying to figure out whether a lot of the real high end bling stuff is so loud/ugly/brightly illuminated because it needs to be noticed in some godawful Trump/Putin-style gold oligarch palace. Much of it would never look ok in a typical living room, and I say that as someone with massive 1960s Lockwood studio monitors in a typical three-bed Victorian terrace!

A lot of it is initially impressive, big, bold and expensive looking aesthetically but on repeated viewing wears your eyes out.

advertisement

Back