advertisement

Audio aesthetics disasters : what were they thinking.

And it keeps on coming... :eek:

Korton0002.jpg

proof of the saying that money can't buy you good taste.

"I have two goals.
The first is that everything I do as a designer must have an idea: it cannot just look nice.
The second is, it has to look nice."

Paul Rand.

John Michell had an idea, and a consistent approach. That's worthy of respect whether you like the end result or not.

OK, I'll put my neck on the chopping block... I have never gotten on with the Gyrodec, looks-wise, even though for some it's the pinnacle of audio design:

GyroDec+gallery+-+6-1920w.jpg

I love it, especially in the full acrylic case with lid, though that isn’t the arm I’d pick aesthetically (I’d go SME, Graham, Morch something like that). It is the logical end-point of the beautiful Transcriptors kit of the ‘60s and ‘70s.

I love it, especially in the full acrylic case with lid, though that isn’t the arm I’d pick aesthetically (I’d go SME, Graham, Morch something like that). It is the logical end-point of the beautiful Transcriptors kit of the ‘60s and ‘70s.

A Morch would be a good choice aesthetically. I think the Hydraulic Ref. is a good-looking 'table -- but only with a record on the platter!

I'm a great fan of form following function.

m-22.JPG

But I have yet to figure out why the input and speaker terminals are located in the front of the amp, rather than the back.

Not ugly at all in my estimation. Just purposeful.
Maybe the bloke who stuck the logo on put them all on the wrong side?

OK, I'll put my neck on the chopping block... I have never gotten on with the Gyrodec, looks-wise, even though for some it's the pinnacle of audio design:

GyroDec+gallery+-+6-1920w.jpg

Kubrick had Alex play Beethoven on the original Hydraulic Reference TT, so you gotta be wrong!

Kubrick had Alex play Beethoven on the original Hydraulic Reference TT, so you gotta be wrong!

Steve Jobs was a Gyrodec owner too. I think the Gyro design is pretty timeless, but personally not totally to my tastes. I do, however, really like the Tecnodec - aesthetically speaking.

No, I probably wouldn't either. I bet it's a bugger to dust.

It is, especially the full acrylic version, I loved mine when I first bought it but found over time that I couldn't be bothered with the clamp, was a pain to keep clean and found the spinning gold weights rather tiring.

advertisement

Back