advertisement

Audio aesthetics disasters : what were they thinking.

I know they can be amazing but I really struggle with MBL speakers, sorry:

3-F4-F7-C3-C-19-AF-43-AB-B9-EA-1-D2-D81-FBF66-E.jpg

That stand also takes some beating...

The speakers certainly look like something from Star Trek.
“Beam me up, Scottie, from this room.”

I think the thing with painted MDF speakers, like Wilsons et al, is they fit into modern contemporary furnished houses, so it depends on your taste in home decor. I grew up in my parents house and they loved Louis 14th period furniture, like this below.

2880px-Château_de_Versailles%2C_cabinet_du_Conseil%2C_table_console_rocaille%2C_recouverte_d’un_plateau_de_marqueterie_de_marbre.jpg

To me this looks OK in a large stately home, but looks totally out of place in a large 1920s family home. 20-30 years ago I quite liked antique furniture, but now I much prefer the cleanliness and simplicity of modern contemporary furniture. I guess it all about people's taste in such things.

Reminds me of Marantz's Gyro Touch Tuning from the 70's. Who needs opposable thumbs when you've got Gyro Touch?

Marantz_ST400_web_tuning_knob_600x450_pixels.gif

This always got great praise in the aesthetics department. The casework was designed by an industrial designer from the Royal College of Art.

syren-HR.jpg

Kind of reminds me of Marantz's Gyro Touch Tuning from the 70's. Who needs opposable thumbs?

Yes, that where the idea for the controls came from. I had a Marantz 10B tuner at the time. Since then no one else has implemented such controls.

advertisement

Back