advertisement

Audial Model S DAC

Now getting another major lift in sound quality running capacitor output into a very high spec transformer volume control direct into my power amplifier. Sublime!
What were you using originally? Also curious to know if the Innous was better than your Mac?

Not wanting to go off topic but can you share more details about it? :)
Originally I was using the Audial into my modded, integrated 845 valve amp, or MOSFET power amp but I can also use the 845 amp as a power amp avoiding the motorised Alps pot, but this means an external preamp. THE TVC (transformer volume control) is a special high quality transformer with 30 output taps each offering 2db steps of attenuation. I don't know the brand as it was gifted to me by a longstanding client but I'm told it reviewed exceptionally well-and cost a few grand. I've yet to try my own brand Satchmo preamp but either of these tools always offers a decent increase in sound quality over running into the 845 integrated and of course the MOSFET power amp needs some sort of intermediary device. The Innuos has always been streets ahead of the Mac-and it should be. While I bought each component secondhand the current retail price is around £4,500 compared to the £340 the Mac Mini cost.

Just when I've got mine! Not worried about remote but the improvement to the output stage would have been nice........
Yep, can’t imagine why someone would want a remote for a dac.

How is yours coming along?

Yep, can’t imagine why someone would want a remote for a dac.

How is yours coming along?
Sorry, but then your imagination is sorely lacking, I use my remote with Primare Dac30 dac to change between the tv and music system, very convenient.

One of the biggest differences is on Internet radio where the Eversolo sounds much worse on low bitrate material

Internet radio is pretty much all I stream (otherwise I put on a record) and I'm curious about improving the sound of low bitrate stuff. To what do you attribute the better sound you're getting -- to the Innuos or the Audial, or both? (This topic may be worthy of a thread... I'm also weighing whether it's worth bothering with upsampling.)

I listen to a lot of low bitrate internet radio as background music while working. Mainly Radio France Jazz and Classical streams. These sound really good via my Innuos server and any of my DACs but pretty unlistenable via the A6 as source. Some have suggested the unit may have been faulty but I can't conceive a fault that could cause that. As a loaner I wasn't going to investigate further

Radio France Jazz

Ha! I'm a FIP addict and listen pretty much all day, much to my wife's chagrin. I'm currently streaming Roon via a Sonore ultraRendu and fancy power supply, into an RME DAC. It sounds better than it has any right to, honestly... but I've had it in the back of my mind to at least try something else at some point. Which Innuos product do you have?

Sorry, but then your imagination is sorely lacking, I use my remote with Primare Dac30 dac to change between the tv and music system, very convenient.
I get up off the lounge and change it. My previous 2 amps didn‘t have a remote so I am used to the activity. My current Sugden does have a remote which is getting some use.

I would guess if the dac is only used for music and one input then it would not matter a lot, but I sometimes time watch music on YouTube or someone on YouTube is recommending some good tunes, then it is nice to be able to use a remote, I never understood why people would be so reluctant to use a remote.

Would love to be able to compare the Audial S or S5 to my MHDT Orchid. I really, really like the sound of the venerable TDA 1541 chip... Just seems to get out of the way and let the music come through, in an R-to-R, NOS implementation.

advertisement

Back