advertisement

At last... (Audiolab) - part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure I understand your question, but MDAC's Reclocked Digital outputs CAN be connected to an external DAC if you wanted.... Not sure why you would...

John

Hi John

I am considering the MDAC for it's extra features, display information and remote control, but would like to connect it to my existing DAC, at least initially, for comparison purposes and the flexibility of using either DAC for some sources.

Thanks for your help.

Hi John

I am considering the MDAC for it's extra features, display information and remote control, but would like to connect it to my existing DAC, at least initially, for comparison purposes and the flexibility of using either DAC for some sources.
What is your existing DAC?

(I echo John's "why?")

What is your existing DAC?

(I echo John's "why?")

Benchmark DAC1 USB.

I also use a DacMagic for switching duties via the digital 'pass through' output.

Very happy with the Benchmark but would like remote control.

Rather than 'upgrading' to the Benchmark DAC1 HDR (with remote) I was considering the MDAC.

currently I (and probably many other CDQ users) can be a little annoyed and disappointed reading the above comment...
Why should you be "annoyed and disappointed"? I am an "other CDQ user" and I'm looking forward to the MDAC.

Isn't it generally the case that newer products offer something superior to that which came before?

I get "annoyed and disappointed" when products that purport to be new prove to offer nothing more than an external facelift.

Why should you be "annoyed and disappointed"? I am an "other CDQ user" and I'm looking forward to the MDAC.

Isn't it generally the case that newer products offer something superior to that which came before?

I get "annoyed and disappointed" when products that purport to be new prove to offer nothing more than an external facelift.

Okay, maybe my perspective is a little skewed because I just bought my CDQ... Anyway, I was aware from John's earlier posts that MDAC offers some improvement in the SQ, but to read now that it is MUCH better and cheaper (I know, it was about DQ) makes me feel like I made a bad decision buying the CDQ now...

John

As we only have one Clock output connection (either Optical OR Coax), only one Clock-locked device can be supported.
I understand your answer :)
but...

what would actually happen in practice if an 'incorrect' output clock were fed to a source device?

(I know that 'depends' will be part of the answer... And I'm not asking for any 'authorised' process here... just wondering ;))

Thanks

If you need a disc spinner the CDQ is the answer. I am thinking of buying an MDAC then subsequently selling it to fund the upgraded output stage to the CDQ.

apart from form factor then i'd say the DQ meets that description - so difficult to see a development of the MDAC to effectively compete with it?

are there any plans for a product that would consist of MDAC with additional analogue input(s)....?

QMDAC or something like that has been mentioned. I'm in the same position as you - looking for the additional analogue inputs. QMDAC may never even materialise though. IMO this is a missed opportunity for Audiolab.

If something happens then you'll probably have seen another birthday pass.

Get a DQ if you want something now(ish)

Benchmark DAC1 USB.

I also use a DacMagic for switching duties via the digital 'pass through' output.

Very happy with the Benchmark but would like remote control.

Rather than 'upgrading' to the Benchmark DAC1 HDR (with remote) I was considering the MDAC.

Hi John and ChrisPa

So, is this ok or will it cause any problems/degrading of DAC1 USB SQ?

Hi John and ChrisPa

So, is this ok or will it cause any problems/degrading of DAC1 USB SQ?
I just can't see the point

You'll get remote control of inputs but not of volume

And I have the strongest suspicion that the DAC1 is completely unnecessary :rolleyes:

There's an underlying implication that you believe the DAC1 is/will be superior to the MDAC and the MDAC's duties should be relegated to use as a £600 glorified remote control in comparison to the DAC1 - is that the case?

If so, why not just get the DAC1 HDR? If you can afford a £600 remote I'm sure you can afford an HDR

I just can't see the point

You'll get remote control of inputs but not of volume

And I have the strongest suspicion that the DAC1 is completely unnecessary :rolleyes:

There's an underlying implication that you believe the DAC1 is/will be superior to the MDAC and the MARX's duties should be relegated to use as a £600 glorified remote control in comparison to the DAC1 - is that the case?'

If so, why not just get the DAC1 HDR? If you can afford a £600 remote I'm sure you can afford an HDR

Don't need control of volume as would use fixed output and control volume via my amp.

Don't know what you mean by 'And I have the strongest suspicion that the DAC1 is completely unnecessary'.

Don't know if 'the DAC1 is/will be superior to the MDAC as I have not heard it yet as, unless you know different, it is still only available as 'pre order'.

As to 'the MDAC's duties should be relegated to use as a £600 glorified remote control in comparison to the DAC1 - is that the case?' What I do with items I have bought with my own money is not for you to concern yourself about.

DAC1 HDR appox. £1,600 vs MDAC £600 so £1,000 more.

As already stated 'would like to connect it to my existing DAC, at least initially, for comparison purposes...' as over time I might prefer the MDAC to the DAC1, or visa versa, so could sell either on.

As I previously said, I am very happy with the DAC1 USB but would like to try the MDAC so looking for confirmation that my proposed set-up would not cause any problems/degrading of DAC1 USB SQ?

Thanks for your help.

Hi, new member here with a question for JohnW. I recently found out about the MDAC on another audio forum and after doing a bit of research decided to put in an order for one. Being a mainly headphone user a thought occurred to me, would it be possible to hook a pair of balanced cabled headphones directly to the balanced outputs of the MDAC?

Hi, new member here with a question for JohnW. I recently found out about the MDAC on another audio forum and after doing a bit of research decided to put in an order for one. Being a mainly headphone user a thought occurred to me, would it be possible to hook a pair of balanced cabled headphones directly to the balanced outputs of the MDAC?

Yes :)

Don't need control of volume as would use fixed output and control volume via my amp.

Don't know what you mean by 'And I have the strongest suspicion that the DAC1 is completely unnecessary'.

Don't know if 'the DAC1 is/will be superior to the MDAC as I have not heard it yet as, unless you know different, it is still only available as 'pre order'.

As to 'the MDAC's duties should be relegated to use as a £600 glorified remote control in comparison to the DAC1 - is that the case?' What I do with items I have bought with my own money is not for you to concern yourself about.

DAC1 HDR appox. £1,600 vs MDAC £600 so £1,000 more.

As already stated 'would like to connect it to my existing DAC, at least initially, for comparison purposes...' as over time I might prefer the MDAC to the DAC1, or visa versa, so could sell either on.

As I previously said, I am very happy with the DAC1 USB but would like to try the MDAC so looking for confirmation that my proposed set-up would not cause any problems/degrading of DAC1 USB SQ?

Thanks for your help.

1. The MDAC will De-jitter the SPDIF feed to the DAC1 - so improve the sound quality of the DAC1.

2. The "D3E" Digital Domain Decorrelation Engine of the MDAC will also process the SPDIF output feeds - again this will improve the sound of the DAC1 when connected via the MDAC's Digital output.

3. RF leakage will be injected into the MDAC from the DAC1 so degrading the performance of the MDAC.

When performing direct comparisons between MDAC / other DAC's its better NOT to feed the second DAC from the MDAC’s Digital output as the connected DAC will gain the direct benefits of the MDAC's processing, while the MDAC will be degraded due to RF leakage from the second DAC.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back