1. CD with clock input
2. 192KHz 24 bit async USB to optical SP/DIF input to MDAC
3. DLNA control point, WiFi connection

B. HQ PSU for MDAC (single ended to balanced conversion?) below £300
4. Power on/off 12V switching
5. Remote controlled AV pass through via MDAC

C. Stereo Amplifier
6. XLR inputs, can be used as a Stereo Amp, Bi-Amp or Bridged
7. 100W per channel class A Mosfet OPS with CROSS (with a twist)

Would it be practical to revise the transport to be CD only and move options 2 and 3 into to an 'auxiliary' box containing the HQ PSU and options 4 and 5?

From my point of view I'd want the PSU, isolated 192KHz USB and 12V power on/off for your new amp, but not the other features so this would be more cost efficient. Maybe a modular set of upgrade options would be popular?

Is there any chance you'll build a monoblock version of the amp?

The plan is isolate the RF environment of a Streaming & USB connected device from the DAC - this will be achieved by using physical and optical isolation between the "Streamer" and DAC. The MDAC will be Clock-Locked to the Streamer, and therefore there will be no sonic degradation due to higher levels of random Jitter introduced by the use of Plastice fiber optical connections.

This RF / Physical isolation would not be possible if the Async 192kHz USB and Streamer where located within the PSU housing.

John

John, what do you think about this one: http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

AQUOX: "The idea of galvanical isolation improves soundquality has lots of friends but has no real advantage. The only reason for a galvanical isolation of USB in audio-setups is, if a groundloop issue makes a loud humm. USB isolators make sense in industrial environments where voltage spikes of some hundred volts or hefty noise can damage the equipment or falsify the USB-signals. Any galvanical isolation, via electronic or via transformer under normal circumstances, brings no sound improvement but is mostly sound degrading. The "evil" computers noise is coming basically through the positive power-rail from the computer - and this is interupted in the AQVOX USB-PSU.

The Solution: The powerful transformer (1-Ampere instead of the 0.5-Ampere from most USB-ports), stabilized AQVOX USB Low-Noise linear power supply has average under 1mV ( 0.001V) noise voltage. It is equipped with unique handmade USB adaptors, of which one side is being pluged to the USB socket of the DAC or device or computer and the back side takes the USB cable´s plug. Inside that adapter only the two USB data lines and not the powerline are routed through. The 5 V power supply line coming from the computer is terminated and replaced by the clean power of the AQVOX USB-Low-Noise power supply."

Best regards,
Uwe

John, what do you think about this one: http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

AQUOX: "The idea of galvanical isolation improves soundquality has lots of friends but has no real advantage. The only reason for a galvanical isolation of USB in audio-setups is, if a groundloop issue makes a loud humm. USB isolators make sense in industrial environments where voltage spikes of some hundred volts or hefty noise can damage the equipment or falsify the USB-signals. Any galvanical isolation, via electronic or via transformer under normal circumstances, brings no sound improvement but is mostly sound degrading. The "evil" computers noise is coming basically through the positive power-rail from the computer - and this is interupted in the AQVOX USB-PSU.

The Solution: The powerful transformer (1-Ampere instead of the 0.5-Ampere from most USB-ports), stabilized AQVOX USB Low-Noise linear power supply has average under 1mV ( 0.001V) noise voltage. It is equipped with unique handmade USB adaptors, of which one side is being pluged to the USB socket of the DAC or device or computer and the back side takes the USB cable´s plug. Inside that adapter only the two USB data lines and not the powerline are routed through. The 5 V power supply line coming from the computer is terminated and replaced by the clean power of the AQVOX USB-Low-Noise power supply."

Best regards,
Uwe

The point of view against galvanic isolation in my opinion is pure rubbish!!!

MDAC does not draw ANY power from the USB bus, it uses the 5V power USB "power" line solely to signal to the MDAC that a USB Host device has been connected. Adding a 1A PSU offers no benefit.

However it would be beneficial for USB powered devices - but even these would also benefit from galvanic isolation.

In fairness about the 1A PSU, the site does say:-

"!!! ALL USB-Devices without own power supply are GENERALLY compatible !!!"

Cheers again John/dlcastles much appreciated.

The usb cables were only £1.50 each so not a problem. My initial thought was do I need a USB isolator , as I do not know how noisy my USB port is, but it seems the safe bet is just to get one anyway. As it will only improve the situation and will have no detrimental effect.

John is there usb isolator in the pipeline from yourselves ?

Cheers again John/dlcastles much appreciated.

The usb cables were only £1.50 each so not a problem. My initial thought was do I need a USB isolator , as I do not know how noisy my USB port is, but it seems the safe bet is just to get one anyway. As it will only improve the situation and will have no detrimental effect.

John is there usb isolator in the pipeline from yourselves ?

The "transport" will include an isolated Async USB 192kHz connection.

We might also sell our own isolator - but the ones that have already been mentioned here work well enough - so there’s little reason to wait for ours.

John,

I am hoping you can answer the following technical query re the MDac. I emailed Audiolab a few days ago but not yet heard back.
Currently, my system comprises of AppleTV (1stGen)/MacBook Pro with Apple Lossless Music Files burned directly from CD, Cambridge Audio DacMagic, PMC AML1 Active Loudspeakers, and Samsung D7000 display. The Dac is currently connected to AppleTV and Mac via Toslink/Optical cables and to the active speakers via the XLR outputs. The TV is connected via an optical lead to my dac and via HDMI to my Mac and AppleTV.

Whilst I am generally happy with the DacMagic, I am looking for a sound upgrade to make the most of the PMC speakers, which from what I have heard, the MDac will deliver in spades. I also need to be able to switch digital inputs and control the volume of my active speakers via remote control.

Can you confirm that in pre-amp mode, the MDac will function as both pre-amp and dac for my digital sources and that I can modify the gain levels of the sound output via the XLR outputs to my active speakers. Presumably, the remote functions can also be programmed into a Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote Control?

In my current set-up, it's fairly inconvenient to have to get up off the sofa to manually change the volume on each speaker whenever ads come up on TV or if I am switching from TV to listening to music via my AppleTV which has no volume control settings. This would also be handy for whenever the phone rings and I need to be able to quickly mute ot turn down the sound levels.

Can you also explain the functionality of the sync output on the MDac?

Also are you aware of any dealers in the UK that have the MDac already in stock?

Thanks for your help.

John,

I am hoping you can answer the following technical query re the MDac. I emailed Audiolab a few days ago but not yet heard back.

Ops - Sorry, IAG UK did Emailed me with some customer questions, but I've been too busy to reply...

Currently, my system comprises of AppleTV (1stGen)/MacBook Pro with Apple Lossless Music Files burned directly from CD, Cambridge Audio DacMagic, PMC AML1 Active Loudspeakers, and Samsung D7000 display. The Dac is currently connected to AppleTV and Mac via Toslink/Optical cables and to the active speakers via the XLR outputs. The TV is connected via an optical lead to my dac and via HDMI to my Mac and AppleTV.

Whilst I am generally happy with the DacMagic, I am looking for a sound upgrade to make the most of the PMC speakers, which from what I have heard, the MDac will deliver in spades. I also need to be able to switch digital inputs and control the volume of my active speakers via remote control.

Can you confirm that in pre-amp mode, the MDac will function as both pre-amp and dac for my digital sources and that I can modify the gain levels of the sound output via the XLR outputs to my active speakers.

Yes. In an all Digital system, the MDAC can function as a Pre-Amplifier - you can select between Digital sources and adjust the volume level.

Presumably, the remote functions can also be programmed into a Logitech Harmony One Universal Remote Control?

Never tried, but I see no reason why not - Ill Ask Dominik to publish the codes.

In my current set-up, it's fairly inconvenient to have to get up off the sofa to manually change the volume on each speaker whenever ads come up on TV or if I am switching from TV to listening to music via my AppleTV which has no volume control settings. This would also be handy for whenever the phone rings and I need to be able to quickly mute ot turn down the sound levels.

Long Press on the MDAC Remotes "Mute" Button enables a -10dB "Attenuation"

Can you also explain the functionality of the sync output on the MDac?

It’s to enable Clock-Locking with CD Transports or our future "Compatible" CD Transport / Stream device. Older CD transports from Arcam, Cambridge Audio, Deltec/DPA, Tube Technology and Pink Triangle had the ability to Clock-Lock to external Dacs. This removes the first order effects of Jitter from the SDPIF Interface. The SPDIF Link is ONLY used for Data - while the MDAC provides the Clock TO the CD transport / external Data source.

Also are you aware of any dealers in the UK that have the MDac already in stock?

Thanks for your help.

A shipment has arrived in Germany, so PFM on the Pre-order list will get there units, followed by UK dealers.

Just wondering what the difference between the mdac and the 8200dq is apart from the analogue pre amp section in the dq. More to the point which one is the best dac?

Just wondering what the difference between the mdac and the 8200dq is apart from the analogue pre amp section in the dq. More to the point which one is the best dac?

Hi Mike,

The MDAC offers more features, much higher sound quality, larger display and upgradeable in the future with a "Compatible" PSU.

MDAC Features over DQ:-

CROSS Analogue output stage
D3E Digital Domain Decorrelation Engine
Bit Perfect test
Level Meters in dB
USB Buffer Level indication
CD Track and Time on large Display
LSB Restoration - allows Bit Accurate Playback with Windows XP (using WMP)
Real Sampling frequency display with 1Hz Resolution
Large OLED display
Software upgradeable via the user
Clock-Lockable to External sources
Word-Clock Output
Re-clocked SPDIF Digital outputs (Jitter Attenuated SPDIF outputs)
USB to SPDIF Output
SPDIF Input to USB conversion (Via Future software build)
USB to AC3 / Bitstream Output (Via Future software build)

There will be a "Compatible HQ PSU" for the MDAC that will offer an upgraded PSU and also add AV bypass (Single-ended and Balanced) & 12V triggers.

Apart from the DQ’s Analogue Pre - the MDAC is a MUCH better DAC and is also cheaper...

John

sold. ill use my cobbled together flatcap with naim pre amp boards as my phono stage - ill put a volume control on it - nice stepped ladder pot.

What is the eta of the power supply and amps?

PSU will be first - followed by the Amps - at a best guess, end of January for the PSU.

John

Hi Mike,

The MDAC offers more features, much higher sound quality, larger display and upgradeable in the future with a "Compatible" PSU.

MDAC Features over DQ:-

CROSS Analogue output stage
D3E Digital Domain Decorrelation Engine
Bit Perfect test
Level Meters in dB
USB Buffer Level indication
CD Track and Time on large Display
LSB Restoration - allows Bit Accurate Playback with Windows XP (using WMP)
Real Sampling frequency display with 1Hz Resolution
Large OLED display
Software upgradeable via the user
Clock-Lockable to External sources
Word-Clock Output
Re-clocked SPDIF Digital outputs (Jitter Attenuated SPDIF outputs)
USB to SPDIF Output
SPDIF Input to USB conversion (Via Future software build)
USB to AC3 / Bitstream Output (Via Future software build)

There will be a "Compatible HQ PSU" for the MDAC that will offer an upgraded PSU and also add AV bypass (Single-ended and Balanced) & 12V triggers.

Apart from the DQ’s Analogue Pre - the MDAC is a MUCH better DAC and is also cheaper...

John

Hi John

Will any/all of the MDAC digital outputs be suitable to connect to an external stereo DAC as input(s)?

Hi John

Will any/all of the MDAC digital outputs be suitable to connect to an external stereo DAC as input(s)?

I'm not sure I understand your question, but MDAC's Reclocked Digital outputs CAN be connected to an external DAC if you wanted.... Not sure why you would...

John

John,

I hope you are serious about offering upgrades to CDQ and DQ that would bring the sound quality and DAC capabilities to the same level (or at least close) as MDAC, because currently I (and probably many other CDQ users) can be a little annoyed and disappointed reading the above comment... :(

Pawel

Hi Pawel,

I've always let it be known that the MDAC will be better then the ealier generation units - and that we will offer an update service (maybe outside of Audiolab - lets see).

John

John,

Yeah, I know... But it kinda hurts to read it when I just bought my CDQ. It's not like a had much choice, as MDAC is unlikely to appear in Poland for several months and I need a CD transport too (and an analogue input too, although I use my turntable VERY rarely these days)... And I needed it NOW...

OK, small steps - lets give my CDQ the OLED/transformer upgrade first :) Still waiting for more details on your Jeseniky location - send me a PM or an email to the address I gave you earlier, please!

Pawel

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back