advertisement

Art Dudley RIP

Some fabulous tributes to Art here which reflects the respect and affection so many feel for him. Deeply saddened to hear of his untimely passing.
RIP Art.

There are two types of audio journalist: those who can write, and those who can't. Stereophile attracted many of the former, including long-serving editor JA, Sam Tellig and Corey Greenberg. So it was fitting that Art Dudley should wash up there, and entertain us with his wisdom, insight, breadth of knowledge and a sharp sense of humour. Art's columns were compelling reading, even if one wasn't invested in his particular world of idler drives, tubes and vintage horns. His passing is a huge loss to the audio community, and my heart goes out to Art's family. Life just ain't fair!

I learned a lot from his columns and reviews over many years.

Sad news for a sad month. Jonh Prine and now Art Dudley.

Art was such a great writer. His Listener magazine was an absolute treasure. I used to laugh out loud at numerous reviews, pics and anecdotes. What other audio/music rag can you say that about? When Art joined Stereophile with his Listening column, I did try to keep the faith, but elsewhere the magazine was a chore -- interminable articles about microphone placement while recording the Cantus male choir, yawn.

Just trawled through a few Listeners, boy 25 years is a lifetime in hi-fi literature (lots of Mana glass). Things I loved about Art's enthusiasm and against-the-grain opinions:

Lowther drivers
Quad ESLs
Fi amps
Thorens record players, decades before it was vogue
Horns
A Vibrapod review picturing his cat inside several (and his cat pics in general)
Some piece about 'Danny Dare and his anti-gravity machine' (which I remember but cannot find now)

but my most cherished, to hand, from Nov/Dec 2000, has Art reviewing an obviously rather 'fiddly' tonearm by one RS Laboratory...

"in some ways the best I've ever heard.Then again, it's also the least user-friendly arm I've ever used. The whole experience has been like discovering a shirt which never fails to get me laid, but which is made out of horsehair."

RIP Art, and thank you.

Last edited:
Oh no!
He was one of the few who preferred the pre-cirkus bearing.
Would have loved to read his take on the Karousel.
Always enjoyed his reviews.
RIP Art Dudley.

Shit, I remember watching this when someone posted it here not long ago, seemed like a really genuine guy and way too young to go. RIP

I've not read a lot of his stuff TBH, but he seems like a really nice guy and I love the way he plays it down and puts hi-fi in it's correct perspective; there are few members here, that could do with watching this video. RIP Art.

...After finally getting around to send an email yesterday complaining that I’d not received my Stereophile for a fair while three copies (May, June, July) just hit the doormat today! I’m sure these events aren’t connected, but amusing nonetheless.

RIP Art Dudley, he was one of the few audio journalists I took seriously and enjoyed reading his take on things. I certainly agree with his perspective of the importance of microphone and the importance of placement etc as I used to do field recordings etc on Nagra tape recorders plus others and still surprised at how good a single mic can be.

He was a great writer. I haven't read anything written by him that was uninteresting or dull, even if I had no intention of buying the kit he was reviewing because I could not afford it or could not find room for it in my home. Often enough I found words that described the kind of soul or qualities of music replay that I was aspiring to find myself.

He was one of the very few audio writers who I read for the sheer pleasure of his words, thoughts and insight. The topic at hand was secondary at best.

advertisement

Back